JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just being too lazy to do a bunch of research on this rifle so figure I'd throw it out here for some discussion, if anyone is in the mood. Seems like a real good price at $350.00? What am I missing?

www.ifish.net

I think you might have been trying to link to your shopping cart or something good that link won't work for us.

Is it a low serial number?

All Mark I's are considered good serial numbers, but the link didn't work for me either.

If it's a military dressed Mark I, the $350 is an amazing price and I would be looking to find the catch.

If it's a sporterized gun, then without seeing it, we can only guess. My general thoughts with sporterized 1903's is that the prices range from $150 to $300 unless it has something that pushes that price up. Things that can push the price up are rare or high end parts (both military and aftermarket) or if the gun has only been sporterized only by clipping the stock. If the metal had not been altered in any way, then the value can rise as well, as replacing a stock it usually a doable thing.

Hmm, link works for me? Looks to me it may be sporterized, has what looks like a rubber recoil pad.

Not an original stock is it? wouldn't be hard to bring this back to original for someone like you Mountain Bear?

107f0cf60bd10e28fc756e4d470917d6.jpg

07f8daf6300834afc604f173bf76fe9a.jpg

9f07f41ab8d33fb56c89371e084bbddc.jpg

Yeah, this one was posted on this site as well. The seller initially posted it for $600. I explained what he had and made him an offer, but looks like he went another direction.

$350 isn't horrible, as it does have a nice Lyman 48 sight. It's usable as it sits. It does look to have some finish issues, which really only matter value wise on the rear sight. A bad finish pushes the value of the rear sight down by 1/3 to 1/2. The stock is pretty odd and has some odd repair marks, so I don't know if it's usable or not. The markings on the receiver look to be a bit washed during the polish and refinish.

It could be a solid gun. If it is, then at $350, you won't be taking a bath, but it's likely more than I would pay for it. You would have to be patient to recoup that price if you sold it.

Last Edited:
I guess i don't know what a MK1 is for an '03 then :)

Stock is type C style with the pistol grip, so a later stock IIRC. Though i don't remember them having that wavy cheek weld.

The mark I version of the 1903 Springfield was designed late in World War I to function with something called the Pederson device. It was essentially a way to turn the bolt action Springfield rifle into a smaller cartridge semi automatic. There were some internal parts differences (trigger, sear, mag cut-off), and there was an ejection port on the left rail of the receiver. Additionally, there was some wood removed from the left side of the stock so that the brass would clear when ejected. It used It's own .30 caliber pistol length cartridge.

Because the item was developed late in the war, it wasn't fielded. After the war, almost all of the devices they had been made were destroyed. Today they are hens teeth rare and exceptionally valuable. The rifles that were modified to use this device were sent back to arsenals and simply issued as standard rifles. There were a little over 100,000 Mark I rifles made. Like most other Springfield rifles, they were re-arsenaled over the years. It is very rare to find one in completely original condition.

Last Edited:
Gosh, thanks @MountainBear and @F2CMaDMaXX ! I wasn't interested in buying the rifle I just though it should have already sold as it looked like a solid , fairly, historical piece. I thought it possible that the folk at ifish weren't smart enough to see what a deal they had there. Different than here, where we have the smartest gun folks in the West! :D

I agree with Bear, I like them both ways when it comes to the 03's. A few months back when I was visiting family in beaverton, A cut Above Pawn had a really nice 03A3 sporter with a brand new barrel and a nice stock for $300. I should have made the deal, That was a really nice springer sporter for not a lot of coin!

The problem with SOME of the earlier '03 rifles lies in the method of heat treatment that can render the receivers brittle - to say the least' - when used with modern ammunition. Or, in some cases, even older ammunition. One receiver tested shattered when given a moderate blow with a rubber-faced mallet.

However, the remedy was there, and taken care of, by the two principal arsenals at the time.

'The change in heat treating was instituted between serial number 750,00 and 800,000 at Springfield and by serial number 285,506 at Rock Island Arsenal. Rifles manufactured after these serial numbers are referred to as "high numbered" receivers and are commonly stated to be safe to shoot.'

Needless to say, it only has to happen once to any '03 action to get your attention.

Pal of mine here in yUK has a Rock Island Arsenal rifle serial #300,000 or so, and he still looks up in surprise after every shot......

tac

Thanks so much for the info in this thread. I have recently considered trying to find a 1903A3 myself. I just love WWII rifles and thought it would be nice to finally get one where the ammo is easy to find for it. How hard is it to find the A3's in historical condition?

Shouldn't be *too* hard, mine is what you'd call historical condition, it's much easier to find the A3's as they're considerably newer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top