JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:D:D and Seatle has gone up in a fireball. There is a quick rumor that LA and San Fran has gone too. Just then there is a loud far off boom and EMP has shut down all electrical including vehicles. What ya going to do??:s0114::s0114:

jj

Think of how good this will be for tourism in Portland! Now when people want to experience the west coast without getting radiation poisoning and growing a third ear they will all come here. It should be great for Oregon's economy. :D

Also, all the refugees from the neighboring states will help the housing market out of its dip. BUY PROPERTY NOW. Your house has suddenly doubled in value.

Think of how good this will be for tourism in Portland! Now when people want to experience the west coast without getting radiation poisoning and growing a third ear they will all come here. It should be great for Oregon's economy. :D

Also, all the refugees from the neighboring states will help the housing market out of its dip. BUY PROPERTY NOW.

ERRR hate to burst your bubble but that far off boom was Portland turning to ashes.:s0112::s0112:

jj

Here's a better one. You are watching the news, and a missile contrail has been spotted off the coast of LA. There is some debate over what it actually is, and the Pentagon isn't really giving out any info. What would you do?

I am gonna get my old style coffee pot and put it on the gas burner while there is still pressure and make myself a great cup of coffee

jj

:D:D and Seatle has gone up in a fireball. There is a quick rumor that LA and San Fran has gone too. Just then there is a loud far off boom and EMP has shut down all electrical including vehicles. What ya going to do??:s0114::s0114:

jj

I've done a lot of reading about EMP stuff, and the like. Vehicles and EMP... At any rate.. some quotes...

Real World EMP Effects on Motor Vehicles, by Michael Z. Williamson

See the EMPCommission.org links. The auto testing results are on page 112 of that report. They tested a sample of 37 cars. Here is a summary of the results:

Most cars will not even stall. In a test, where cars were subjected to EMP conditions, they tested both with cars turned ON, and cars turned OFF. I quote "No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure." NO EFFECTS FOR CARS THAT WERE TURNED OFF during the EMP, they just started right up.

EMP effects on cars that are running: "The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them." In other words, 90% of the cars would not even stall if they were running when an EMP happened. There were some further effects, blinking dashboard lights on some cars, etc.., read the report to see them described. Over 20% of cars experienced NO effects while running, not even burnt out radios, and to reiterate, for the cars that were OFF, there were NO effects.

Here's the conclusion of the commission for trucks: "Of the trucks that were not running during EMP exposure, none were subsequently affected during our test. Thirteen of the 18 trucks exhibited a response while running. Most seriously, three of the truck motors stopped. Two could be restarted immediately, but one required towing to a garage for repair. The other 10 trucks that responded exhibited relatively minor temporary responses that did not require driver intervention to correct. Five of the 18 trucks tested did not exhibit any anomalous response up to field strengths of approximately 50 kV/m."

An EMP could cause some cars to stall, which could definitely lead to accidents when the EMP happens. Most cars will run just fine, we will not likely see a breakdown of our auto transportation system from an
EMP.

Don't let EMP conditions scare you about your vehicles.. I still have an old VW with zero electronics in it minus the radio and the blinker flashers and after getting a 2k TDI, I figured it was time to read about it.

I have much more worry about my CBs and other communications equipment, than I would about my vehicles.

jj

Well first off if the vehicle/engine isn't running EMP will have no effect. I guess I'd have to check my generator to be sure it was topped up on oil ( need it to run the well pump) and then check which way the wind was blowing. Would this have an effect on Portland's new gun regs???

Well first off if the vehicle/engine isn't running EMP will have no effect. I guess I'd have to check my generator to be sure it was topped up on oil ( need it to run the well pump) and then check which way the wind was blowing. Would this have an effect on Portland's new gun regs???

^^

See above.. Even if it was running, it very likely would have no or little effect that would require driver intervention..

I've done a lot of reading about EMP stuff, and the like. Vehicles and EMP... At any rate.. some quotes...

Don't let EMP conditions scare you about your vehicles.. I still have an old VW with zero electronics in it minus the radio and the blinker flashers and after getting a 2k TDI, I figured it was time to read about it.

I have much more worry about my CBs and other communications equipment, than I would about my vehicles.

Won't matter as the roads in Oregon will be jammed to a stop in short order.:D Just drive the feeway any day and tell me it ain't true :s0114::confused:

jj

I am gonna get my old style coffee pot and put it on the gas burner while there is still pressure and make myself a great cup of coffee

jj

I'm going to go outside and try to catch the next one that is going to hit Albany. I hate to burst your bubble but Albany is a prime target with Oremet and Wahchang along with Both casting companies that cast titanium parts for various planes and such.

Won't matter as the roads in Oregon will be jammed to a stop in short order.:D Just drive the feeway any day and tell me it ain't true :s0114::confused:

jj

I'm well versed on trails.. I wouldn't be doing much pavement driving in that situation tbh. (With my truck anyway, not the VWs)..

In the end. Not sure exactly what I would do, or where I would go. Only that silly people in their cars would not stop me from going where I wanted to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top