JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where did you get the stock on the Sporterized 1917 rifle?
The Tikka Superlite akin to the SAKO A7? I have two, my lightest yet.
Good question. I actually have 2 m1917's with "custom" stocks. They both have the left hand cheek piece, since I shoot left handed:

The first one I bought with the left handed stock, but had to grind and contour the grip and stock to fit me the way I wanted it to. Then I refinished it with tru-oil:
RNLp0Q8.jpg
It's one of my favorite hunting rifles. I grab it more than I grab any other rifle. The m1917 feels so natural to me because I've used them since I was 12. The second m1917 is actually a BSA model E and was sporterized in england. The left hand stock came off of a P14 that I bought just for the stock. Here is a pic of those rifles together. I added red pachmayers to both stocks, as I like the look of that recoil pad on a wood stock:
yWu3eKO.jpg

Here's my BSA after I was done refinishing it:
ETPGk7o.jpg
B7SUI6L.jpg

It is actually a 308 Norma magnum now:
fk0zbSq.jpg
x3AH6fn.jpg
fBOvczG.jpg
That 308 Norma is showing some real promise in the accuracy department, with multiple bullet weights and brands.

The 308 norma magnum came out a year after winchester brought out the 338wm. It is what the 300wm should have been, but Winchester drug their feet on a big 30 cal magnum. Funny thing is they drug their feet for 4 years. The 300wby came out in 1945, the 300H&H way before then, but the 300 win mag debuted in 1962. Go figure... the 308 Norma is the ballistic twin to the newer 300 WSM, but has much more of a "cool factor".

Last Edited:
The 308 norma magnum came out a year after winchester brought out the 338wm. It is what the 300wm should have been, but Winchester drug their feet on a big 30 cal magnum. Funny thing is they drug their feet for 4 years. The 300wby came out in 1945, the 300H&H way before then, but the 300 win mag debuted in 1962. Go figure... the 308 Norma is the ballistic twin to the newer 300 WSM, but has much more of a "cool factor".

I think if we talk about the 308 Norma enough, it will have a resurgence like the 10mm!

I think if we talk about the 308 Norma enough, it will have a resurgence like the 10mm!
Probably not, my friend. Norma's downfall was they lacked the clout of winchester and Remington. They also didnt advertise as heavily as the big names. Winchester has always had excellent marketing skills, thus the short necked pos 300 win mag survived and the Norma mag struggled to keep its head above water.

As for H4350, WHO has not tried it in their 6.5 Creed? My savage loves the stuff. This is from today:

That savage is a dang good rifle. I don't expect my Tikka to even keep up with it in terms of accuracy. It's just not going to happen. They are 2 different animals. My intention is to try a different powder in the Tikka. The targets from my first posts are with H4350 powder. The Tikka is showing some good promise with Big Game powder:

[U]bsa1917hunter[/U]
I see the thread is about a year old, but I have been debating between a savage and a tikka in the 6.5 and ran into this thread. Sounds like you have experience with both. Would it be possible to bounce a few questions off you on the two?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top