JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well the poop already hit my fan starting basically in 2008 when I lost the best poor paying job I ever had in my life. What was it that made it the best job I ever had?!? Well I learned how to operate a Case 580L Backhoe working there. I also got a lot better with tractors and got perty cotton picking good with a dumptruck. I also routinely ran chainsaws and other small equipment like the ditch witch and Bobcat type loaders.

I worked with a great bunch of folks. Well mainly...we had one token democrat who right after 911 happened expressed a desire to buy a gun of some type to keep his family safe. I tried to educate him on guns and all that that entails but we'd no sooner get past one roadblock he'd throw up another one. Finally I got to the point I was done putting up with his malarkey and I told him he was on his own.

This topic is such an incredibly individual and subjective one. Each persons idea of what is "right" will always contradict another's point of view. I think the only real answer to questions like "When does "IT" hit the fan?" is to present your individual perspective and experience.

For us, SHTF in '06 or '07 when we realized that we were stuck in a fake community, we were bought and sold with fake money, we were regularly taxed 4,5,6 or more times on various products(after our paychecks were pinched before they were even handed to us), we were under the thumb of politicians that pushed their standing as an elite ruling class and our standing as their subjects, we watched our children begin to be indoctrinated into the collective and were told they were "community property" to be raised asking only how they can conform and serve. We were truly convinced that the shallow, vapid emptiness of any metropolitan area was where taste and decency went to die, or places where taste and decency had never set foot in the first place.

We first started talking about fantastical things along the lines of Swiss Family Robinson or a Batcave 13,000 feet in The Rockies. It all seemed to be this unreachable dream and we were destined to die at our desk, just before sending in the last payment on our 30 year mortgage like good little workers. After realizing that every scenario isn't an Apocalyptic one, we got serious.

We paid off all debts and worked our fingers to the bone, putting away each and every dime we could. We did not own status symbol cars, designer clothes, nor did we/do we take vacations or eat at restaurants. In less than 4 years of working weekends and REALLY putting our nose to the grindstone, we left our jobs, family, friends and Portland, OR behind after purchasing our home for cash somewhere in the Chiloquin/Sprague River/Bonanza/Not-Quite-To-Lake-County rural nowhere. We will never owe a bank a dime and we will never have more than one neighbor we can see. We have enough acreage to sustain anything short of cattle and make one monthly trip to the "city" for the groceries or supplies we don't provide ourselves.

On the surface, this can appear to be an extreme paranoid reaction to those that appreciate the convenience of living in a city. Though we would be liars to deny the convenience and to a certain degree the "comfort" of city living, we were done with it in every way. My entire point has been that living a survival lifestyle and getting back to something simple can be not only preparation for what is surely coming, but a more fulfilling and wonderful life. For example, when arguing the "right and wrong" of "dropping out", it is my belief that when discussing with someone on the opposite end of the spectrum(one that makes a point of NOT having ANYTHING put away for a rainy day because they would then have to acknowledge that a rainy day may actually come), if they are "right" we die after leading long, rewarding lives and we have heirloom seeds and self-sufficiency skills that we pass to our children while those that chose their own way lived their lives with a Starbucks on each corner and people everywhere they turn and if that is happiness for them, who am I to argue? On the other hand, if we are "right" and the house of cards does fall, we still get the long life, heirloom seeds and self-sufficiency skills passed to the next generation.

I didn't leave what I believe to be a wildly fake and brainwashed "society" to hide in the mountains, I left to get to what I believe is real living. I didn't do it because James Wesley, Rawles, Jerry Ahern or Mel Tappan made it sound romantic. I did it because Vardis Fisher, Osborne Russell and my own family members showed me a level of freedom that is simply unattainable in ANY city.

I too have wished for the end to be hastened because of my disgust with every lie that is continually forced down our throats. In the end, we were able to leave it all behind and if the dollar failed or any other "collapse" situation happened, we would have to log onto the interwebs to find out about it. At this point it can fall or keep going. Either way, it won't change our principles or practices.

Best of luck to all those trying to live honestly and decently. Acknowledging and accepting that fake employment numbers, fake currency and a fake stock market will be the norm until it falls is the first step. The second step is realizing what YOU can do about YOUR situation. The third step is summoning up the gumption and courage to do something about it. Getting here was so incredibly scary and daunting. Now that we've been here for years, the memories of Portland life are more and more like a movie I watched about a dude pulling his hair out over the insanity of constantly swimming against the current.

Grab the horse by it's reins and hold on tight. You'll break her or she'll throw you. Just don't stay throwed. Get back on and eventually you'll be riding a gentle beast that has learned to move at your speed and My Dear Lord, it's worth every mouthful of dirt to get there.

That is a beautiful thing. Congratulations. You are an inspiration

That is a beautiful thing. Congratulations. You are an inspiration
Thank you and it is a beautiful thing. I won't pretend it wasn't/isn't hard work and we sacrificed for a steady 42-48 months(I like phrasing it like a prison sentence) to do it, but boy howdy was it worth it.

I hear your frustration and it all sounds so familiar. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know right from wrong. When right and wrong govern all that you do, the rest works itself out.

Just know that you're not alone. You're not alone and the mountain you are climbing is in fact scalable and looking down or back can create far more anxiety than just keeping your eye on the prize.

Are you referring to the "call the cops if $5,000 cash is withdrawn" policy? I saw something on that earlier, but it seemed so ridiculous that I dismissed it.

Might want to read up on it cause they are telling banks to confiscate the money if you don't give an answer.

Might want to read up on it cause they are telling banks to confiscate the money if you don't give an answer.
I personally have very little use for currency and don't have a bank account. I do, however have many family members that have obscene amounts of money in bank accounts and I would like to at least clue them in.

How could any "authority figure"(HA!) demand that you validate how you SPEND your money, much less how you POSSESS your money?

It's amazing how many things I have added to my big "List Of Reasons I Left Hell" AFTER I left! Lois Lerner wasn't a thing when I left. Snowden wasn't a thing when I left. Fast & Furious was barely a thing when I left. Benghazi wasn't a thing, "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" wasn't a thing, Apple designing entire lines of "iStuff" solely to help the .gov completely side-step individual privacy rights and so many other "things" weren't "things" even 5 years ago. I wonder what the next 5 will bring?

Do what you can, where your at, with what you have. A free man with an inventive mind and a few resources is by far better able to weather the slings and arrows than any .Guv tit sucker

I wrote this several hours ago, decided to post it anyway, the posts prior to mine are awesome. What is
SHTF? Well it depends on who you are. SHTF for a lot of American families in 2007 & 2008 , and presently. People lost their jobs, homes, transportation, savings, retirements, and everything. Divorce, & suicide skyrocketed, for those SHTF. Most were hard working people with pride. Numbers don't lie. Well, except for the government numbers. The value of gold or silver, even though it's been a currency for say five thousand years, give or take, other than industrial use, it has no value. Except for selling someone out for a few shekels. The U.S dollar, go ahead and tell me what that is worth. Foreign currency, tell me again. Gold, silver same thing. All value can change at a drop of a hat. Tuesday forefathersrback is taking his bride grocery shopping. I hope my U.S dollar buys the same products,for the same price as it did last month. Here's my illusive point, U.S dollar, gold,silver,foreign currency they are all manipulated. Do they have value today, yes. Tomorrow your wheelbarrow full of cash or gold, may not buy you a loaf of bread.​

SHTF for a lot of American families in 2007 & 2008 , and presently. People lost their jobs, homes, transportation, savings, retirements, and everything. Divorce, & suicide skyrocketed, for those SHTF. Most were hard working people with pride.​

My SHTF was truly in 2009. My business that did 1.3 million in 2007, went to 750K in 2008 and to 150K in 2009. Damn good thing we were pretty much debt free. Had to find a new way to pay the basic bills. Wife got a decent job, 52 year old guys took a bit longer. We truly realized that things were NEVER going back and probably should not go back.

We had a solid business plan, seemed good, but it completely was gone. So no matter how much you plan, be fluid with it, be prepared to change it at a moments notice. When my health failed, life changed forever. Your bank account, your gold, your ammunition, your preps do not mean a damn thing with a ventilator down your throat and your whole family standing there.

We live simply, pay cash for every thing, and just put one foot in front of the other every day.

Come Judgement Day, all the gold and silver will blow away.

My SHTF was truly in 2009. My business that did 1.3 million in 2007, went to 750K in 2008 and to 150K in 2009. Damn good thing we were pretty much debt free. Had to find a new way to pay the basic bills. Wife got a decent job, 52 year old guys took a bit longer. We truly realized that things were NEVER going back and probably should not go back.

We had a solid business plan, seemed good, but it completely was gone. So no matter how much you plan, be fluid with it, be prepared to change it at a moments notice. When my health failed, life changed forever. Your bank account, your gold, your ammunition, your preps do not mean a damn thing with a ventilator down your throat and your whole family standing there.

We live simply, pay cash for every thing, and just put one foot in front of the other every day.

Come Judgement Day, all the gold and silver will blow away.
CoastRange57, The wife and I went on that same ride. Damn, I want my money back. My thoughts have changed. Maybe it's because I'm getting a little wiser with age, I don't know. We had our retirement plans in order. Poof, gone! {literally, that fast} It just let me know, I'm not in charge, of my finances. The puppet masters at anytime, can pull the strings, and take it all away. No matter how hard you work. We did not go on vacations, we worked 7days a week. We did not buy things that we did not need. Today my eyes are wide open.

I sold off everything in 09 all the investments, in 10-12 I closed my IRAs, sold my FLIR stock, dumped everything for cash, then hid the cash, bought PMs/food and am dam happy to have em.
In '12 dumped my commie babe wife, saved a bundle on that!

While I agree with you guys, I dont agree with you guys :D

Its silly to bank (sorry for the pun) on anything. That's why I have a broad range of assets and possessions. If Rainer blew up tomorrow and I could get a hundred pounds worth of stuff out before everything gets swept down to the sound. Should I grab a hundred pounds worth of ammo, food or gold and silver?

It is more important to remain relevant and maintain a diversity of skills.

Enjoy your time as there is much of it left to live. Don't defeat yourself.

Prepping for the End, leaves you surviving when you could be flourishing.

The over-cautious mind creates unnecessary boundaries, promotes losses of potential and reacts irrationally to resounding fears.

Fear is their control.

Confidence in your abilities will keep you out of their clutches.

Regards,
MT
Please remember that you have all the power that you need within your own mind. :rolleyes:

It's available at the speed of thought.:eek:

That power is choice.:D

Death begins at birth, and none of us get out of here alive, so every day above ground is a good one. :oops:

"Do all we can, with what we have, in the time that we have, in the place that we are" (Nicosi Johnson):p

An old man said to me once:

"The secret to a happy life is simple: ya need somebody to love - somethin' to do - and somethin' to look forward to. That's it.
Doesn't matter what you do, or how much you have, because it's never enough.
Just enjoy yourself in the short time you have here, and mind your own bizness.
Forget the rest - it's always the same bull***t anyway. Always has been...";)

I kinda liked that - and try to remember to do like he said - but it's awful hard to be human sometimes.
Ed:cool:

Its silly to bank (sorry for the pun) on anything. That's why I have a broad range of assets and possessions. If Rainer blew up tomorrow and I could get a hundred pounds worth of stuff out before everything gets swept down to the sound. Should I grab a hundred pounds worth of ammo, food or gold and silver?
IronMonster, I get your point. If Mt. Rainer blew up, I'd probably grab the gold & silver. However if the economy blew up and currencies where of no value, I'd probably grab the ammo & food. I am no different than you. I will keep investing, and push forward. If it's all gone tomorrow, I will wake up the following morning, and start over. Nobody owes me anything, the government doesn't owe me anything, I owe it to myself to do the best that I can.

All depends on where you plan to end up.:D

I completely agree that if Rainier went along the lines of St. Helens, with evacuation and relatively very little loss of life, you grab the gold and silver. If we're talking world-changing-cataclysmic eruption, I would think you'd want your fightin' guns, ammo and enough food and water to get through whatever is between you and your destination.

SOP's are in place for the sake of OPSEC, correct? For us, even though we are in the middle of nowhere, an out of control fire, eruption of Shasta or God forbid the Yellowstone super-volcano(if that's really a thing) would be disastrous and because of that, we still have a backpack for each family member packed. Generally they are ALICE packs, with a few smaller European surplus packs for the children and even saddle bags for the dogs. You will find no gold or silver in these packs, because it is our stance that if we are running from the middle of nowhere, precious metals will be in the form of firearm cartridges.

Upon further reflection, one of our next city trips or possibly an internet purchase will supply us with enough pre-'65 dimes and quarters for barter if that should happen. We have a fair amount of silver, but our gold is in our wedding rings and the jewelry I purchased for my wife when we lived in Dreamland.

While I will be distributing small amounts of silver in each pack, currently ours look something like this:
3ea. Molot RPK 45 round 5.45x39 magazines loaded with 7N6 ammo
2ea. 1911 8 round mags loaded with Winchester Ranger T-Series
1ea. 50 round box of Win. Ranger T-Series
5ea.(15 total) rounds of 12ga. OO Buck, #6 Bird and 1oz. Slugs
1ea. 100 round box of various .22lr ammo
1ea. fixed blade knife(KA-BAR, PAL or Buck 119)
1ea. skinning knife
2ea. emergency blankets
1ea. Magnesium firestarter
100ft. ea. of Paracord
1ea. MRE
1ea. Water filter
1ea. 50 count Water purification tablets
1ea. Emergency Fishing Kit
5ea. Razor blades
1ea. flashlight
1ea. pair of gloves
1ea. First-Aid Kit
various Scriptures that match our beliefs(that is obviously a very personal and individual choice)

To keep weight down as much as possible, some packs have a hatchet for the splitting of wood or the pelvis of big game, or hand saws for the same basic purpose. Small amounts of coffee, salt and flour are spread around throughout the bags and even hard candies for energy or to make the kids smile.

We are very near what is the most desolate spot in the Contiguous US. It is the furthest from an Interstate that you can get with the exception of Alaska. My point is, if we have to run from this place things are very bad and we're probably just running to die somewhere else. However, the bags are still packed, as we'd rather have a chance if moving out is the best option.

There are so many variables. Where we are, we could theoretically melt into the forest and disappear. Where we used to live, as crazy as it sounds, gathering as many like-minded people as possible to hold the high ground on top of Mt. Tabor would be as probable an option as getting out alive after whatever disaster caused the chaos.

I will personally only run if it means the chance to fight another day. Our situation makes it easy and generally a better option to defend what we have built here. Were we still in a population center, our best option would probably be a plan involving a quick escape or if that didn't work out, a truly defendable, fortified position.

As usual, those are just my opinions and YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top