JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mostly....the routine has been the same since I retired.

Watch TV. Surf the Internet. And check the refrigerator often. Maybe the "Beer Fairy" left me something.:eek:

Aloha, Mark

Mailman delivered this today, so later when it gets quiet, I'll fit that to the old M11 frame, then I'll have optics, night sights and laser grip, all on one...

Too much, eh? :D

743A0760-DC36-4924-94E1-C3495585AE3D.jpeg

So far, I haven't had much extra time to try to fill. The last week of Feb thru the first week of March I was the sickest for the longest I've ever been. Some sort of flu-like stuff. Odd, because I rarely get sick. Since this Kung Flu is supposed to be harder on older buzzards and it hit me over my 66th birthday, I like to think I'm a survivor already. Either that or I've been softened up for the kill when when the real deal comes around :eek:
So my regular work schedule has resumed, including some need to catch up. Two days a week at an away job and the most of the rest of the time in my shop making the product for my wife's on line business. It's sewing related so we've actually seen a little up-tick in orders.

20 years ago, a co worker stopped by to store a few items in my shop while he was moving. He guesstimated that I probably had 432 years worth of projects to do. As I slow down, I think he underestimated. While I was down, it was a littledepressing to realize i wont live long enough to even put a dent in them. Old trucks and tractors, old machine tools, a few gun projects. Probably another 3 acres of Scotch Broom to clear before they close the burn season, a project house. A half dozen fir trees the bugs have killed that need to become firewood all in addition to the normal maintenance and repair it takes to keep my little ongoing disaster moving. So, my challenge in not having a project. It's trying to figure which one do I have time (and sometimes $) for and these days ENERGY :eek: Grandpa was right, youth is wasted on the young!

I'm converting a S&W M-28 to .44 Special,
barrel fit, throats reamed, ready to do chambers.
Then I will make an 18 degree chamfer tool to cut the forcing cone. Good therapy!
View attachment 674932View attachment 674933View attachment 674934
Interesting concept, one Ive wondered about myself (Not that I have the skill or equipment to actually do it). Would like to hear more about this project if you get the time! Especially what you did about the barrel.
Thanks, Dun

Interesting concept, one Ive wondered about myself (Not that I have the skill or equipment to actually do it). Would like to hear more about this project if you get the time! Especially what you did about the barrel.
Thanks, Dun
Thanks, Dun
The barrel is the hard part. I found a used one online. It's a Model 27 barrel that's been rerifled. Good job by who ever did it. I thought about sleeving the old one but it's pretty thin to have layers. The conversion is pretty simple. Tram your mill perfectly, use a pin to align the quill and the chamber, and then ream the existing chambers straight. Then hand chamber with a large tap handle. 8FAD2DA9-3BE0-4C9A-AE73-56CB1A6C1307.jpeg 6DD73906-B4BA-4CB1-A1FE-A4A0B62C3AA7.jpeg

Got it done...

Here it is while rusting.
20200323_101239.jpg

Ran it through 6 times, no color change from the 5th time, so its pretty much as good as its going to get.
Here it is soaking in linseed oil...
20200326_153856.jpg

And the final product.
20200326_180844.jpg 20200326_180905.jpg

Now just need some grips.

What do yall think?
Stick with wood? Maybe Ivory or stags?

First project finished
Remington 514 stock refinish
5 coats of tru oil
Stock looks better in person
3rd one I have done, still learning

Attachments

• 20200327_155930.jpg
    20200327_155930.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200327_155942.jpg
    20200327_155942.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200327_155953.jpg
    20200327_155953.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200327_160000.jpg
    20200327_160000.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200327_160017.jpg
    20200327_160017.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200327_160028.jpg
    20200327_160028.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200327_160050.jpg
    20200327_160050.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm Frankensteining my Sig M11-A1...

First was CTC laser grips (pictured), now I've added the P229 Romeo 1 caliber conversion slide (also pictured), have the Sig threaded barrel for it (not pictured), next is a can, cause Uncle Don, Uncle Chuck and Aunt Nancy are giving me a windfall.... :s0140:

And of course, I want to do my share to keep the economy moving...

76156A8F-8EAF-41E0-AB11-22A53367A92C.jpeg

I know, laser grip, co-witness night sights and Romeo 1 Red Dot might be a bit much, but me eyes aren't gettin' any younger... :D

My wife is paranoid about this virus and I suppose that's a good thing. I have lots of work to do if the weather permits, but have been in the shop in the meantime. I have been casting, reloading and trying to arrange things in my shop. I have over 50 handgun magazines and am trying to find a reasonable way to store them so I don't have to dig through them every time I want to go shooting. I'm doing my best to prevent boredom, but sitting on my arse watching TV doesn't work for me.

My wife is paranoid about this virus and I suppose that's a good thing. I have lots of work to do if the weather permits, but have been in the shop in the meantime. I have been casting, reloading and trying to arrange things in my shop. I have over 50 handgun magazines and am trying to find a reasonable way to store them so I don't have to dig through them every time I want to go shooting. I'm doing my best to prevent boredom, but sitting on my arse watching TV doesn't work for me.
Magazines try small plastic bins for organizing, label what they're for if they're not already marked...

It is hard for all say this because all will think less of me,, but I will nap.

I had a nap today - and for once didn't feel guilty about it because now my time is not as limited as it was last week. I have every weekday free instead of 2 out of 7. I did get a little bit of cleaning done. Yesterday I tried to apply for unemployment, but their website wouldn't let me get past a certain point. Tomorrow I will try with my daughter's computer. Tomorrow I will do some more cleaning. Eventually I hope to get past the mess I have made living here and then get around to other projects.

Calculated that I will do ok financially if I apply for SSI now - SSI should pay my bills, UI will be put away for unexpected expenses and taxes/insurance/etc.

Got to work on my resume and start sending it out for job positions. I don't hold much hope in that area though - between my age and the coming recession, probably not going to snag anything. This is probably retirement for me. If I don't find a job by the end of the year I will probably just drop it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top