JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, you don't have to go through a dealer for in-state NFA transfers. You'd just do a private party form 4 transfer from one to another. If you go out of state, you WOULD have to do two transfers.

Many CLEOs who otherwise sign are often unaware of the exceptions and intricacies. Luckily mine is very NFA friendly and on my last NFA purchase spent half an hour on the phone with the seller/dealer (item personally owned by the dealer) to educate himself on NFA law other than simply rejecting it.

Many CLEOs who otherwise sign are often unaware of the exceptions and intricacies. Luckily mine is very NFA friendly and on my last NFA purchase spent half an hour on the phone with the seller/dealer (item personally owned by the dealer) to educate himself on NFA law other than simply rejecting it.

What does this have to do with whether or not you need two transfers for a private party NFA sale?

So in state, one transfer, on a form 4(?). Interstate has to go through a dealer, then it's two; one prior owner/dealer, one dealer/buyer?

Yes on all counts.

Instate private party to private party on a Form 4. Approved form is sent by ATF to the seller and who gives the original stamped Form 4 to buyer along with firearm. $200 total transfer tax.

Out of state private party to private party the first approved Form 4 is sent by ATF to the seller who then ships firearm and original stamped Form 4 to your in state dealer. Second approved Form 4 is sent to dealer who gives the original stamped Form 4 to buyer with firearm. $400 total transfer taxes.

If it were coming from a dealer out of state it would transfer tax free on a Form 3 to your in state dealer, then transfer on a Form 4 to you. $200 total transfer tax.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top