JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dunno, but I remember reading about it awhile ago (like last month I think?) and was curious behind the legality of their "buy backs" and if they follow BCG's or other laws applicable to it or not. Something on their site in wording made me question the whole thing.

As for turn ins:
Gun Turn-in – Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation

last one was Feb 3rd 2018 in Newport.

Recent Turn-ins
Our most recent turn-in was February 3, 2018 in Newport, Oregon. All weapons collected were removed from circulation and melted down.

The line in question about legality for me,

The Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation has sponsored gun turn-ins since 1994. A gun turn-in helps people safely dispose of unwanted guns with no questions asked.

Following that with:
2016 54 (includes 2 assault rifles & 2 stolen guns)

Well I just found their loop hole for bypassing a BGC for their turn in events.

Thanks SB 941!!

Oregon Firearms Safety Act – Ceasefire Oregon
SB941 2015 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

Are family members exempt from background checks?
OFSA exempts specific transfers or sales including transfers or sales:

• Between spouses or domestic partners; or
  • Between immediate relatives including siblings, parents, children, step children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, first cousins of the transferor; or
  • The spouses or domestic partners of the relatives listed above (e.g. your nephew's wife);
  • For certain temporary transfers; or
  • Involving a gun turn-in or buy-back program
Oregon law prohibits the sale or transfer of a gun to someone you know or should know is prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a gun.

Hmm seems like a dangerous "loop hole" buzzword they like to use from a provision they set!
:^)

So a felon steals a gun, uses it in a crime, takes it to a buy back where they will melt the weapon down to raw material AND WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! As Ceasefire proudly proclaims! They already listed 2 guns were stolen in the quoted post above so???? (Is anybodies almonds activated yet?)

No flaws in this system fellas certainly not its well thought out and totes not exploitable!

If this isn't seriously debated or questioned or even brought up in the next court cases or seriously looked into then I do not know what will potentially stop more abuse of a system that wasn't well thought out and had hoped nobody would look through carefully.

Last Edited:
Well I just found their loop hole for bypassing a BGC for their turn in events.

Thanks SB 941!!

Oregon Firearms Safety Act – Ceasefire Oregon
SB941 2015 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

Are family members exempt from background checks?
OFSA exempts specific transfers or sales including transfers or sales:

• Between spouses or domestic partners; or
  • Between immediate relatives including siblings, parents, children, step children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, first cousins of the transferor; or
  • The spouses or domestic partners of the relatives listed above (e.g. your nephew's wife);
  • For certain temporary transfers; or
  • Involving a gun turn-in or buy-back program
Oregon law prohibits the sale or transfer of a gun to someone you know or should know is prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a gun.

Hmm seems like a dangerous "loop hole" buzzword they like to use from a provision they set!
:^)

So a felon steals a gun, uses it in a crime, takes it to a buy back where they will melt the weapon down to raw material AND WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! As Ceasefire proudly proclaims! They already listed 2 guns were stolen in the quoted post above so???? (Is anybodies almonds activated yet?)

No flaws in this system fellas certainly not its well thought out and totes not exploitable!

If this isn't seriously debated or questioned or even brought up in the next court cases or seriously looked into then I do not know what will potentially stop more abuse of a system that wasn't well thought out and had hoped nobody would look through carefully.

Your Welcome....;)

Reading around online sounds like they have Police at the events to run checks, even though it states that a BGC isn't needed in a turn in/buy back. Ok so they are at least vetting the weapons and people against it but still I don't see how this is effective nor worth writing a bill over....

Also sounds like folks go to intercept turn ins of value while also dropping junkers for the buy back programs haha.

Interesting Twist On A Gun Buyback Program

Firearms enthusiasts crash gun buyback to hunt bargains

Found my own question out thru research because at first I was like wait a minute something don't sound right with all this but as it turns out there is some ground of legality being followed even though the bill states they aren't needed, odd....

Last Edited:
The LEO presence at any turn in/buy back is to run any Serial Numbers to clear any cases where a firearm is/was involved or reported stolen! Nothing more then that! Thats how they can claim illegal weapons discoverd ( i.e. black market) stolen guns! Yet no one is arrested or even questioned about these so called illegal weapons, the checks are only done after the turnee is gone, for their protection!:eek:

The LEO presence at any turn in/buy back is to run any Serial Numbers to clear any cases where a firearm is/was involved or reported stolen! Nothing more then that! Thats how they can claim illegal weapons discoverd ( i.e. black market) stolen guns! Yet no one is arrested or even questioned about these so called illegal weapons, the checks are only done after the turnee is gone, for their protection!:eek:

Then with hearing that because it sounds like they run the checks on a whim and im wondering if they even need ID or if they even follow up with the stolen guns to a person later is another subject.

I still claim exploitable loop hole in their favor, especially since I thought it was a crime to tamper or destroy evidence in a case/crime. Ala the "melting" down part involved after a turn in.

Also wonder, whats to stop someone from say, having their own "buyback/turn-in" just as long as a Police officer or two are there to run serials and someone offered cash rewards on the cheap to then take the weapons and not melt them down? Any laws against that? According to SB 941 no BGC is needed at one of these "events" or is there some secret policy that overrides that within the provided police officers department?

Example:

Pro 2A organization hosts a buy back and goes through proper legal channels and follows and adheres to SB 941. They offer $5 for pistols, $10 shoulder fired rifles/shotguns etc. Technically its a buy back/turn-in and there are a couple of provided police officers that will run the serials.

Bonus points: no stolen weapons are turned in and even a few 80% non serial AR's are turned in. What prevents said organization from not just running away with piss cheap guns?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads