JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time, money, and I don't like competing against race guns with 30 round magazines. I tried IPSC at TCGC in Single Stack and Production Divisions earlier this year, but it soon became demoralizing when I had to calculate when I needed to drop my 8 round 1911 mags in a 25-30 round COF while most Open Division guys with their red dot sighted race guns would just pop, pop, pop away without even a mag change.

So, I tried using a 9mm XDm to benefit from less mag changes, but the 9mm didn't always knock over the steel like the 45's would. That became silly watching the 9mm shooters pop, pop, pop at the steel hearing the ping, ping, ping but without them falling over. Yes, steel should be calibrated, and no doubt it was in the beginning of the match, but it doesn't stay that way.

I would like to try IDPA, because I don't think race guns are allowed, drawing is from concealed using real holsters instead of the race gun cages, and the COF's use about half the ammo, but I'm not aware of IDPA near PDX yet. Unless you reload, shooting regularly at IPSC can be expensive. I'm a practical guy and want to shoot with something I would actually carry.

My schedule also conflicted with many of the early morning matches. I still enjoy using the TCGC action range in the afternoons for practice though.

GSSF and USPSA have a multitude of classifications to avoid that kid of imbalance of competition. I have only seen steel fail to fall once in many hundreds of strings. THe shooter claimed it was due to very light reload.
Conditions will vary from range to range though. I can see how it would be maddening to hit steel and not have it drop.

GSSF and USPSA have a multitude of classifications to avoid that kid of imbalance of competition.

I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining or whining. The people who organize IPSC at TCGC are awesome and do an excellent job of making it safe and fun. The shooters I met there were very friendly. They are definitely enjoyable events!

I'm not good enough to be classified yet, but I was shooting against others in higher classifications. It's fun to watch other skilled shooters for a while, but I'm not sure what I can learn from them when their red dot sighted weapons are compensated with large mags. GSSF isn't for me since I'm an SA, HK kind of guy. I didn't see any local 1911 only matches.

I will definitely give IDPA a try if and when TCGC gets it started if my schedule permits it. I really do appreciate the hard work the organizers do to provide these resources for us.

"Tactical" competitions make you compromise on proper tactical practice in exchange for speed or range safety. Certain practices will get you killed on the street. If you can separate yourself from the "game", and not fudge on proper tactics and actions to gain more points. I think the game could have certain worthwhile attributes, i.e. operating under time pressure. But it is NOT a replacement for proper tactical training and practice.
I prefer to train where I don't have to compromise.

Money money money! I would like to compete in more F class matches but the truth is they cost a lot. Not too many matches close to me so that involves long drives. Most are 60 to 80 rounds not including practice and sighters and each one of those rounds is expensive so it adds up real fast.
I wish there were more practical steel matches. Sounds like more variety and you don't fly through rounds so fast! But maybe I'm miss informed.

F class would be a lot of fun. Have No idea where I could even practice for it here.

IDPA shoots look like a lot fun, but we do not even have a range here in Skagit. I know Norpoint has some matches, and when I can get a better handle on work and my two year old twins, I'll be making the drive to try some meets.

I would enjoy competing, just hasn't really been working out to well right now.

"Tactical" competitions make you compromise on proper tactical practice in exchange for speed or range safety. Certain practices will get you killed on the street. If you can separate yourself from the "game", and not fudge on proper tactics and actions to gain more points. I think the game could have certain worthwhile attributes, i.e. operating under time pressure. But it is NOT a replacement for proper tactical training and practice.
I prefer to train where I don't have to compromise.

+1

I do just not often as I would like. Reason is I have kids in sports and most all my Saturday's are taken. When PR was Sat/Sun, I could go more often. Not enough interest killed that so I'm back to 2-3 times a year for PR. One of these days I'll compete in another discipline but I know many of the cats in PR so that's where I like to go when I get the time.

Used to shoot CMP but after I tried PR, i didn't see any reason for it anymore...:s0114:

So here is what I have learned, if you want to shoot the "game" shoot the freakin game. If you want to practice all your high speed low drag BS then do that. I personally have no patience for the IPSC guy's that want to walk all around and game the stages but thats their deal. I try and shoot everything just like I would for real. You cannot match the stress you have in a match anywhere else unless you are taking incoming or shooting at someone for real. So you do what you want, I am going to practice and shoot as many matches as I can and make it as tactical as I can. :s0155:

I do just not often as I would like. Reason is I have kids in sports and most all my Saturday's are taken. When PR was Sat/Sun, I could go more often. Not enough interest killed that so I'm back to 2-3 times a year for PR. One of these days I'll compete in another discipline but I know many of the cats in PR so that's where I like to go when I get the time.

Used to shoot CMP but after I tried PR, i didn't see any reason for it anymore...:s0114:

Sunday PR went away because the people working/running the match could not handle the work load. Each match is 5 hour of work Friday night, 10 hours Sat. and another 10 Sun. The wives were getting tired of it, particularly since most of the people working also had other weekend commitments and matches they wanted to shoot.
Remember, almost all matches are run and worked by volunteers.

I did my first pistol competition this last weekend at the Clatskanie range. It was .22 pistols, indoor, with various stages.

Things I liked: Challenging. I had never shot left handed or kneeling, or prone, or while ducking behind cover. It was indoors at a nice range. It was very well organized and well run by the range officers. I now know how much more I need to learn. Very inexpensive. The people were friendly and even brought a nice lunch for us!

Things that could have gone better: There was a lot of waiting around while the other people were shooting their stages. Next time I'll maybe bring a rifle to use the other range while I am waiting.

Will I do it again? Yes. But I'm going to practice more first!

PS: I scored 18th out of 20 people. Next time I'll do better.

Last Edited:
If anybody has a contact or info about competitive shooting in eugene I would be interested in starting, currently only pistol is EMP 9mm, would like to get a 22 to shoot, but that will have to wait till after christmas. thanks for info. I need to go and observe first as well.

Last Edited:
I did trap and skeet for quite a while, just got sick of the sponsered shooters. With their unlimited supplies, ammo, range time, and guns supplied by their sponsers, it really gave them an edge, not much, but enough to make a difference.

I did my first pistol competition this last weekend at the Clatskanie range. It was .22 pistols, indoor, with various stages.

Things I liked: Challenging. I had never shot left handed or kneeling, or prone, or while ducking behind cover. It was indoors at a nice range. It was very well organized and well run by the range officers. I now know how much more I need to learn. Very inexpensive. The people were friendly and even brought a nice lunch for us!

Things that could have gone better: There was a lot of waiting around while the other people were shooting their stages. Next time I'll maybe bring a rifle to use the other range while I am waiting.

Will I do it again? Yes. But I'm going to practice more first!

PS: I scored 18th out of 20 people. Next time I'll do better.

I'm sure you will, pchewn, but hey 18th is better than 20th! Man, that sounds like fun. I haven't competed except against a buddy for "who can shoot the best face onto a pumpkin" a couple of weeks ago :s0114:...
I need to look into doing the kind of thing you just mentioned, sounds like a ton of fun, a good challenge, and a good confidence builder. I think I'll put a few hundred more rounds downrange first-- 'cos I bet right now I'd come in 379th out of 20!

I am very surprised my reasons did not come up, and so I will reply. (Kudos to Migo for touching on this concern.)

I shot competitively as a child in BBgun competition with the Boy Scouts' national program, then progressed to smallbore competition and highpower silouohette while in High School, and from there to being on a Military Police shooting team when in the war. I am now a member of Single Action Shooting Society (cowboy stuff: more on that later).

My distaste for it began in High School smallbore: It became an equipment race, and snobbish: we poor kids who shot school-provided rifles were forced to compete against kids from wealthier backgrounds that could afford Anschutz 54's and Winchester 52's, with fully adjustable stocks, underarm buttplates and quality sights that cost more than one of our guns. We still kicked some posterior on occasion, but the cliquishness was always there. The rich kids had brand new store-bought shooting coats and gloves, shot Eley ammo, while we made do with the school provided guns, school-provided Winchester T-22 ammo, tattered shooting coats and mats.

I stuck with it. This may date me, but I got into highpower silohuette in its infancy. The guy who won the national championship for 3 years running did it with a Marlin 336 .30-30. This was fun! This was a common-man's sport!

Then the equipment race started. Nothing resembling a Marlin 336 exists in that sport any longer. There is lever silhouette now, I must admit, and also must admit I have not tried it. Maybe something's different there.

I later got into Rimfire silouhette in its infancy. My Ruger M77-22 held its own for a year or so until the Kimber and Anschutz guys started showing up. I could make up for the difference for only so long, and I darned sure didn't have that kind of money for a .22.

I have now been a member of the Single Action Shooting Society from almost its infancy. I've been to two matches. I have never shot. Customized guns with loosened "short throw" actions, nearly squib recoilless loads, etc. etc., etc., have completely forgotten the organization's original motto, "the spirit of the game." Infighting about these issues pack their club journals.

Wanna stand on the deck of my shooting shack, laugh and joke, and punch a target with your favorite deer rifle with the prize being who buys the beer when we're done? Count me in!

Race with dead-pan serious guys who have guns I can never hope to own, or are modified beyond recognition? I've had enough.

Ref: above post by spitpatch.

That is the exact reason I did not stay long in the IPSC. I showed up to the matches and there I was with a nice std. springer .45 up against race ready $6000.00 1911's. It all seemed, well, comical in a bad way.

I'd like to try some IDPA shoots, and if I could try my hand at F class.

I've never been a competitive person, maybe it's a side-affect of being an only child or something.

I used to really enjoy smallbore pistol silhouette in So Cal, it was a great way to wind down after work. Nobody seems to be in to that up here in Lane County though.

I'll make another comment about some of the complaints here, and what I've actually noticed.

1) The equipment race. Yes. In the Open/Limited, etc. classes it sucks, but that's the game. However, sports like IPSC, Steel Challenge, etc. have other divisions that are much more limiting. Even USPSA has a "Production Class" which pretty much means you run your bone stock gun (aside from trigger or sights), limit to 10 rounds in the mag, and everyone is scored the same (minor). It is BY FAR the largest class out there. I've been plain outshot by good shooters running a basic Glock 17 and $20 holster.

2) As for the dead-pan serious guys...that's fine. I don't go to REALLY be competitive. I go with friends, we B.S. for a while, make snide remarks about the others shooting badly, etc. It's great fun if you get with like-minded people. That said, I've shot with both the match director and the match winner, and their family and had a blast. They were having some real fun.

3) The tactics. The sports are setup to be safe for you and the other participants, while focusing on different disciplines. These may not reflect a defense or "tactical" scenario. There are classes, teachings, and other practice for that. These are games that help you with the basics like drawing from holster, reloading, shooting fast and accurately, shooting on the move, shooting in awkward positions out of your comfort zone (ever try shooting a pump action shotgun prone? it's a learning experience). And remember that it's up to the competitor to determine whether they want to run the course as intended. If you want to take a penalty, go. If you want to load your shotgun "tactically" then do it. Want to shoot from cover, then do so. No one is forcing you to adhere to a certain technique, as long as it's safe.

I've had a lot of fun and have become a much better shooter in the process.

3) The tactics. The sports are setup to be safe for you and the other participants, while focusing on different disciplines. These may not reflect a defense or "tactical" scenario. There are classes, teachings, and other practice for that. These are games that help you with the basics like drawing from holster, reloading, shooting fast and accurately, shooting on the move, shooting in awkward positions out of your comfort zone (ever try shooting a pump action shotgun prone? it's a learning experience). And remember that it's up to the competitor to determine whether they want to run the course as intended. If you want to take a penalty, go. If you want to load your shotgun "tactically" then do it. Want to shoot from cover, then do so. No one is forcing you to adhere to a certain technique, as long as it's safe.

You are correct, however there are a ton of stories of cops who under stress of a real fight, did things that they were trained to do, even though those actions were totally illogical in the tactical situation they were in. The most famous one I know of is the the two officers found dead with their hands in their pockets full of the brass from unloading their revolvers, they were trained to do that on their range because they did not like the brass on the ground, so in the middle of a gun fight these two did what they were trained to do, unload the brass into their hands, put it into their pocket, and then reload, well this got them killed.

I guess my real question, is where can I find a group or club (not a company teaching a class every once in a while) where the focus in defensive shooting. I clearly can run these courses using my best known tactical techniques, I will likely piss some off for taking so long to run the course, and it is unlikely that anyone will be there to challenge me on my choices with questions like, did you know you exposed yourself when you were shooting here? why did you shoot the bad guys in the order you did? what was your justification for even shooting at all? when you had full cover, why did not not pause to reload rather than move down that course and run dry? did yuo know you stopped and straighten out your hat in the middle of the course of fire? etc....

more likely you will get funny looks when you start yelling verbal instructions to the bad guys, for slowly pieing every corner, putting distance between you and the bad guy, when you choose to not shoot a bad guy because they present no immediate threat to you, when you spread the love and shoot one round per target then return to neutralize them, etc...

it just is not conducive to applying correct tactics, sure you can, but I doubt you will get welcomed with open arms every week.....

I could be wrong, hope I am because unless I find a defensive shooting club, I will be testing the sport shooters patience.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top