JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Officer Budworth is featured in this article:

Via KPTV here's the Portland Police Association full statement on the indictment:

Earlier today, a Multnomah County Grand Jury charged a Portland Police Bureau (PPB) officer with misdemeanor assault four related to his actions as he worked to restore order during a chaotic night of burning and destruction in Portland. It is important to remember that our officer has not been found guilty of any crime. Like every citizen, our officer is innocent until proven guilty.

It is also important to know that Officer Corey Budworth is a committed public servant of the highest integrity. He has spent four of his six years as a PPB officer as a highly trained member of PPB's Rapid Response Team (RRT). In his service with RRT and his deployment at hundreds of protests and demonstrations, Officer Budworth has never faced any sustained force complaints.

Unfortunately, this decorated public servant has been caught in the crossfire of agenda-driven city leaders and a politicized criminal justice system.

A planned demonstration was organized on August 18, 2020, outside of the Multnomah Building in SE Portland. Online posts called for people to come with guns and weapons that night. Under the cover of darkness, a group of 200 demonstrators, many equipped with tactical helmets, faces covered, and armed with a variety of weapons, sparked a night of violence. Multiple dumpsters were set on fire, buildings were defaced, and windows were broken.

As the event escalated it was declared a riot; community members and police officers were at risk of serious injury and someone from the crowd launched a Molotov cocktail into the Multnomah Building, setting it ablaze.

After nearly 75 consecutive nights of violence, destruction, and mayhem, a small group of RRT officers—including Officer Budworth—were again tasked with dealing with the riot. Per PPB Command Staff orders, RRT officers cleared the rioters from the area to allow the Fire Bureau to extinguish the blaze.

But the rioters were not satisfied. A short time later, the same group of rioters re-amassed and began to march back toward the Multnomah Building. RRT was again deployed to disperse the crowd and prevent any further violence and criminal activity. A confrontation then ensued. As RRT officers worked to clear the rioting crowd, Officer Budworth was forcefully knocked to the ground. The crowd grew even more aggressive, prompting other RRT officers to deploy pepper spray and less lethal munitions to try and break up the riot.

During the encounter, an officer began to take one of the rioters into custody. Other rioters interfered with the arrest. RRT officers, including Officer Budworth, used their Police Bureau-issued batons to try and stop the crowd's criminal activity. Per his training and in response to the active aggression of a rioter interfering with a lawful arrest, Officer Budworth used baton pushes to move a rioter, now known to be Teri Jacobs, out of the area. As Officer Budworth cleared Ms. Jacobs from the area to stop her criminal activity, Ms. Jacobs fell to the ground. Reasonably believing that she was getting back up to re-engage in her unlawful activities, Officer Budworth employed one last baton push to try and keep her on the ground, which accidentally struck Ms. Jacobs in the head. The location of Officer Budworth's last baton push was accidental, not criminal. He faced a violent and chaotic, rapidly evolving situation, and he used the lowest level of baton force—a push; not a strike or a jab—to remove Ms. Jacobs from the area.

Ignoring the reality of the violent nature of the crowd and Ms. Jacob's criminal activity, the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office has now charged Officer Budworth with a crime for his permissible use of force. Officer Budworth did exactly as he was trained. Don't just take our word for it; PPB's own experts reviewed his actions and found them reasonable, permissible, and in accordance with his training.

We ask our community to wait for all the facts before passing judgment. We trust in our criminal justice system when the system fairly and objectively applies the rule of law. Once the full picture is revealed, we are confident that justice will prevail, and Officer Budworth will be exonerated of all charges. And we look forward to seeing the District Attorney's office make progress on prosecuting the real criminals who are perpetrating vandalism, arson, gun violence, and other violent crimes in our community.

We stand by our officer, truth, and justice.

Sounds like Rajneeshpuram to me. Take a visit to Netflix and watch Wild Wild Oregon and see how that played out.
Don't need to watch anything, I was here for that. Yeah, I'm that old. I'm not saying it's a genius plan, I'm saying that at least this is not infringing property rights.

Buying up some land and forming a commune rather than homesteading other people's land. As the SEA ladies say, "up to you" ...

Watch the body cam video from when George Floyd was still in car. "I've been rimming" then look up what rimming means in the drug culture. Seems unlikely that this was his first trip back on the chemicals in a year.
Also "committed no felonies" and being caught in felonious activities are two different things.
No, I'm quite confident he's been drug and felony free for over a year now. Nothing is certain but this one is pretty close.

(This is an IQ test - can you pass?)

@RedCardinalSeven, thank your for your contribution to this site. You are a rock. Or more precisely a stone against which we sharpen our argument. You're smart, articulate, determined and when you are wrong you are both adamant and persistent. Just about perfect. :) And you're even mostly polite about it, which is damned difficult when being both wrong and adamant. Never change.

The Republicans have dominated Idaho for longer than thirty years. Is it also obvious to you that the Idaho GOP is corrupt? My point is that simple electoral dominance alone is not evidence of corruption.
I don't argue with people at all, I just point out what's different and move on. Oregon has all mail in ballots so its easy to cheat. Idaho has no mail in voter fraud so they get the politicians the voters want. If you can't or don't want too see the difference then I can't help you any more.

Have a great day.

After April 16, 1993, if not sooner, a cop would have to be high or profoundly ignorant to assume that any politician has their back. Regardless, their job and their oath don't give them a pass to assault citizens except in lawful self-defense or, as necessary, to make a lawful arrest. There's no bad-politicians-made-me-do-it exception. The larger circumstances surrounding the incident should be considered as mitigating factors in Officer Budworth's favor and perhaps he will be acquitted. Perhaps not.
(My emphasis added above)
To your point, we agree on mitigating factors in the situation (and thank you for posting the good information about the officer from another article). In my experience of filing hundreds of cases with the DA's office, the primary location to review factors like this is with the DA, not a jury. Trust me, I had a lot of heartburn over this initially. But the courts only have so much bandwidth for cases and wheat and chaff must be separated. In a land where Mult. DA's office has pretty much decided that nothing is a crime, my opinion is that this incident could / should have stayed internal, perhaps after a DA's office review.

Related to your Rodney King reference, this is an example where a jury was allowed to look at context, totality of the circumstances and hear all the evidence before determining the officers were innocent. LA burned (I was an officer in nearby area at the time and experienced the effects), feds stepped in a threw the 5th amendment out the window for double jeopardy and tried them a second time for the same offense. (I know people in black robes have determined that civil rights violations are considered a different offense, but again, it shows the extra prosecution levels officers are subject to...and of course I agree that officer should / must be held to a higher standard than the public, lived by this my entire career.)

113 federal officers have been injured by lasers in Portland. To me, I don't know how this would not be considered assault in the first or second degree. Both felonies. Now, I'm not a lawyer (but I do frequently stay at Holiday Inns, so I have that going for me), here is why I'm not shedding any tears for the "protesters."

ORS definition:
"Deadly physical force" means physical force that under the circumstances in which it is used is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

Limitations on the use of deadly force:
Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209 (Use of physical force in defense of a person), a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1)Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2)Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3)Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person. [1971 c.743 §23]

Officers did not, "Sign up for this," when antifa, supported by the mayor of the city and given cover by folks who may actually have good intentions but fly like ducks with the rest of the rioters committing felonies and don't disperse have been allowed to burn, loot, murder, assault and permanently injury officers, make Portland a no-go zone, and commit thousands of other felonies with complete immunity for over a year now.

Oh, and while there are still people held from the 1/6 event in DC without bail charged with trespassing. I'll take the Chewbacca bikini wearing, dude with the Octoberfest helmet any day over going up to PDX.

Thank you for the conversation.

1) "If welfare programs ended, we'd see most of these crazy leftist protests on a regular basis dry up almost overnight. Can't be out all day marching when you have to go to work."
Ending welfare doesn't mean they would work. It's doubtful they actually know how. It would probably lead to more riot and affray and they would make their "living" by looting.

2) "He's been charged with misdemeanor assault."
If a Mundane smacked a chick in the head with a baton it wouldn't be a misdemeanor.

3) "They did not sign up to have their political leaders intentionally put them in an untenable situation for said leader's political gain."
The dialectic in action.

4) "If the Police were being supported, if rioters were going to jail besides a token few, etc..."
And if Mama had a dong she'd be Daddy.

@RedCardinalSeven, thank your for your contribution to this site. You are a rock. Or more precisely a stone against which we sharpen our argument. You're smart, articulate, determined and when you are wrong you are both adamant and persistent. Just about perfect. :) And you're even mostly polite about it, which is damned difficult when being both wrong and adamant. Never change.
:s0140: :s0140: This is why I love opinions, a man with a brain is very common but wit makes it outstanding. Especially when its not even insulting. I rarely praise a poster sir but thanks for starting my morning out right.:s0093:

1) "If welfare programs ended, we'd see most of these crazy leftist protests on a regular basis dry up almost overnight. Can't be out all day marching when you have to go to work."
Ending welfare doesn't mean they would work. It's doubtful they actually know how. It would probably lead to more riot and affray and they would make their "living" by looting.

2) "He's been charged with misdemeanor assault."
If a Mundane smacked a chick in the head with a baton it wouldn't be a misdemeanor.

3) "They did not sign up to have their political leaders intentionally put them in an untenable situation for said leader's political gain."
The dialectic in action.

4) "If the Police were being supported, if rioters were going to jail besides a token few, etc..."
And if Mama had a dong she'd be Daddy.
That helps make things clear now?

After April 16, 1993, if not sooner, a cop would have to be high or profoundly ignorant to assume that any politician has their back. Regardless, their job and their oath don't give them a pass to assault citizens except in lawful self-defense or, as necessary, to make a lawful arrest. There's no bad-politicians-made-me-do-it exception. The larger circumstances surrounding the incident should be considered as mitigating factors in Officer Budworth's favor and perhaps he will be acquitted. Perhaps not.
Deflecting the question and straw man arguments.

First, there is a rather large difference between a politician "having their backs" and intentionally placing them in an untenable situation with the goal of pushing them past their breaking point so that the politician can reap political gains from the inevitable carnage. The same holds true for your "There's no bad-politicians-made-me-do-it exception." statement. You deflect from the more complex issue of human breaking points and insert your true but simplistic statement. You refuse to address the central point of my argument, that the politicians have intentionally placed officers in a situation designed to push them past the limits of human endurance.

Your "There's no bad-politicians-made-me-do-it exception." statement ignores the reality of PTSD. You trivialize the mental trauma endured by the officers. I'll repeat my opinion here that you don't understand it because you've not endured it. You've not been subjected to the depredations of a group intent on breaking you. A group given the authority, the tools and the will to succeed. Yes, there is in fact a defense based on this, and the DA should have recognized this and not brought charges. The problem, of course, is the DA is part of the group that sought to create this situation for political gain.

I agree completely with your statement "Regardless, their job and their oath don't give them a pass to assault citizens except in lawful self-defense or, as necessary, to make a lawful arrest." However, your conclusions drawn from that statement are fallacious, they don't follow. You ignore or trivialize who is at fault for the situation. The officer should have faced administrative discipline for his actions, and an investigation into the situation that caused the breakdown of discipline should be investigated. That won't happen because the situation was intentionally created by Mike Schmidt et al to get exactly this result.

Keep your head up and nose into the wind, there may be Indians about.:s0140: name the movie and claim the glory.
"Jeremiah Johnson"
Said to the kid, and then looks over at his gifted Indian girl as though he may have insulted her.

A favorite movie of mine. I spent a fair amount of time off-road/trail riding my motorcycle enjoying the same views you'll see in the movie. Skied at his resort, Sundance. Been through most other areas the movie was filmed. There's special meaning to me in the scenery of that movie.

In our society military leaders don't intentionally or casually waste the lives of their troops.
That's part of the contract. That's why citizen soldiers choose to fight.

The scumbags running Portland are intentionally using the cops as cannon fodder.

When they send the cops out night after night to confront rioters knowing they're going to release the collected criminals, you are reducing the police function to that of human targets...cannon fodder.

What the hell is wrong with the people of Portland?
Why do you keep electing human excrement into positions of governance?

EDIT....when Portland is completely transformed into a boarded up burned out economic wasteland maybe they'll hand the new urban plantation off to somebody else as reparations.

Last Edited:
Yes. They didn't quit their jobs, they quit that team. I don't expect many officers to join it and the local politicians don't like RRT. I assume it's effectively dead at this point.
The clueless running Portland are looking to the State Police, the Feds and perhaps the National Guard to replace the volunteers

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top