JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is the breakdown by the PNW's own eyefish. Read and weep then get busy contacting WDFW!!!

"bottom line 72% of the harvest has taken place before a single WA coastal king has a chance to swim south past Cape Flattery."

faulty URL :s0092::s0092::s0092: So copy & paste time....:p

Perusing the most recent PSC chinook technical committee reports today.

Chinook | Pacific Salmon Commission

For reference, the CTC uses Queets fall chinook as the main indicator stock for the WA coast. Here's how the PSC exploitation and escapement analysis shakes out for coastal kings during the most recent 8 seasons with a full run reconstruction.... harvest years 2009-2016.

56.4% of total pre-harvest adult production is exploited in fisheries throughout AK BC and the WA coasts.

That pile of dead fish splits out like so...
AK = 48%
BC = 24%
WA = 28%
.... bottom line 72% of the harvest has taken place before a single WA coastal king has a chance to swim south past Cape Flattery.

Singling out the WA harvest alone.... (27/28) 96% are taken by tribal nets.... and only (1/28) 4% by hook and line, virtually all caught by marine trollers. The miniscule in-river rec fishery isn't even big enough to register on the CTC table as 0.1% of the total exploitation. The marine troll harvest is split 2:1 commercial over sport. In other words, commercial interests take 98.7% while sport trollers take only 1.3% of the WA coastal kings actually caught here at home.

Looking at the comm:rec split from top to bottom AK to BC to WA:

Rec trollers take (10.2/56.4) 18% of the total harvest. Local WA coast sport trollers take a measly (0.2/10.2) 2% of all the rec-caught kings originating from the WA coast. 98% of the sport-caught WA coastal kings have already vanished into some black hole in AK/BC before the first rod-down out of Neah, La Push, or Westport.

Commercials take (46.2/56.4) 81.9% of the total harvest. Out of that pile of dead WA coastal kings
AK takes 51%
BC takes 16%
WA takes 33%
.... bottom line 2 out of every 3 commercially-caught WA coastal kings have already disappeared in northern-intercept commercial fisheries before they get anywhere close to home waters.

J F C, now we know what the SRKW's must feel like. Sux balz to be at the end of the buffet line. Thanks for the opportunity, AK

Last Edited:
Just the reason right there why I/we no longer buy their overpriced tags to fish for salmon/steelhead. And I'm sure a lot of people choke just buying, or don't buy 'em at all, regular fishing licenses any more.

Just the reason right there why I/we no longer buy their overpriced tags to fish for salmon/steelhead. And I'm sure a lot of people choke just buying, or don't buy 'em at all, regular fishing licenses any more.

Yep, I know more than a few old timers in my area that have given up fishing/hunting because of the gross mismanagement of resources by WDFW.

Im another who gave up, i still buy a basic lic so i can bass fish the john day once or twice a year but since they changed that to a no limit a few years ago and the bass fishing tanked i may not even do this anymore. Thanks for taking a world class bass fisherie and ruining it in the hopes of making it a salmon steel head river since they have such a great track record.

Eyefish, that dude with the sled covered in vinyl wraps?

I presume that's who we're referring to. He seems like a pretty good guy. HUGE BOAT! He has a KILLER recipe for razor clams that involves chopping them up and dusting them with corn starch and hot frying them in oil with garlic and green onions.

Im another who gave up, i still buy a basic lic so i can bass fish the john day once or twice a year but since they changed that to a no limit a few years ago and the bass fishing tanked i may not even do this anymore. Thanks for taking a world class bass fisherie and ruining it in the hopes of making it a salmon steel head river since they have such a great track record.

I'm seriously going to start lobbying WDFW commission about adopting a Lake only license, I'm tired of paying into the salmon/steelhead/halibut/sturgeon gross mismanagement.
But then again it's just a matter of time before they totally bubblegum up the lakes...:eek::eek::eek:

He was ranting at a bunch if people as if he was Moses and a wave of his staff should cause everyone to get out of his way.

:s0114: That's always been the Way-on-the-Water from my perspective. "The bigger the boat you have, the more water you own". Guides deserve even more water, and fish,because they are earning a living. And in these parts, with the Columbia and The Willamette, riveted boats are the red headed step-children! I have a 17.5 Smoker Craft windshield boat.

As far as the harvest, has it not always been that way??? I keep hearing that the sport fish are gone, but aren't there less fish for everybody, or are the Northern latitudes, tribes, and commercial, really taking more? (I've read about those cannery boats, they're a big deal since the river canneries in AK just about destroyed their runs.)

You and I talked about this too.

I don't buy fishing or hunting license. It's sad, because I was a fishing fool, and fishing and hunting is the reason I moved to this area. But first there was my loss of income, then there was high fuel prices, then came high license prices. They've done me in until I can get a Pioneer License.

He was ranting at a bunch if people as if he was Moses and a wave of his staff should cause everyone to get out of his way.

Boat ramps are good entertainment on any day... guys yelling at their wives, friends, etc; people putting the boat in w/o the plug; people that can't get the boat on the trailer; people backing the boat trailer, and the rig, all the way into the water... it's a hoot!!! Moses sounds extra special!!

And in these parts, with the Columbia and The Willamette, riveted boats are the red headed step-children! I have a 17.5 Smoker Craft windshield boat.

That's low man... that's really low. Do you have to wear a hoodie so that people don't recognize you??? Fish wouldn't be caught dead in a boat like that!!! :p;):D

That's low man... that's really low. Do you have to wear a hoodie so that people don't recognize you??? Fish wouldn't be caught dead in a boat like that!!! :p;):D

I started out in the late '80s with a 12' lake boat and a 7.5 Eska. Fished the upper Tillamook Bay with crowds of good people in all size boats, and guides. Got Wifey her first salmon there! 30 ish lbs! On an old glass Montague with a Penn 209/30# mono. Surrounding boats parted when "Fish On!" was announced. Any way, went from that to a 13 foot Smoker/15hp Honda in '90 and the current boat in 2001. Salmon/steelhead fisherman, and their attitudes, are most definitely NOT the same as they were back then.

:s0114: That's always been the Way-on-the-Water from my perspective. "The bigger the boat you have, the more water you own". Guides deserve even more water, and fish,because they are earning a living. And in these parts, with the Columbia and The Willamette, riveted boats are the red headed step-children! I have a 17.5 Smoker Craft windshield boat.

His boat's not that big. Especially around Grady Whites and such. He was even yelling at the people in his own boat. Straight up tantrum.

His boat's not that big. Especially around Grady Whites and such. He was even yelling at the people in his own boat. Straight up tantrum.

I've only seen pics of his rig on occasion. I though it looked like a 21'-2'+. High sides. I never really followed the big water, buoy 10 stuff. I never even fished Oregon City much, for Salmon. Kinda fun to fish OC, for BASS! Toodeling around the edges, catching fish, watching the cluster-flop in the middle of the river up there. When people get too serious, like yelling at people on their boat, f-em.

I started out in the late '80s with a 12' lake boat and a 7.5 Eska. Fished the upper Tillamook Bay with crowds of good people in all size boats, and guides. Got Wifey her first salmon there! 30 ish lbs! On an old glass Montague with a Penn 209/30# mono. Surrounding boats parted when "Fish On!" was announced. Any way, went from that to a 13 foot Smoker/15hp Honda in '90 and the current boat in 2001. Salmon/steelhead fisherman, and their attitudes, are most definitely NOT the same as they were back then.

Thread drift warning (ooogah sound):

I caught both my first salmon and my first steelhead on an old 7' glass rod that my middle bro used to use (off the pier and rocks in S Cal). He had an old Penn on it that wasn't in good shape, so I put my Ambassadeur 3000D (direct drive) reel on. Fished the jetty at Brookings using a cork bobber and anchovie rig the way a guy at the Sporting Goods store told me... people were nicer then. That reel was made for bass fishing so it has a limited line capacity... the chinook darn near spooled me, but people got out of the way and one guy even netted it for me since I didn't have a salmon net. The first steelhead was caught drift fishing a homemade spinner from the bank of the Telkwa (or Bulkley, I'm not sure anymore) near Topley BC, between Prince George and Prince Rupert in the week before the start of my buddy's moose hunt there.

I've had lots and lots of boats... when the new wife objected to me getting a boat, I told her, "I've always had a boat, but there's been times w/o a wife". Then I bought a 12' boat with a Merc 10hp (too big for that boat) that I saw in somebody's front yard. Had some great times out of that boat, but it wasn't big enough for serious bass fishing on Brownlee due to the distances that needed to be covered. That was my experience with riveted boats, except for one of my friends has that boat now. (with a 5hp. I kept the 10hp and used it as a kicker on the 20' Fish and Ski that I bought... and sold a few years ago. I'm boatless again.)

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread posting...

:D:D:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews