JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started prepping in January 2007 during an ice storm when our power went out for 10 days. Until that event, we were very ill-prepared for a short-term event not mentioning a major long-term event.

Since then I have met other like-minded folks, some much more serious and prepared than I am. One thing I found out early on was the animosity that non-preppers have for preppers. Attitudes such as "If it gets that bad we'll just all go live with so and so." or "Those people are crazy and paranoid."

Well, who are the crazy people now? Fighting over toilet paper of all things.

I don't advocate having an escape tunnel from under your house, although that would be kewl. I suggest to people to prepare for at least 30 days of no electricity and heat and not being able to go to the store or better yet, not having to, and plan accordingly.

Once you've accomplished that, come back and see me you crazy people.
LOL.

Some folks are just oblivious, thinking nothing will change, they'll always have whatever they need just down the street at the store. I once was purchasing 2-3 number 10 cans of freeze-dried food. The checker asked "What, are you a prepper" I replied back "What...are you someone that fails to plan?"

She didn't like that too much...:p

BUT THEN....

Cant_fix_stupid.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I

I just hope folks will consider preparing at least minimally and not just have the attitude of "Whew, glad we got through that, what are we going to do with all this toilet paper?"

Sadly that will most likely be the case for most - at least in the PDX area.

Or worse they will stockpile TP and forget about the rest of it:D

Side note, my wife wasn't real pleased with the amount of guns and ammo I had amassed once upon a time. That went away when we hit hard times and I turned all that metal into enough cash to get us by.

I have never heard another word about 'needing one more safe'...

After this cluster F she is all on board about being more active in our good times stockpiling of other things;).

So that's my silver lining on living thru these times.

I was a prepper before prepping was cool......

Both parents were born in the early 30's, there were five of us kids. We always had a stock of common used items (pantry) and FIFO wasn't even a thing yet, tools/supplies to do just about everything around the house/ garage and knowledge to actually do it. Didn't have smart phones or computers to find out how to do stuff or find things you needed and have it delivered in a few days. Sadly most people think everything will be there when they need it and fall apart when it isn't, as seen in the last few weeks........again.

Smart phones are the downfall of the younger set, just imagine if the internet and cell phones stop working.............I could make a fortune on all the handyman/ popular mechanics books I still have.

My biggest regret in my prepping was being in a situation like this where I could not financially quit my job for 6 months. I didnt think that I'd be prepared at home for a disaster but still have to go to work where the poop-show is at.

To quote tremors again:

[Burt Gummer looks at his bomb shelter for perhaps the last time] "Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! (long sigh) .... God damn underground monsters"

Both parents were born in the early 30's, there were five of us kids. .....
Smart phones are the downfall of the younger set, just imagine if the internet and cell phones stop working.............I could make a fortune on all the handyman/ popular mechanics books I still have.
My parents from the '20's. Learned a lot, watching my old man (and getting pressed into service). Osmosis is one of the most underestimated forces in the universe.
Although there are many elements of SHTF in this situation, I don't consider this something that will *really* test preparedness. I consider this a drill. People I talk to are really scared, and for the life of me, I do not understand why. (Make that my epitaph).

Good point deadeye concerning the hard copy magazines. When I first started I created an extensive list of references for all kinds of things. Only one problem, it was an electronic copy! I've since made hard copies of some of the stuff, but not even close to what I have on electrons. We've gotten so used to the conveniences of our modern world. Not to mention electricity!

Good point deadeye concerning the hard copy magazines. When I first started I created an extensive list of references for all kinds of things. Only one problem, it was an electronic copy! I've since made hard copies of some of the stuff, but not even close to what I have on electrons. We've gotten so used to the conveniences of our modern world. Not to mention electricity!
Not magazines these are hard cover books full of info on how to do just about anything. Heck I still have micro phish and the viewer for motorcycles and such. Even found some Aviation stuff the other day how else am I going to work on a F4 phantom and Corsair ( Dad was a mechanic in the navy and Marines).

Just like Dead Eye, i grew up on a family farm, and we had stuff put up for rainy days as grand mom called it! We never had to worry about going hungry or having power or water! Trips to town were well planned events, taking the whole day and included stops at the hardware store, grocery store, grange, and gas station! We would return with a pickup loaded to the tops of the bed amd then orderly unload and organise it all! Fun was ether hunting of fishing, and everything got prepped or canned and put up for those rainy days, work was the garden, the crops, the livestock, amd yard/barn chores, and equipement maintence when time allowed! Sundays were church, chores, and chow, mostly to rotate the put up stocks, and every meal had meat amd fresh baked bread and home churned butter! Gawd I miss those days!
People used to live like that and it was considdered normal, those who were "Towneys" didnt know how easy they had it, with their store bought foods and frozen ready to heat meals and microwaves!
We didnt get a color T.V till I was well into my teens, and only got 1 hour after supper and chores! Nobody ever complained, amd nobody ever said a word about us as preppers, that was just life!
People laugh and comment on that now like its something new or something odd or different, little do they know!
Turn off the electricity for a week amd watch their whole lives unraveling by day 3!

Not magazines these are hard cover books full of info on how to do just about anything. Heck I still have micro phish and the viewer for motorcycles and such. Even found some Aviation stuff the other day how else am I going to work on a F4 phantom and Corsair ( Dad was a mechanic in the navy and Marines).
We had a whole shelf full of shop manuals for everything, and I still have a stack of those Chiltins shop manuals for every rig I owned! You bought a rig, next day you bought the shop manual for it! And maps, i got maps enough to paper 2 houses upstairs amd down!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top