Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

So let me get this straight...

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Stickjockey, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Stickjockey

Stickjockey Corvallis, OR Member 2015 Volunteer

If I arrange to purchase, say, a SBR, from a private party, I have to go through an NFA dealer. This requires me to pay two transfers?

2. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

No, you don't have to go through a dealer for in-state NFA transfers. You'd just do a private party form 4 transfer from one to another. If you go out of state, you WOULD have to do two transfers.

3. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

+1

4. abbadon

abbadon Member

Many CLEOs who otherwise sign are often unaware of the exceptions and intricacies. Luckily mine is very NFA friendly and on my last NFA purchase spent half an hour on the phone with the seller/dealer (item personally owned by the dealer) to educate himself on NFA law other than simply rejecting it.

5. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

What does this have to do with whether or not you need two transfers for a private party NFA sale?

6. abbadon

abbadon Member

Just that one should be prepared in case the CLEO is not clear on the law.

7. Stickjockey

Stickjockey Corvallis, OR Member 2015 Volunteer

So in state, one transfer, on a form 4(?). Interstate has to go through a dealer, then it's two; one prior owner/dealer, one dealer/buyer?

8. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

Yes on all counts.

Instate private party to private party on a Form 4. Approved form is sent by ATF to the seller and who gives the original stamped Form 4 to buyer along with firearm. $200 total transfer tax.

Out of state private party to private party the first approved Form 4 is sent by ATF to the seller who then ships firearm and original stamped Form 4 to your in state dealer. Second approved Form 4 is sent to dealer who gives the original stamped Form 4 to buyer with firearm. $400 total transfer taxes.

If it were coming from a dealer out of state it would transfer tax free on a Form 3 to your in state dealer, then transfer on a Form 4 to you. $200 total transfer tax.