So why are Supressors Regulated?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by DuneHopper, Apr 29, 2017.

1. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Huh? What? Speak up I can't hear you!!!

2. awshoot

awshoot
    Bellingham

It is interesting that in some European countries, with their strict laws, sound moderators are easier to get here. Countries where there are no suppressor laws? - SilencerTalk

In Norway, there aren't any rules for example.

Apparently in the UK, hunters are encouraged to use them, but they have to get license, because it protects the sonic environment for the enjoyment of others.

Flymph likes this.
  3. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

It's even a lot of money today! That's nearly half of what a lot of people make in a week. If not all of what people make in a week.

4. Martini_Up

Martini_Up
    NW USA

Because a democrat was in office when it became so. Not that the republican are a lot better ('86 and '89 bans).

Our rights - the people - begin taken away by those that serve us. Ever whittled away.... One has to wonder how we will ever get them back and how long the whittling will continue and what will be left in the time to come.

coyotecaller and Flymph like this.
  5. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Remember that the UK is small, and night shooting of foxes is common, so mods are more or less compulsory to avoid spookment of cattle/sheep or people. Trust me, a .22-250 at 2 a.m get pretty loud. Getting one on your Firearms Certificate [FAC] is no big deal, all you do is apply for it when you get your new gun and the FAC is amended accordingly. Applying for one separately subject to a $65 fee.

Although I don't shoot live game, I DO shoot numerous centre-fire calibres outdoors, but on ranges. None of my guns are suitable candidates for moderators, I'm happy to relate, unless you know how to make one that would work on a Snider, or 1897 Boer War Mauser and its ilk without making it [and me] look stoopid.

tac

Flymph likes this.
  6. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42N, 123W Kinda

Once you shoot off guns with cans you will never want to shoot off guns without cans. All of the comments made above are probably true. The common denominator in this is that it was a concerted Fed Power Grab and they got away with it. My read only. Respectfully.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Flymph likes this.
  7. Reco

Reco
    Portland Oregon

Because they are SCARY!!!!!

8. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

It is my considered opinion the the GFO made bangs to go, well, bang, and that attempting to silence a noise that happens as nature intended goes against the spirit of the uh, Great spirit.

I can see why there is a military necessity for a quiet firearm, but if there is no real need, like shooting most anywhere in Wyoming, North Dakota or any other of the empty states, I say let 'er rip.

Like I noted before, I've got nothing on which to hang a moderator, since even my most modern rifle [1986] has a G3 flash hider instead - not that I'm intending to use it at night.

Guns are noisy things, and that's the way I like 'em.

'nuff said.

tac

9. Simonpie

Simonpie
    Portland

He's up to the third knuckle on that trigger finger. Odd technique.

10. wired

wired
    Yakima

He's going to get quite a sting to that thumb when he fires that pistol.

11. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

That's what the paper bag is for...

12. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Originally, it was to prevent poachers from quietly being able to eat during hard times.

Now....

Seems like the main reason would to not allow criminals too quietly murder innocent people, or other criminals. They say the audible gunshot clues people too call the police. They apparently have never been to Oakland.

Watch this kid...

Flymph likes this.
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

Why? Three words: "Fascist Dickweasel Roosevelt."

Slobray likes this.
  14. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

Yeah, I sure hate having maintained campgrounds and trails in the national parks...

awshoot likes this.