JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have not lived in the nicest of areas over the last 45 years. I have had three break-ins. Yes, THREE Real Deal Break-ins-I'M AT HOME real f'ing deal break-ins. First Break-In: I'm 19 years old. Second floor apartment Salt Lake City, Utah 3am. Wife woke me saying someone was sliding the kitchen window open. C'mon, really we are on the second floor! We have NO PHONE. I grab .35 Remington Model 8, take off safety-quietly, go to kitchen window. The guy has one leg in the apartment and the other outside. I press the muzzle or Remington against his left temple. He decides he has the wrong apartment. Retreats. I close window, lock it and try to go back to sleep. BTW, he had climbed up the front entry roof and was standing on a very small overhang so it was hard for him to get in the window from that angle. Second Break-In: I'm 30 years old, St. Paul Minnesota. We are putting a second floor addition for my three year old daughters bedroom (4th bedroom). Scaffolding out side. No windows in yet. All three bedrooms are on second floor. About 1am on a Sunday wife wakes me to, "Someone is on scaffolding!". I open gun vault, grap 1911 Colt go to hallway so I am between the burglar and my kids bedrooms-this is all I really care about anyway. Wife on phone with police. I'm not about to turn the corner (LEFT) to see where he is but I'm sure he is stealing the construction tools in the new bedroom and that's ok with me. I do not know where he is, gotta take a look, safety off, turn left corner quickly he is 18" off the end of my gun! Point gun at his chest, I start to squeeze trigger and wife screams, "Get the F--- outta my house." He dodges right and thru window (no window installed yet). He falls onto the lawn gets up and runs to back alley fence (6 feet), scales it and he is gone. Police arrive 10 minutes later-felt like an hour. Third Break-In: I'm 39 years old, SMALL TOWN, Oregon. About 2am, my dog barks downstairs. He is a good dog. I tell him, "Quiet!". Dog never barks again. Burglar steals small crap and about $35 from the plate by the front door. My $35 cheap home security system. If you drive home, come inside and the $35 is missing you have been burglarized, go back to car, drive away, call police. Lessons: Get wife-I NEVER would have woke up without her. Believe dog. Don't think you are going to be all bright and smart when it happens IF it ever happens! Scary part about second burglar-he was NOT there to steal the tools or he would have. The point is it never seemed to go the way all the tough gun guys talk about. Patrol home with fancy gun with laser sight or multiple guns with laser sights, kill burglars, stop home invasion, be hero, etc etc. Just Sayin'. Make what you will of it I don't need any Monday morning quarterbacks Thanks for reading, Have a great day.

Dogs FTW. Always listen to what they are saying. When they bark at that time in the morning they either need to pee/poop, or they are telling you something more important. Either way if you ignore them your going to have a bad morning.

Also, Wife FTW. Always listen to them too or you are going to have a bad time.

My wife ran someone off coming in the window of our third story apartment back in NYC, 1:00 am. She said she would have shot him had I not left the Browning apart after cleaning it.

She ran this guy down with the stock and magazine in her hand and said I am gonna kill you, as he was making entry.
I asked how? He wasn't going to get near my kids, I would have beat him to death with the stock.

She has her own guns now :}
Silver Hand

Scary for sure, Glad your alright and only small stuff ever went missing.. Both my wife and I carry, that being said.. I need to get her to the range more often, she can shoot well.. But we can always shoot better :) We both have our carry guns next to the bed side, with a youngin now in the house.. probably be worth investing in a floor safe I can bolt down in the closet and we can both leave our carry pistols. I also leave a flashlight on my nightstand.. Been a few times I have woken up to the cat doing something stupid and had to go check it out.

Edit: One thing a good friend of mine once imparted on me... Grab your pistol empty and walk your house with it.. check your corners and work through the house. get a feel of how you would sweep your house if you can home and the door was adjar, or if you heard a noise.. that way you know how to clean your corners and move through the house.

The point is it never seemed to go the way all the tough gun guys talk about.

I don't think in a situation like any of those they never go the way you think they will. In fact I would guess most guys don't think about how they will go because of that. This is the purpose for training and learning from others so that our situational awareness and training will work when needed.

Thanks for sharing ;)

How was your adrenaline?
That has been the one thing I have *hated* following encounters like that. Only once was I armed - I was in the basement cleaning my pistol, it's completely broken down, and some schmuck comes up to the window to check it. I look through and say in my best Marine voice, "YOU AIN'T DOING THAT HERE." Guy runs. I finish assembling my pistol, run out to the street, and he's nowhere to be seen.

Last night, I set my Bose headphones down to look at something, a guy lifts them and starts to walk away. I hear the tink of the microphone jack hit something. Look behind me, see they are gone, look at the guy walking away and loudly say, "DID YOU JUST GRAB MY HEADPHONES? I WANT THEM BACK!" and I start walking for him. He produces them and sheepishly hands them back. I just turned and walked away. One minute later, the adrenaline hits so hard my hands are shaking.

My dog was an accomplished pizza burglar.. that's it.
He actually foiled many attempted shenanigans by man and beast though.. 100% scary magic hearing and knowing what's going on outside any walls even in a hurricane. crazy

My dog was an accomplished pizza burglar.. that's it.
He actually foiled many attempted shenanigans by man and beast though.. 100% scary magic hearing and knowing what's going on outside any walls even in a hurricane. crazy
LOL!
I was rebuilding my first house. Work 10 hours, go to the house, work another 6, go home, crash, repeat. Domino's delivers 2 large pizzas, one for me, one for my wife, and she sets them down to wash while I pay the delivery guy. We're both starved.
I walk back into the kitchen to wash, both boxes are open on the floor and the dogs are running out the back door, each with a pie in its mouth. The one was well enough trained that she returned on command, pie in mouth. The other, stubborn one horc'd hers down as fast as she could.

Good perspective. My experience has taught me not to spend time laying there trying to analyze and convince myself what IS happening IS happening. For me it is do these certain things while the brain is coming back online.

Ever seen an English Mastiff inside the pizza delivery vehicle.
The one time we were asked to bring the dogs over for a reunion and pizza was ordered, the trader - He wanted to leave with the pizza guy.
Can't say I blame him, mummm that smell!
Are we off topic?
Silver hand

When I was about 15 and living out in the country.
I came home once and found a strange man standing on a 8' pole ''literally'' on one foot.
[One of two large poles at the entrance of my yards pole fence.]

His pants were torn. And the front door of the house was still wide open.

He claimed my German Shepard had him trapped up there for over six hours! :s0140:

My whole family has been lucky and has never had someone try to break into our house. Sure we live in the city and my relatives who live in the country well, you don't break into a country person's house because God knows what they will have.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews