JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
years ago My newlywed wife and I were living in Springfield in a duplex..she woke me up to say she heard noises out side...I layed still and I heard scratching noises... eased out of bed and got a hold of my dads Mossberg 500..went into the hallway and peered into the crack of the spare bedroom and saw movement in the window I racked the slide and shadow went out the window...fast..she went to call the cops and the phone was dead....it had been cut at the box on the house...she had been at the store a hour or so before the cops think the badguy saw her there and followed her home...its like they say the noise of racking a shot gun is universal...still have the gun

Thoughts on Burglar in the house...
Spend time walking thru your house with your house gun.
Check out the "fields of fire" you have / or do not have with it.
See what corners , cabinets , furniture etc .. blocks your line of sight , snags your gun , hinders your movement, provides concealment ( for both you and the burglar ) .

Also be aware the objects look and sound different in darkness or while under stress.
Do your best to be sure that you are seeing and hearing what is actually there , not what you think is there.

Make sure you have good locks , doors , windows and lights.

And do not place a over-reliance on the sound of the "racking of the shotgun" or the sight of the red laser light will scare the burglar off.
Note I am not picking on those who posted and who worked the action of the shotgun or have laser sights in this thread.
I am very glad you are here and what you did then worked.
I am saying just don't fall into the trap of thinking the sound or light will scare 'em off ...
Or 'cause it worked once it must be good.

If you live with others have a plan and make sure the others in the house abide by it.
At least as much as the current situation allows ... plans do need to be flexible.
Maybe some sort of "safe word" or "password" so you don't mistake a teenager sneaking back in after curfew , or someone getting a late night snack for a burglar.
Andy

Last Edited:
It is indeed a dangerous belief.
Dangerous 'cause it it so wide spread and 'cause of the times where it has worked.
Hence my " do not place a over-reliance on the sound..."

I agree with you ditchtiger.
Why would you go into a dangerous situation with a empty chamber?
I wouldn't , and don't recommend doing so.
But ....
Some folks do and have survived.
In the end you need to do what works for you in your situation.
Andy

In my experience when looking at original guns ... it is a wise policy to run the ramrod down the bore , after checking for priming or caps , to see if it was stored loaded. ( as often the case )
I think we are on the same side here... I do not advocate the "racking of the slide" to scare 'em off.
Andy
What did folks do in the past? A patched round ball does not make much sound being pushed home. :D

My wife ran someone off coming in the window of our third story apartment back in NYC, 1:00 am. She said she would have shot him had I not left the Browning apart after cleaning it.

She ran this guy down with the stock and magazine in her hand and said I am gonna kill you, as he was making entry.
I asked how? He wasn't going to get near my kids, I would have beat him to death with the stock.

She has her own guns now :}
Silver Hand
Now that is a keeper wife!

None of you folks must listen to Joe Biden. Ol' Uncle Joe says if you hear a burglar, you just walk out on your deck with your double barrel shotgun and fire off both rounds into the air. That will scare off any dirtbags, and you will then be safe !!

You can easily "What If?" yourself to death with these threads and scenarios.
If what you did , caused a end to the threat / issue and you are alive with little to no legal trouble , then you did good.

On the other hand , if you find yourself trying out the other "What If's " 'cause you keep getting broken into..Then you need to move , no more "What If's " needed... :eek::p:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top