JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that 18 U.S.C. Sec 923 (the feds) also says that you have to also follow state laws.

This whole thing s*cks big-time.

this is all I can find with respect to state laws on the C&R FFL

"Yes. It is unlawful for any licensed collector to sell or deliver any firearm or ammunition to any person if the person's purchase or possession would be in violation of any State law or local published ordinance applicable at the place of sale or delivery."

Doesnt really say anything about collecting

Are there any other states where the C&R FFL is useless? this has to have happened before.

Found it 18 U.S.C. 927:
No provision of this chapter shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of the Congress to occupy the field in which such provision operates to the exclusion of the law of any State on the same subject matter, unless there is a direct and positive conflict between such provision and the law of the State so that the two cannot be reconciled or consistently stand together.

This interpreted in 27 CFR 478.58 as follows:

A license issued under this part confers no right or privilege to conduct business or activity contrary to State or other law. The holder of such a license is not by reason of the rights and privileges granted by that license immune from punishment for operating a firearm or ammunition business or activity in violation of the provisions of any State or other law. Similarly, compliance with the provisions of any State or other law affords no immunity under Federal law or regulations.

(NOTE: the U.S.C. is the law as written, the CFR is the regulations as implemented based upon that law)

yeah, its pretty obvious that the person that wrote the bill did not know anything about C&R.

I dont think I can do anything from Oregon. So I'd say call the ATF or write them a letter and at least get something official. Second, call your representative and governor and tell them they forgot about this (like when NJ forgot about the police when they rushed through their magazine law). I'd call any collector gun groups in the area and get them behind you.

If it was me, I'd also throw in some passive aggression and call the local ATF office for a refund on the cost of the C&R license as well as asking my representative for one (plus the refund on the cost of my bound book and all the other trivial crap).

Then I'd call any annoying radio broadcaster and have them run with it (does Lars cover washington?)

At least you still get dealer pricing at Brownells.

Second Amendment Foundation is probably the closest. I'd be surprised if the Alans (Gottlieb and Gura) don't already have a host of strategies to challenge the new law, and state law running contrary to federal law is sure to be one of them. However, as others have pointed out already, state preemption is a real thing.

Last Edited:
Second Amendment Foundation is probably the closest. I'd be surprised if the Alans (Gottlueb and Gura) don't already have a host of strategies to challenge the new law, and state law running contrary to federal law is sure tout be one of them. However, as others have pointed out already, state preemption is a real thing.

I sent them a note on the C&R issue and if their webpage responds anytime soon I'll throw in a donation as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top