JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
However, you're a person of limited means. Meaning you can only afford one rifle to hunt deer, elk and antelope. So, obviously this
limits you to a single caliber. I'm throwing out switch barrel rifles 'cause they are generally more expensive. You can count on a
deer tag at least every other year and an elk tag tag close to that. Antelope tags are scarce, last one I got I had I 17 points. So the
question is, considering your financial constraints, what is the one caliber rifle you would choose to hunt these critters? And why.
For me it would be a .300 Win Mag. Deer at 150 gr., elk at 180 gr. and antelope at 125 gr. All commercially available or handloaded.

6.5 CM of course! It's the bestest of the bestest to ever be best.

In all seriousness, I would go 7mm Remington Magnum. Very similar to your idea.

If running one rifle, I stick to the basics and keep it simple. One common caliber, one load, fixed or mid-range scope, no super-long or super short barrels (22 inches on standards, 24 inches on magnums).

270 Winchester, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag (magnum length action only). Honorable mentions: 7mm-08, 280 Remington.

Decent fixed 6x42, 3-9x40, 3.5-10x40

Stainless metal, McMillan stock

I kind of chuckle when I hear folks talk about using different weight bullets for different size game out of the same caliber rifle. The lighter bullet out of that magnum is just going to blow up more meat on those smaller animals. The same people usually complain about destroying so much meat with this or that bullet and how they will never use them again. I guess there is still a mystery around bullet weights/types for cartridges and what their uses should be.

i put down a nice mule deer buck this year at over 400 yards with a 123gr 6.5 grendel.

that caliber would be good for antelope too

could be used on an elk within a reasonable distance and a really good shot(s) to the vitals.

i still say 7mm mag or 300 win mag for good measure.

I went through the same thing and decided on one rifle and one load for all. 300 Win Mag loaded with Nosler 200gr Partitions. I call it my grab and go, good for everything from Deer to Red Dawn.

30-06 for the win.

1573872087270.jpeg

However, you're a person of limited means. Meaning you can only afford one rifle to hunt deer, elk and antelope. So, obviously this
limits you to a single caliber. I'm throwing out switch barrel rifles 'cause they are generally more expensive. You can count on a
deer tag at least every other year and an elk tag tag close to that. Antelope tags are scarce, last one I got I had I 17 points. So the
question is, considering your financial constraints, what is the one caliber rifle you would choose to hunt these critters? And why.
For me it would be a .300 Win Mag. Deer at 150 gr., elk at 180 gr. and antelope at 125 gr. All commercially available or handloaded.

If I were going to use a 300wm, I'd just use a 200gr Nosler partition and run it at 2900 and call it a day. Why make it more complicated than it has to be with all those other bullet weights? However, I've btdt and the 300wm is not my first choice for anything anymore. There are much more logical choices out there... Also, If I were going to just have 1 rifle, I'd want one that recoils a lot less so I can practice with it enough that I remain proficient. A 308w or 30-06 would fit the bill a little better, IMHO...

I kind of chuckle when I hear folks talk about using different weight bullets for different size game out of the same caliber rifle. The lighter bullet out of that magnum is just going to blow up more meat on those smaller animals. The same people usually complain about destroying so much meat with this or that bullet and how they will never use them again. I guess there is still a mystery around bullet weights/types for cartridges and what their uses should be.
Its not called "mystery", its called ignorance.. You put it much nicer though... :D I also liked your post, because it is spot on...

I went through the same thing and decided on one rifle and one load for all. 300 Win Mag loaded with Nosler 200gr Partitions. I call it my grab and go, good for everything from Deer to Red Dawn.
Back when I only used a 300wm, that's the bullet I chose too. It just makes the most sense...:cool:

I agree with @No_Regerts, but I would add a magnum isn't necessary, especially if a tight budget is part of the equation. Magnum ammo is a bit more pricey than non mag calibers. You can also sub a .308 for the .30-06. You can get some great deals on many of those calibers he mentioned used, as folks dump their old, perfectly adequate hunting guns for 6.5 Creedmoor or whatever passing fad comes along.
:s0093:

I agree with @No_Regerts, but I would add a magnum isn't necessary, especially if a tight budget is part of the equation. Magnum ammo is a bit more pricey than non mag calibers. You can also sub a .308 for the .30-06. You can get some great deals on many of those calibers he mentioned used, as folks dump their old, perfectly adequate hunting guns for 6.5 Creedmoor or whatever passing fad comes along.
:s0093:
The 6.5 creed is a contender. Whether some guys want to admit it or not. I shoot 2" targets with mine at 400 yards. Most of the battle in big game hunting is putting the bullet in the right spot. The other part of the equation is using the right bullet ;)

One rifle? the 30-06 has killed everything at every distance for over 100 years. Yeah, there are others that will work well, but the '06 is the standard which everything is measured against. I've hunted both sides of the state. It's my choice.

Lots of other options of this one doesn't float your boat, too.
Its not called "mystery", its called ignorance.. You put it much nicer though... :D I also liked your post, because it is spot on...
Picking one bullet for one gun makes it easy. It always shoots the same. I use 180 gr, whether it's a Sierra Game King or a Partition.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top