JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oman, I fired an SKS, now I was shooting at relatively close range, say about 30 yards, but the scope was off. I put the crosshairs right on the target and the bullet hit about 2 feet infront of the target (I think it was a plastic soda bottle) So I raised the cross hair about a few mm (from my eyes point of view) above the bottle and that thing flew 50 feet in the air when it got hit by that 7.62mm round. That is a damn powerful round that the SKS and AK-47 shoots, I imagine there isn't much in terms of police body armor that can stop that round.

There's your problem... An SKS shouldn't have a scope! :s0131: I'm pretty sure my SKS is more accurate than my AK's.

To the OP, looks like the typical response I get for anything I try to sell on Craigslist. I tend to ignore anything that isn't clearly written, or has even the slightest hint of scam behind it. And I often run into locals that are anywhere from just moved to been here a few years and still have out-of-state cell phone numbers, so that's not always a red flag - but it certainly doesn't work in their favor.

I received an email through armslist with an apparent cali number, he wants me to text him and he wants to pick up the guns.....and he types like he speaks broken english. I was just going to ignore him but curious if anyone else had input. (Not trying to drag my problems onto this forum or anything, just curious what others would do). Should i meet him and see if he's got Oregon id? Should I bring snipers or backup? Kidding, but I have heard some horror stories too. Or maybe he's just fishing for emails and numbers........

"Message from Jorger************@gmail.com, hit 'reply' to reply to the original sender.
Message regarding post '2 SKS RIFLES THAT TAKE AK MAGAZINES'
REMEMBER: Avoid scams by dealing locally and NEVER send money orders, cashiers checks, or wire money to sellers.

Hi, my name is George/jorge. I was wondering if yiu still had yiur sks rifles? If so id like to pick them up. 916_7**_**** please call me or text me"

(yes i bleeped out his info, he may just be using an old cell phone.....i used my colorado number for a while after moving here lol)

I'm still trying to find where you were being a racist ,hmmm

I don't deal with anyone who is questionable,in any way,when dealing with guns.But maybe he just doesn't write well.(go look at some of the posts on here,smart people,but poor english ,self included) And the way he spelled "you",maybe he doesn't type as well as he thinks.
He may have just hit the wrong key,they're all right there

Text him and see what's up.Some military people keep their old phone numbers for family,so that's nothing
And you don't need to use the FFL,just the parking lot...and CC when you go.

Good luck

I love playing along with these games.

The way I figure it, the more of their time I take up the less time they have to screw somebody who isn't as observant as I am.

Then again, figure out what keys were pressed incorrectly.
Notice the O and I are next to each other? Some people don't don't spell check.

I find it adorable that you(the OP) are concerned with keeping arms out of the hands of criminals and other folks on this thread want to be "sickened" by your unwillingness to make a deal with what appears to be a shady character. I guess every time that I don't respond to the Nigerian Prince that desperately needs my help and my $2,500 to free his $700 million, I am a racist. If 6-8 white men with shaved heads, suspenders and other "skinhead" gear get turned away from a gun purchase, the gun owner is applauded for keeping arms away from that kind of "trash". Guess what? Neo-Nazi skin's ARE WHITE. Mexican cartel member's ARE MEXICAN. I've also heard, though I've never been, that Afghani Taliban actually LOOK AFGHANI. If a white, "militant" looking person pulls up to a federal building I would like to think that folks would think of the McVeigh's of the world. When 6 "Arab" looking gentlemen arrive for flight training class with expired student visa's, I would like someone to look into that as well. When a "Mexican" attempts to buy firearms from California(phone number proves it and he identified himself as Jorge, that in itself requires an FFL, not racism), then proper precautions need to be taken. Wow, any excuse for us white folk to try to prove which of us is more "tolerant" than the next. What a joke. Sell him the guns. See if you can score a few kilo's of cocaine while you're at it. Whayever you do, don't come across as racist. Our little corner of America could be turned on end. Kip.

I received an email through armslist with an apparent cali number, he wants me to text him and he wants to pick up the guns.....and he types like he speaks broken english. I was just going to ignore him but curious if anyone else had input. (Not trying to drag my problems onto this forum or anything, just curious what others would do). Should i meet him and see if he's got Oregon id? Should I bring snipers or backup? Kidding, but I have heard some horror stories too. Or maybe he's just fishing for emails and numbers........

"Message from Jorger************@gmail.com, hit 'reply' to reply to the original sender.
Message regarding post '2 SKS RIFLES THAT TAKE AK MAGAZINES'
REMEMBER: Avoid scams by dealing locally and NEVER send money orders, cashiers checks, or wire money to sellers.

Hi, my name is George/jorge. I was wondering if yiu still had yiur sks rifles? If so id like to pick them up. 916_7**_**** please call me or text me"

(yes i bleeped out his info, he may just be using an old cell phone.....i used my colorado number for a while after moving here lol)

Forget it, not worth the risk. Also whenever I go to buy a gun I bring a friend and do the transaction in a public place in daylight. Better safe than sorry.

For the record, in my time o n this forum, I have dealt with 10-12 Caucasian men(saw ID), 2 men from Eastern European countries(Sorry, didn't get particulars, but I did see their OR ID's), 2 men of Latino origin(again, saw ID's, didn't need to question their place of birth) and one African American(saw ID). These are only the people that I have seen face to face, whether it was a firearm or a box of shells. I had no "bad vibes" or feelings of regret. ONE TIME in my life I turned away on a deal. I met a guy in a Walmart parking lot(white guy, for the record) and I was the seller. Rifle in question is an AR15. He examines the rifle, looks at another vehicle with tinted windows, raises the gun to show to the unknown vehicle occupants(I can't even say how many there were. 3? 4?) and then the window rolls down just enough for a hand to show a "thumbs up" sign. I did not say another word. I grabbed my rifle from his hands, walked to my vehicle and left. I want to be clear that this was the reason that I joined this forum, this did not happen with a forum member. Am I racist? My point with all of this is that the OP felt that something was wrong with the communication that he received from the potential buyer. We are flooded with news reports of how American guns are killing innocent children in Mexico, Arizona and Texas. The OP then came to us, his fellow gun enthusiasts, to ask advice on his gut feeling. That there are people whose only concern is to condemn him for turning away a "brown guy" is absurd. If I am not mistaken, by law are we not able to sell to others as long as we reasonably believe them to be an Oregon resident with no felonies? Therefore, if we reasonably believe the buyer to be from California, trying to purchase these firearms, are we not then required to at least not go through with the deal, if not to contact authorities? I'm still quite shocked that a seller wanting to do the right thing, rather than just taking the money and running, is being called out for it. If it feels wrong, it's probably wrong.

I'd probably respond if they want to go through an FFL than you would be happy to meet them. If it's on the level, they should be down, if it's sketchy you likely won't get a response...Oh yeah and only cash- no money orders or cashiers' checks...To be honest I'm not sure I'd ever sell a gun FTF- I'm not even a fan of shooting guns in the woods with people I don't know. I want to believe that most people, especially gun enthusiasts are inherently good people, but I just don't trust people very much.

Toxic,

I have walked away from a few deals on the forums due to bad vibes. Most in Colorado. Were they all legit bad vibes? I do not know but I do know I do not have to worry if I sold or traded or bought a gun to/from a bad guy.
Go with your gut. Your SKS's appear very nice and I am sure you will find a buyer soon. I would buy one if it were in the budget. Good Luck and be safe!

So he wrote me back, spelling correctly this time and confirming that he is an Oregon resident. When I received the first letter, the name combined with the apparent mis-spelling and the cali number through me for a loop - but maybe I assumed and I was always told that "when you assume, you make an *** out of u and me" so maybe I'll call 'em.

Might still see if they want to go through an ffl though....shouldn't cost too much to do a ftf transfer right, just the background check?

So he wrote me back, spelling correctly this time and confirming that he is an Oregon resident. When I received the first letter, the name combined with the apparent mis-spelling and the cali number through me for a loop - but maybe I assumed and I was always told that "when you assume, you make an *** out of u and me" so maybe I'll call 'em.

Might still see if they want to go through an ffl though....shouldn't cost too much to do a ftf transfer right, just the background check?

Just spell it ASSume,then we get the drift.

Have you talked on the phone to get a idea what's up?

Yeah waiting for him to call me back still. Hoping he didn't read this and think "f'k that guy" lol. Not getting into his business but he had a legit reason for the out of state number IMO, but I am still going to do either a bill of sale or a transfer......he didn't seem to have any problem with either so.

It was just too much for my paranoid brain...the out of state number, the mis spelling, the emphasis on the spelling of the name, and all the "sting" f'k ups (i meant operations) that are/have went down recently.

(OH - and I found another good use for project childsafe locks....free with every purchase, already installed and keys on delivery of payment to hand :p)

If to ASSume means to make you-know-what out of you and me, From here forward I shall only ASSu and leave the "me" out of it. Toxic6-You made the right decision, whether he buys them or not. First of all, if he was shady enough, you never would have heard back once you started asking questions. Second, your guns fill a niche and should sell without a problem. You're the one that has to sleep at night knowing what you have/haven't done. I am sure that there are far too many people out there that would have taken his money, then actually have themselves a good laugh over whether he was legit or not. You felt odd about a deal and you trusted your gut. Please don't cave next time because you don't want to pass up a sale. CNN will tell us all day long about the guy that sold guns "illegally" to a felon that used them for a Pre-School rampage, but they will never have a story on decent folk that want to do the right thing, passing up cash along the way. I wonder what would happen if our politicians did the same thing? You know, what is right rather than the cash grab. Good luck Toxic6. I know it will work out for you in the end. Kip.

A lot of absurd race baiting comments in this thread.. there are as many as 40 million illegal aliens in this nation and it is utterly illegal to sell them a firearm regardless of their nation of origin

The race baiting trick is getting old and it is not working any more but those who keep pushing it are oblivious

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top