JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Concerning the new bridge between Vancouver and Portland...

ODOT, WADOT, both states governors, both cities mayors, and even the Feds have their own ideas of what will happen, or not happen, and who will pay for it all.

Now, it's campaign time, and I see a new lying clown running for President of Metro, claiming he will get the bridge built. President of Metro? President of a governmental organization that is not even constitutional? And he's got the answer, and the power?

How did this get so out of control?

Help me out, as I've lost any remaining grasp with reality.:confused:

WAYNO.

Concerning the new bridge between Vancouver and Portland...

ODOT, WADOT, both states governors, both cities mayors, and even the Feds have their own ideas of what will happen, or not happen, and who will pay for it all.

Now, it's campaign time, and I see a new lying clown running for President of Metro, claiming he will get the bridge built. President of Metro? President of a governmental organization that is not even constitutional? And he's got the answer, and the power?

How did this get so out of control?

Help me out, as I've lost any remaining grasp with reality.:confused:

WAYNO.

Is the guy you're talking about the current metro councilor? Thanks for reminding me to crack the voter's pamphlet.

Is the guy you're talking about the current metro councilor? Thanks for reminding me to crack the voter's pamphlet.

Bob Stacey's current occupation is listed only as Attorney. But he is supported by a whole bunch of people that are not my friends.

Like him or not, or any of the others, when did it happen that C.R.A.G., which became Metro, and its President, would have the power to campaign on a platform of getting a gazillion-dollar Interstate bridge, built?

WAYNO.

Bob Stacey's current occupation is listed only as Attorney. But he is supported by a whole bunch of people that are not my friends.

Rex Burkholder, the councilor, also listed the bridge as a goal.

Like him or not, or any of the others, when did it happen that C.R.A.G., which became Metro, and its President, would have the power to campaign on a platform of getting a gazillion-dollar Interstate bridge, built?

WAYNO.

I imagine that the cities, Metro, and other local government entities are the small players in this. The bridge actually isn't their responsibility. It is maintained by ODOT/WSDOT. The project fact sheet says the money will come from state and federal sources. The estimates I saw pegged the cost between $2.6 billion to $4.2 billion.

I think the people running for Metro are campaigning on an issue they have little control over. Of course, I thought the same about Leavitt campaigning on opposing tolls when he was running for mayor in Vancouver (when the state legislature would most likely support them). :huh: I wouldn't do it. Maybe that's why I'm not in politics.

Last Edited:
I think I first heard about this new bridge idea a couple years ago (along with the new Vancouver waterfront project), but haven't followed it very much. I could maybe understand adding a new bridge, but is there something wrong with the current bridge? I believe they are tearing it down once the new one is complete? I think they are planning to have a max line going across the new one, but why not just add a bridge for the max? Seems like this would be a little more cost effective.

The bridge is getting old, and being steel can only have so many repairs. It's going to have to be replaced before it collapses like that one did in Wisconsin a couple years back (Minnesota?).

Just remember the basic rule. Whatever needs to be done, don't involve engineers. The politicians will tell you everything you need to know.

There is also the issue of the two different state entities that would have to come together for admin purposes of the Port/Vanc MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area).
Federal transportation funds are available to PDX/Vanc, and should be utilized for something other than Tri-Met if you ask me.
There are many people (me included) that don't live in PDX, but still traverse the OR/WA border regularly, and get really tired of the congestion that the choke point that the bridge(s) cause. It is a part of the interstate highway system, and as such, shouldn't be a concern of only the metro admins, and the differences of their respective constituents.
It seems to me that the people of Vanc. are a little more realistic about the need for the bridge, and automobiles, than the "powers that be" in PDX.

A position of "President of the Metro" admin could be a good thing. The office would be more "big picture" oriented for the entire MSA, and streamline the bureaucracy of two different cities trying to decide which direction to go when federal funds allotted for both are at stake.

I wondered about the office too, but it makes sense that there should be one, especially if it has the power to streamline solutions that the two different cities are offered.
Even at the risk of creating yet another government position. :eek:

I don't know but they've already spent some 67 MILLION $$'s and not much to show for it!!

I was a construction and design engineer for the DOT for most of my 30 years there and even I don't understand where they could spend so much with so little to show for it!

I think I first heard about this new bridge idea a couple years ago (along with the new Vancouver waterfront project), but haven't followed it very much. I could maybe understand adding a new bridge, but is there something wrong with the current bridge? I believe they are tearing it down once the new one is complete? I think they are planning to have a max line going across the new one, but why not just add a bridge for the max? Seems like this would be a little more cost effective.
The problem isn't the bridge, it's the on-ramps both northbound and southbound before hitting the bridge, that's what causes the big slowdown.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads