JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is an often overlooked factor. For most of us, improving our physical condition and skills will yield far more effectiveness in all we do as compared to focusing on gear alone. I'd rather have defense partner that is reasonable condition and knows how to use a Mauser very well than one who shows up with most up to date technology but winded from walking a mile.

I'm not in the condition I once was; old injuries have taken their toll. But I can still hump a 60 pound ruck for at least 15 miles or more. I also work out as often as I can with a Bulgarian weight bag and Indian clubs.

Not bad for an old fat broken guy. Well not real bad...

My dog saved my life! He made me walk.

I have always been muscular and strong. And my wife is just as healthy.
My time at 160 was a small portion of my life. But had a huge impact. I will keep up the fight!

I'm almost back to what I was. Maybe 5-10lbs to go. I was 190 or 195 in this pre neck surgery picture.

Sorry to hide our faces. But my wife is shy. Even thought she is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Well her smile is so lovely that we believe you about the hidden portion!
Danged cute pup too! SRG:)

I'm a type 1 diabetic, which means there is no cure, and I'm on insulin and other meds the rest of my life. That said, I still need to get into better shape. But, I can walk/hike several miles per day if needed, carrying a pack. I do that from time to time. I won't make any speed records, but I can do it. I don't worry much about SHTF, so my planning is more around the "big one" hitting and being able to get back to my family if it happens while I'm at work. If I am at my office and it hits, and assuming I survive, I've got to make it a good 15 miles back home, crossing or bypassing several bridges in the process.

I have no illusions about the fact that if we hit a true, drawn out SHTF that I probably wouldn't be around long - too long off my meds and I'd be done for. My goal is to get my wife and daughter to a safe and secure spot so that they may have a chance. Either way, I can only work within the limits I'm bound to. I know there are always folks that say you don't need medications, well, I'm one example of those that do, no way around it.

S did HTF for me. It was my day to day life.
And I was failing to thrive. Somehow I bought into the lie.
You know the one. ''I'm old and broken. And this is just the way it is''.

I think having things too easy. Is worse than being up against it?
My health scare woke me up! It was the best thing to happen to me. Without it I would have slipped slowly into the night.

And that's sad. A man should rage against the night! He should strive to be the best/strongest version of himself. As broke dick as that is.

I look around me. And all I see are men giving up. Resigning themselves to age and injury.
What 20 year old will look at us and see any future at being 40? How will we mentor the young man that deserves a strong and wise man to show them how to fight the good fight?

It's no wonder they view older man the way they do. They should live life like there is no future!
After all that's the future we have shown them?
Are we as strong as we can be? Are we fighting for our lives? Or are we failing, and making excuses for our weakness? I was. There was a time when I bought the lie. Hook, line and sinker!

I'm not talking about trying to be some kind of stud. Just not giving up! Having the fight in you to be the best ''you'' you can be. The strongest version of yourself. Mind and body.

The strength I'm talking about isn't really muscle. It's mental.

My personal battle was mine. And you all have your own set of problems to battle.
Will you fight?

I am 63 and most of my friends are older than I am and in far better health than you would expect. Commonality in their good health is they have something to live for. Friends, family, hobbies and constant projects. Also they get outdoors a lot. You learn from them old guys, not just about living longer but all the information they have picked up in a lifetime.

Older people come from a different time that in most ways were far better than what we live today, in my opinion. Some of them have some good guns to shoot too....:D

I just hit 30 last year, I know to some I am just a punk kid, but it kinda hit me hard. I have been trying to push myself to start P90X that I have had for about a year now. I am 6'3" 190lbs, but I have started to see myself gain weight. I have a fairly active job and I am and avid dirtbike rider and fisherman. I wouldn't say that I am out of shape by the new standards this country has fallen to, but I consider myself out of shape. How have some of you made that jump into the workout "water"?

I just hit 30 last year, I know to some I am just a punk kid, but it kinda hit me hard. I have been trying to push myself to start P90X that I have had for about a year now. I am 6'3" 190lbs, but I have started to see myself gain weight. I have a fairly active job and I am and avid dirtbike rider and fisherman. I wouldn't say that I am out of shape by the new standards this country has fallen to, but I consider myself out of shape. How have some of you made that jump into the workout "water"?

Just opinion and not gospel :D but what happens is you get set in a routine and take on weight even though you do physical activity. Your body learns the routine and builds a reserve called fat when ever you rest. I changed the routine and it helps a great deal in weight control. I am retired so it's easy for me but I believe if you want to keep weight off you need to eat at different times.

I eat very little after 3 pm so my body has to digest the food while I am still active during the day. Eat then rest then go to bed and the fat builds up, so just don't eat late and there is little food in the system to turn to fat. Or work out after you eat but for working people that is just too much at the end of the day. I am no expert but have learned if you want a different body weight you have to change life style. Even if it's an active lifestyle your body learns when to make fat when the lifestyle is routine.

Just opinion but an opinion by doing it myself.:D

I used to think of the mind leading my body. So if my mind lacked motivation I was stuck.

Now I suspect my body gets me up and moving more than my mind.
As I exercised and grew muscle. I also must have jump started my bodies endocrine systems.
Now these hormones produced by my body seam to get me moving?

Remember being a kid and you couldn't stop moving? I feel more like that.
Any ways I forgot my body's will to thrive. It's been a big ally for me.

Walking every day was my start. Then I cut out all medications. And drank only water most of the time.
I tried to give my body a level playing field.

When as I got stronger I pushed to do more.
The more I did the more my body wanted to do.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg thing?

I give credit to my cancer five years ago as saving my life. That and three neck surgeries got my attention! I was getting old and soft. For years I had been tearing my body apart. Now I was broken and had Cancer.

At first I could only just walk. And only a mile or so in a day. The pain was bad! And the pain meds were worse!
Surgery had fixed the cancer and my neck. Now I had to dig out of this health hole I was in. I had gone from 190lbs to 160 and had a gut. Yes. I was a skinny fat ba$tard! It was a deep hole.

If you ever find yourself in this diminished state I'll tell you what to do. Walk! Just walk! Every day. All you can. Don't worry about any work out. Just walk.

It's so simple it goes over most peoples heads.

Then stop any meds as you go. Once you start down the pill popper road it's tuff to stop. But worth getting your health and life back.

Now I walk 3-5 miles a day with the dog. And last November I started to work out at the gym 3 days a week.
I'm 6'1'' and my weight is back to 185lbs. My waist is 33''again, and I have my 16'' arms back. My blood pressure is 120/60. And I'm strong!

Not bad for a 47 year old?

Anyways I wanted to tell anyone that wants to get stronger and healthier. It can be done.
It takes time. But I was in bad shape and pulled myself out of my pit. I guess you could say I just walked out?

Man I hear that one. I had my knee bashed at work and walked with a cane for 3 years until just last year. I am finally back to 180 and 6'2" so in decent shape but I have a ways to go on my knee. I quit taking pain pills when I realized one day I took one and did not really need it...once you stop and go through that hell of withdrawal I can not imagine ever going back to them. Those things are awful for ya. I recommend doing anything but pills if you get hurt. Took me a few months to feel right after I got off them. Now I ride my bike daily to strengthen my knee and feel better than I did before the injury!
I still have to take blood pressure crap but I would survive without it...just makes me more pissy..but SHTF will be just fine to be pissy and alert.

I used to think of the mind leading my body. So if my mind lacked motivation I was stuck.

Now I suspect my body gets me up and moving more than my mind.
As I exercised and grew muscle. I also must have jump started my bodies endocrine systems.
Now these hormones produced by my body seam to get me moving?

Remember being a kid and you couldn't stop moving? I feel more like that.
Any ways I forgot my body's will to thrive. It's been a big ally for me.

Walking every day was my start. Then I cut out all medications. And drank only water most of the time.
I tried to give my body a level playing field.

When as I got stronger I pushed to do more.
The more I did the more my body wanted to do.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg thing?

I honestly think the water was one of the biggest things for my health. I drank A LOT of soda before and now I drink only water...my wife got me a SODA STREAM so I can carbonate the water at home from the tap and I drink that and coffee..nothing else. Made a ton of difference in my energy and just how I felt in general. Working out on the bike for sure makes me feel better as well but I think cutting out junk food and crap drinks is the best thing you can do.
Only 35 here but after that injury I started feeling pretty old for a while. Now I can hike into my favorite fishing, camping spots again....bring my soda stream with me...love carbonated water. Feels like a soda but does actually quenches your thirst.

It of course is the smart thing to do and be.. to be in shape, to the best of our respective circumstances. Our hands and minds are what really matters.

It of course is the smart thing to do and be.. to be in shape, to the best of our respective circumstances. Our hands and minds are what really matters.

If people had a better understanding of lifestyle they would have the use of their hands and a clear mind for a much longer time. The things we do and don't do kill us.

Without a doubt. If bad stuff happens we will need our guns. We will need our bodies a whole lot more though. Survival of the fittest! Hopefully I can survive while I get fit...

I'll tell you one thing, I don't think the Coors is helping me out on this issue at all. I like to have 2-3 beers an evening after work and I have been holding off on that lately. It has really changed my mindset not having those few beers everyday and now I am wanting to get back in shape.

Without a doubt. If bad stuff happens we will need our guns. We will need our bodies a whole lot more though. Survival of the fittest! Hopefully I can survive while I get fit...
Indeed. And good luck to you and us all in achieving and or maintaining. A sound body and mind (and perhaps some "training") is the foundation of all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top