JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the reasons I quit competition is because too many of the shooters were lazy and wouldn't help with the match. They were there to shoot and everyone else was their servant. They couldn't focus if they had to participate in the menial parts of competition. Too many shooters expect others to carry the load. When my partner and I quit doing the matches they all but died.

You guys want to keep doing the competition then help out.

jj

I'll look into competition when I feel more comfortable with my skills, as I have not spent a whole lot of time at the range with my rifle. Pistol on the otherhand, I just gotta find the extra few buck$ to get going!

Hey Jason, I got the run down from Gerod Saturday. I will be at a match soon. I have got to get that sticker so I can practice. Im still nervous with basicly minimal training having to shoot with experts. Im sure they will be helpful (hope). Anyway thankyou for getting me hooked on steel. I even used some of your mags from that 92 in tribute lol.

Troy

I would like to run a couple of practice sessions and then I would feel more comfortable about shooting - honestly the one problem I have about these competitons is that I would like to use my carry gear versus the stuff I have seen that is strictly dedicated to the competition. I thinl IDPA if it ever gets going would be better suited to my likes. To me the competiton gear is not sutied to my needs and hence have no desire to invest in it.
Oh yes i want to be able to use my old fashioned T-Cup hold and not this new fangled technique the instructors are forcing on everyone.

Respectfully

James Ruby

FYI, IDPA is going at TCGC.

I would like to run a couple of practice sessions and then I would feel more comfortable about shooting - honestly the one problem I have about these competitons is that I would like to use my carry gear versus the stuff I have seen that is strictly dedicated to the competition. I thinl IDPA if it ever gets going would be better suited to my likes. To me the competiton gear is not sutied to my needs and hence have no desire to invest in it.
Oh yes i want to be able to use my old fashioned T-Cup hold and not this new fangled technique the instructors are forcing on everyone.

Respectfully

James Ruby

I wanted to compete for a long time-but didn't:( I didn't know anyone that did and wasn't sure where or how to start. I wasn't sure where to go; had a lot of questions and didn't know who to ask; etc. Sure I checked out USPSA web site but I still felt uncomfortable just showing up. Then I got luckly. I met a new friend-he is a GM in USPSA and invited me a long. Thankfully he was very patient explaining the rules, customs, etc. So I went and competed a couple times, then I joined USPSA, then I bought a re-loader; now I try to make at least one match a month-sometimes two. So maybe I was just a little shy and unsure but I would venture to guess-a lot of people are in the same boat.

JGRuby,
I feel the same way you do about carry gear VS competition gear. With pistol, I just use my carry gear. I carried for work for many years, and I just used the same gear at matches as I did at work. I figured there were two types of people at the matches: 1: The ones who are there simply to compete and see how high they can place at the match, and 2: Those whose interest is in improving their skill level regardless of where they come out on the match results sheet.

Both groups have valid reasons for being at the matches. I was in group #2, and the matches helped me improve my skills tremendously. I often choose to shoot the stages in a tactically correct manner rather than in the manner that would get me to place higher at the match. My belief was that we fight like we train, and if I train myself to do things like stand out in the open and shoot rather than get to cover, that is what I will do under stress.

So you can easily get plenty of training at any kind of match (IPSC/IDPA/PPC) that will improve your skills. Any decent training beats the **** out of sitting at home on the couch talking about shooting.

Did my first match today, it was a lot of fun and gave me an idea as to what to practice (PPC/TCGC). The guy shooting to my left had his brass flying in my face + hot brass somehow making down my shirt while I was firing left around the barracade, but besides that ... fun! It isn't like you can stop and say, 'pardon me sir ...'. To be honest, that just helped me cope under pressure.

Next, after some practice, I'd love to try Speed Steel and then learn to shoot Skeet/Trap. With so many trips to the range I might actually bother getting a CHL.

Does anyone know what "AIM shotgun instruction" is at TCGC? It is scheduled all week. Is there a good skeet class for noobs?

NoOne: "Any decent training beats the **** out of sitting at home on the couch talking about shooting."

Any day putting rounds down-range is a Good Day! :)

or

Any day Not putting rounds down-range is like a Day without Sunshine! :-(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews