JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into getting a 10mm pistol, the G20 seems to be the obvious choice. It seems like anytime there is a 10mm 1911 up for sale, there is always a G20 in the list of items that they would take partially in trade, as well as many other WTT threads. I want a pistol that I can carry hunting, fishing, hiking or camping with enough rounds that could defend against apex predators of all kinds.

What 10mm do you like? What would you carry in the woods? What don't you like about the G20? Or 10mm in general.

10mm is a unique, but fun round to shoot. Think of it like .40 magnum. It has better ballistics than a .45 ACP, but it isn't for everyone. Recoil can be an issue.

The FBI tried this experiment in the 90's with female agents. They claimed the guns "kept jamming" except what was happening was that they weren't strong enough to brace the gun against the recoil to allow proper cycling. This seemed to happen because of the size of the grip that was needed to hold the gun (double stacked mags). They even tried putting it in an MP-5, but H&K found that it wanted to blow the gun apart and wouldn't cycle well.

Another reason is that 10mm can be expensive to shoot. One of my next guns is going to be a G20. They are solid as Sears and work every time you press the BOOM! switch; but if something like that doesn't fit your hand or you fancy something a bit more traditional, the Colt Delta Elite or a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm might work for you.

I think some manufacturer even made a revolver in 10mm (moon clips mandatory) at some point.

Good points, I am not recoil sensitive. I am considering this vs a Ruger Redhawk or S&W model 29 (which I may pick up anyway). I like the idea of a G20 because ot weighs less, higher capacity and you can easily add a light, and put night sights on it and still have good portability. I tend to baby revolvers more than I do my plastic guns.

No one wants to drop a revolver in the mud while out in the bush.

Yeah...Yuck. I dropped mine while camping at the beach. Getting all of that sand out was a chore. I was thankful to have my M&P with me as well as I did not want to trust the revolver until I got it home and properly cleaned and test shot it. FULL of sand right after a nice cleaning with some great wet oil...wet enough to stick.

I have ... a fair number of 10mm pistols. One of the reasons the G20 is popular is that it is one of the few double stack 10mms. RIA has one in a 1911 (ROCK Ultra FS HC) and the new SIG P220 in 10mm I think has a decent capacity (have one on order - it might be my new favorite when it comes in). Of the ones I have, my preference goes between the Kimber 1911 model and EAA Witness. Glocks of all types don't fit my hand. Just holding it pinches my middle finger under the trigger guard. The original barrel gave the brass a belly swell at the web, but I put a Lone Wolf on it and no longer have that problem. Other than not fitting my hand, it shoot fine. Even the S&W 610 revolver is pretty fun.

I'd say go with whatever platform you like and that you can afford.

elsie

I have ... a fair number of 10mm pistols. One of the reasons the G20 is popular is that it is one of the few double stack 10mms. RIA has one in a 1911 (ROCK Ultra FS HC) and the new SIG P220 in 10mm I think has a decent capacity (have one on order - it might be my new favorite when it comes in). Of the ones I have, my preference goes between the Kimber 1911 model and EAA Witness. Glocks of all types don't fit my hand. Just holding it pinches my middle finger under the trigger guard. The original barrel gave the brass a belly swell at the web, but I put a Lone Wolf on it and no longer have that problem. Other than not fitting my hand, it shoot fine. Even the S&W 610 revolver is pretty fun.

I'd say go with whatever platform you like and that you can afford.

elsie

Agreed. I was in the market for a 10mm recently. I went with the RIA <broken link removed>

It has quickly become my camping gun the only issue I have now is finding ammo for it. I like shooting it enough that I need to start reloading the stuff. I am set up for 40 so the 10mm will be easy...Now to just start doing it.

I don't currently have a 10mm but have been eyeing the EAA steel frames. I think that would be my first choice with a 1911 as a close second. I really like the 1911 platform but think a new caliber in my collection may deserve its own handgun as well. Plus the stainless EAA's just look great.

The Glock is a great choice.The reason I first bought the Glock was it's just better than 1/2 the price of the Delta Elite and I'm not a S&W auto loader fan.(except the M&Ps of today). Plus I like Glocks.
The recoil isn't an issue as long as your hands are large enough for the grip.
The 10mm ,itself is supposed to be most like a 41mag.My guess is it's like a 357 max,if loaded to real specs and not 40+p.
Plus you have 16 rounds of ten.(15+1) So 2 mags and you are ready for the entire wolf pack.
If one comes up when I have the money,I would like to try one of the 1911 10s out,too.Probably a RI since ,again I can buy 2 glocks for the price of a Kimber or Clot. About 5 for the price of the STI

The only down side of the Glock or any full sized 10 is the size of the gun for woods carry. But I never feel under gunned with a 10......and then there's the spare mags
Oh and I have taken my Glock out to 159 yards at minute of pizza pan.Definitely an XL but still

I have seen enough double stack 1911 threads that I am shying away from the EAA witness, I saw on for sale a few months back at a gun shop that was about $500 a few months ago. That might have been a mistake.

Yeah...Yuck. I dropped mine while camping at the beach. Getting all of that sand out was a chore. I was thankful to have my M&P with me as well as I did not want to trust the revolver until I got it home and properly cleaned and test shot it. FULL of sand right after a nice cleaning with some great wet oil...wet enough to stick.

I dropped a pistol while at the beach too! My LPC, with lazer, into my hotel room toilet, with urine! Yuck alright! Took some cleaning in that lazer!

Don't know much about the 10's except history and I liked shooting my friends! But, his was all steel and I suspect it might be different with a Glock. I'm ok with recoil but I have small hands. Good luck with your 10!

The EAA witness is a CZ clone. Fine gun and I haven't heard any bad about it in the 10 or any caliber for that matter.
I think $500 ain't far off new price. Eaa's don't hold good resale,just because not many know much about them

I dropped a pistol while at the beach too! My LPC, with lazer, into my hotel room toilet, with urine! Yuck alright! Took some cleaning in that lazer!

Don't know much about the 10's except history and I liked shooting my friends! But, his was all steel and I suspect it might be different with a Glock. I'm ok with recoil but I have small hands. Good luck with your 10!
Urine might not be that bad a cleaning agent - amines dissolve copper. I'll take liquids over grit any day.

I assume the OP is going to reload, because there are so few "real" 10mm loads for sale out there - except maybe for Underwood's excellent and affordable offerings.

So if you're reloading anyway and claim to be recoil-insensitive, how about a grownup cartridge? :cool:
<broken link removed>
The Glock 21 is the same size as the G20.

I never got how the FBI stated that 10mm had too much recoil. It is not nearly as much as a revolver in .357mag, and they were shooting big hunks of steel in those early S&W 10mms.

I am debating weather or not I want a g21 that I can swap calibers in, or get the new g40 when it comes out. That sight radius and lighter gun would be amazing.

Got the 10mm Witness match last year. ! Single action , 2 14 rnd mags, light trigger. Iv'e had no problems with it. Makes a nice camp gun.

IMG_0086_zpsft7ltcy2.jpg

10mm the ultimate semi auto woods gun, I cant think of any of the pistols available that I wouldnt want. My only gripe with the 10 is the cost of practice ammo.... I swear it should not cost more than 45acp for low pressure 10mm FMJ.

still, its worth it.

I never got how the FBI stated that 10mm had too much recoil. It is not nearly as much as a revolver in .357mag, and they were shooting big hunks of steel in those early S&W 10mms.

I am debating weather or not I want a g21 that I can swap calibers in, or get the new g40 when it comes out. That sight radius and lighter gun would be amazing.
From what I have heard it was grip size not so much recoil. But if the grip is too big for your hand I would guess it would make a difference in the recoil.
Big hands so I have to speculate on that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads