JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Suppressors were outlawed to keep the poor people during the depression from harvesting game quietly and depleting the wild animal stock. It has nothing to do with gangsters and mob hits. It was purely political to make the poor people dependent on the government welfare and help eliminate self reliance in this nation.

The idea of making a tax was to heavily penalize the poorer people and make it out of reach. Notice the "tax stamp" cost has not changed much over the years, while inflation says somebody can earn over $200/day now... back then it was a lot of dough.
It's even a lot of money today! That's nearly half of what a lot of people make in a week. If not all of what people make in a week.

Because a democrat was in office when it became so. Not that the republican are a lot better ('86 and '89 bans).

Our rights - the people - begin taken away by those that serve us. Ever whittled away.... One has to wonder how we will ever get them back and how long the whittling will continue and what will be left in the time to come.

It is interesting that in some European countries, with their strict laws, sound moderators are easier to get here. Countries where there are no suppressor laws? - SilencerTalk

In Norway, there aren't any rules for example.

Apparently in the UK, hunters are encouraged to use them, but they have to get license, because it protects the sonic environment for the enjoyment of others.

Remember that the UK is small, and night shooting of foxes is common, so mods are more or less compulsory to avoid spookment of cattle/sheep or people. Trust me, a .22-250 at 2 a.m get pretty loud. Getting one on your Firearms Certificate [FAC] is no big deal, all you do is apply for it when you get your new gun and the FAC is amended accordingly. Applying for one separately subject to a $65 fee.

Although I don't shoot live game, I DO shoot numerous centre-fire calibres outdoors, but on ranges. None of my guns are suitable candidates for moderators, I'm happy to relate, unless you know how to make one that would work on a Snider, or 1897 Boer War Mauser and its ilk without making it [and me] look stoopid.

tac

Once you shoot off guns with cans you will never want to shoot off guns without cans. All of the comments made above are probably true. The common denominator in this is that it was a concerted Fed Power Grab and they got away with it. My read only. Respectfully.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

It is my considered opinion the the GFO made bangs to go, well, bang, and that attempting to silence a noise that happens as nature intended goes against the spirit of the uh, Great spirit.

I can see why there is a military necessity for a quiet firearm, but if there is no real need, like shooting most anywhere in Wyoming, North Dakota or any other of the empty states, I say let 'er rip.

Like I noted before, I've got nothing on which to hang a moderator, since even my most modern rifle [1986] has a G3 flash hider instead - not that I'm intending to use it at night.

Guns are noisy things, and that's the way I like 'em.

'nuff said.

tac

Originally, it was to prevent poachers from quietly being able to eat during hard times.

Now....

Seems like the main reason would to not allow criminals too quietly murder innocent people, or other criminals. They say the audible gunshot clues people too call the police. They apparently have never been to Oakland.

Watch this kid...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads