JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very good info NoOne!
Do the orientations ever take place other than Friday afternoon? I work Fridays and it's almost impossible to get that day or any time off then but would like to start getting involved.

GSSF and USPSA have a multitude of classifications to avoid that kid of imbalance of competition. I have only seen steel fail to fall once in many hundreds of strings. THe shooter claimed it was due to very light reload.
Conditions will vary from range to range though. I can see how it would be maddening to hit steel and not have it drop.

LOL - just posted in another string the other day about the first time I took my model 94 (30-30) to the range and the range master said no problem the steel plates would take it - thought the sights were way off at first as the plates weren't dropping - then I noticed that I had punched about 10 nice clean holes in the plates without them moving. He was so used to seeing the lever actions in .45 at cowboy action shoots that he didn't realize it was 30-30. I bet it was the last time he made that mistake.

You are correct, however there are a ton of stories of cops who under stress of a real fight, did things that they were trained to do, even though those actions were totally illogical in the tactical situation they were in. The most famous one I know of is the the two officers found dead with their hands in their pockets full of the brass from unloading their revolvers, they were trained to do that on their range because they did not like the brass on the ground, so in the middle of a gun fight these two did what they were trained to do, unload the brass into their hands, put it into their pocket, and then reload, well this got them killed.

I was going to bring this up - The California Highway Patrol was sued for this exact thing - the range master at the academy didn't like to pick up brass after training so cadets were trained to pocket the brass when reloading their revolvers (back in the day before they went to autos). They had several cases of finding deceased officers with brass in their pockets not to mention the huge number of crime scenes that were screwed up because they didn't know where the shots / reloads happened. The CHP has gotten better about the policing your brass issue but still have other issues - they decided to go with the S&W 4006 - even with thousands of dollars spent on replacing defective trigger parts - the reason they chose the 4006 is because they have a mag safety - they decided it was cheaper to teach the cadets to eject the mag in the case of a struggle for the weapon than to teach proper weapon retention techniques. I'm wondering how long it will be until they are sued because an officer hit the mag release, recover their weapon and the perp pulls his gun and the officer is stuck with a round in the chamber and a click before he gets shot. I hope it never happens but wont be surprised if/when it does.

The only reason I don't compete currently is that I just moved to the area recently and haven't found a match that doesn't involve an hour and a half drive each way yet.

I did compete in a PPC match until about a year ago when the range decided they could make more money if they didn't reserve 1 side of the indoor range for match the 3 or 4 hours one Saturday night a month. I do miss it though - it was a good group and I improved quite a bit over the 2 years they ran it. As for concerns about not doing well enough - I remember when the local swat team showed up - I was thinking my run of finishing in the top 10 was going to end that night - funny thing - I and most people I know seem to think that people who carry a gun for a living and especially swat guys would be the cream of the crop and should be able to out shoot most people - after that night I was amazed at the lack of skills they truly have. The best guy on the swat team came in just below me in 7th with the next two guys ranking 9 and 12. The rest of them were in the bottom 1/4 of the match. Only 2 of them ever returned to the match. Overall shooting PPC was quite helpful - when I first started out some of the really good guys would watch when they weren't on the line and let you know if they saw something you could improve on and after I decided to shoot my 686 .357 exclusively instead of switching from the glock and the 1911 I improved greatly.... that in mind maybe its worth the hour and a half drive after all.

Swedish K's experience with law enforcement officers not training, and therefore not shooting all that well on average isn't unique. I used to teach law enforcement, and even thought officers were provided free ammo, free range time, and paid to shoot, few took advantage of the range time.

I enjoyed shooting, so I would practice, and compete on my own time. Most of the better shooters where I worked would probably have ended up in the bottom 25% at any local IPSC/IDPA matches.....maybe. It is the same with rifles. Few law enforcement officers compete, so they usually think they are far better than they actually are, and that includes most SWAT types. Those who do compete improve dramatically because they are smart enough to quickly realize that there are lots of civilians out there who can easily outshoot them unless they work at improving.

Nickmil,
They used to do orientations before the matches, but with the increase in participation, there is simply too much to do on match mornings for them to run an orientation too. Plus, the orientation has been dramatically improved to include a chance for shooters to actually use their rifles. Previously, they just listened to a safety briefing. It is much safer for everyone if the RO can actually see the people using the rifle.

There have been incidents where people who barely knew how to operate the rifles would show up and want to shoot the matches. The new orientation allows the RO to find out if the people wanting certification actually are safe with their gun handling.

I don't compete because of location. I used to compete in pistol matches while in the military as an alternate for our District team. I was allowed to use 2500 rounds a month which I did. I love shooting a pistol and would enjoy getting back into it.

Nickmil,
They used to do orientations before the matches, but with the increase in participation, there is simply too much to do on match mornings for them to run an orientation too. Plus, the orientation has been dramatically improved to include a chance for shooters to actually use their rifles. Previously, they just listened to a safety briefing. It is much safer for everyone if the RO can actually see the people using the rifle.

There have been incidents where people who barely knew how to operate the rifles would show up and want to shoot the matches. The new orientation allows the RO to find out if the people wanting certification actually are safe with their gun handling.

I absolutely agree. I was just wondering if there was orientation offered on a Saturday or Sunday instead of just Fridays. I can see your point and will make every effort to try and get some time on a Friday to go through the orientation. Thanks for the info! nickmil

Tactics here as well.

I used to compete, and then found that bad tactics were working their way back into working tactics in formal environments. It's not always that easy to cognitively split them. I may do some speed steel though.

I went to Douglas Ridge on Sunday, they had a 3 gun shoot...I was 1 of only 5 guys there, but it was my first time competing and I think Im hooked now...We ended up only shooting AR's and handguns but it was a ton of fun! And I finished 2nd behind my buddy

It'd be nice to have a list of local resources and competitions outlined.

I'm in Portland and I have just recently started shooting PR at TCGC. I'm hoping to further my shooting experience by participating in other competitions such as speed steel and 3 gun matches. But I really don't know whats involved or who to contact...

I used to compete, and would love to get back into it, but I work weekends and it's hard to get a Saturday or Sunday off for recreation.

This for me too. I used to go to the Rattlesnake Mtn match regularly, shoot a couple at Shelton. Then, got married, had kids, (daddy's free) time disappeared. Now I am just happy if I get to go out and shoot once in a while.

Clark Rifles (I am a member) has a steel plate pistol match once a month. Wolverton Mountain near Cougar, they do a IPSC and bowling pins once a month. The bowling pins and steel plates both have a 22 pistol class. No excuses for financial reasons. Clark does bench rest rifle matches called the sharp shooter's shoot out. They also do Garand matches 3 times a year. TCGC, Douglas Ridge, Estacada Rod and Gun Club, do rifle and pistol matches regularly. I used to do a lot of pistol matches but now I am in to NRA High Power Rifle. Shooting out to 600 yards from the prone position with iron sighted 'service rifle'. A great group of guys and gals that I compete with. Most everybody is real friendly helping out with advice and loan of equipment. Most clubs have M-1 Garand Rifles to loan. You can try it out to see if it is to your liking. Any type of Competition improves your skills. Beginners need to be patient and not expect high scores first time out. See OSSA.org Oregon State Shooting Assoc. ' High Power' or 'CMP' I shoot a match almost every weekend. GET OUT AND COMPETE. Improve your skills.

Just successfully completed the ARC certification at TCGC, now let the games begin. Thanks to all the instructors and participants for a very safe and fantastic day.

There are many disciplines to chose from which makes a good mix for skills development.

Tony

For me, it's a combination of cost (match and ammo), and lack of time. I usually work 6 days a week (off Sunday), but sometimes have to work Sunday too, depending on weather, so time is a little tight. I am wanting to shoot a few competitions though.

We are pretty fortunate down here in southern Oregon. The Medford Rifle and Pistol club offers Bullseye practice Monday nights, 200 ~ 600 yard fullbore practice Wednesday afternoon, IDPA on Thursday afternoon, as well as weekend events. Hopefully you can find a club that has some activities during the week.

I still have one of my first week's Bullseye targets on the front of my safe...52 points, 2 shots out of the target completely...it's hanging right next to my latest best target, 10 in the black. Great? Not at all. Improving? Absolutely. Makes me look forward to Monday night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top