JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
AR's are far more reliable than common perception. AK's are far more accurate than common perception. Buy a couple of each. My old Mini 14 had so many FTF's even with (crazy expensive) factory mags that it got sold to buy my AR which has never had one. There I just put a few misconseptions to rest:D

Well unless your a soldier , cop or bad guy your usually shooting paper not people

I'm none of the above, but I like to practice because 1., it's fun and 2., just in case.

C'mon now don't tell me you're all deer hunters on here..

Laser pens are even more accurate than AR's, but that's not any fun either.

I am an AK guy. Now that we have gas piston AR's, the modular system is hard ignore. The ability for me to have an AR with a standard 5.56 upper, a 6.5 Grendel upper, a .308 upper with a 24" heavy barrel and scope and finally an upper in .50 Beowulf that I can switch out in seconds is hard to argue with. It is also hard to argue with the fact that I can field strip, clean and reassemble my AK's in 6-8 minutes. The direct impingenent system is the flaw in the AR. Basically, if the gun takes that long to clean, it needs to stay clean for longer periods of time. The reason the round is flawed in combat is the use of FMJ projectiles. If we were able to use SP or HP ammo, the Jihadi's wouldn't be able to take 6 shots to the chest, whack your buddy(or you) with his AK and make it a mile before dying. When our young people were raised with guns, the Garand and the M-14 made sense, as the marksmanship was there from childhood. Now, there are enlisted men who touch a rifle for the first time in basic training. I guess they may need 30 round magazines to "spray and pray". A larger projectile is what I like. AK47's(and 74's for my wife and young son) for CQB and .308 for virtually everything else. Just my opinion. I know that there are valid opinion's out there that contradict mine. As long as we are all armed, I'm OK with whatever floats your particular boat. Kip

Honestly I am not a huge AR fan, they definitely have their own set of issues. But, having said that, I own AR's for our rifle platform. After doing a lot of research on what I wanted to standardize on as a platform, the AR was what I ended up with. The options, affordability, availability of spare parts, and the ammo were the deciding factors from a prepping point of view. We can get ammo for relitivly cheap, the US armed forces are using them, so there will always be a supply, and parts for repair are very plentiful. The options for long term use are to overwhelming to over look. I also spent time learning how to build them so in the future I can repair them pretty easy. People will argue their effectiveness and reliability until time comes to an end. For me there are too many positives to re tool using another platform.

Can't say I am or am not a AR fan. I do like shooting mine, but I did not own one until last June/July. I just sold off my AK, my first and most likely my last. Not because it was a bad shooter. Because I thought it shot just fine. I had issues with my eye sight and the forward rear sight. For the ease of shooting on my eyes, I need the rear sight as close to me as possible. I have since picked up a PTR-91 and a Daewoo 200 and I like them just as much as my AR. I hope to add a M14 to the collection one day.

I have AR's from .22 LR, to .458 Socom. No matter which one I pick up, night,
or day, all of the knobs and buttons are in the same place.:s0155:

Just have to watch which magazine I put in..:s0131::s0114::s0114:

Jack...:cool:

They've never been my favorite, but then again I was never in the service. I think a lot of guys buy an AR after they discharge, 'cause it's what they're used to working with.

For my SHTF preps, I've gone to AKs, Glocks, and an 870. And for my fun shooting times, I'm a fan of brown guns, not black guns. I don't own anything else in 5.56, and I've been reluctant to add another caliber to the mix. It's hard enough to stock .22, .308, 7.62x39, 12 gauge, 9mm, .38 special, and 45.

I recognize that the M4 is a far different rifle than what we fielded in Vietnam. However, there are still some aspects of the design I personally don't care for. Beyond that, the GWOT sure seems to have spawned an endless array of AR makers and accessories. I sometimes get tired of the competitive accessorizing you sometimes see, over on places like arfcom.

Still, they are pretty cool. And I like the latest evolution, which seems to be moving away from picatinny everywhere to only having rails where you need them. One of these days, I'll get one. But not for awhile yet.

G3 fan here

P1010115.jpg
P1010116.jpg

The AR has ups and downs like any rifle. I own an Ar and can say I don't like the over-all reliability in dirt,snow and rain conditions which I do hunt and target shoot in (unlike some that only bring out their ARs from the safe when it's 70 deg and sunny out and clean it every 5 rounds and brag about how reliable they are) but on the upside I do like the fact I can shoot sub MOA 1/4-1/2

Capn Jack-I forgot about the .458SOCOM! That wold be cool to have.

DirtyBird-I too have AK's and 870's. I have 2 MAK90's and a few 74's(one of them a Saiga). On top of the 870's, I would like to eventually get a Saiga 12. Once they are on the market for a while, the KSG looks like a good design, but it seems like someone will take that bullpup and go semi-auto with it. I wonder why Keltec didn't? I have a Glock22. It's unstoppable and great. For my SHTF needs though, I go to Ruger P345's. Incredibly reliable, accurate and light. Also S&W 686. My wife won't let her PKP345 go, but I think I'm going to move to the FN FNP45. 15 rounds of 45 in a 30 ounce gun for less than $600? Count me in. You're right, they are cool, but I agree with you. I'm just not there yet. If and when Ruger SR556's start hitting used racks with frequency and lower prices a gas piston AR could be in my future. The ammo, mags and parts being everywhere is definitely a one-up for AR's. I live near Mt. Tabor. I wonder how many AR's are in a one mile radius around Mt. Tabor. I bet quite a few. Kip.

me. not really a fan. OK to shoot, but then again anything that goes 'bang' is fun. other than that, they just don't do anything for me. to be fair, most "modern" firearms don't, though. nothing wrong with them, just not me.
give me a lever action like a marlin 336... now we're talkin'. totally different ball game, sure... but one i like a lot more. something with wood furniture, an action that's been around a century, some soul.

something a little closer, i'll take a Dragunov, thank you.

I am not a fan of the AR platform as I am not a fan of glocks. I favor the 308 and the 1911 or browning hi power. I am a dinosuar. I have had and shot both Glocks and AR's, no thank you. I was trained and qualified on a M14, 1911 and a 870 riot shotgun in the service. I have a G3 now until I can afford a m1A of my own. No thanks on the AR or the 223 cartridge.

James Ruby

"im just going to say it... I HATE AR'S ! " compared to HK weapons they are junk... in my opinion.hk's have better features, are more simple and more reliable.if i wanted an AR platform weapon,i'd pick the HK 416. they worked out all the kinks. im also not a budget weapon guy.

I think that the real question is what your going to do with the rifle. I have an AR, actually i have 2, I also have a 7.62 equipment, and pending on what i am going to do with it is the question. Long Range, I am going to touch the target with a 7.62 Sniper Rifle, PR shooting, action range shooting, AR. I like the AK platform, they are just not as fun as an AR in the semi-auto land. i think an AK is a spray gun. I am an AR guy cause I can manipulate the platform as i see fit. Plus, they look cool, your neighbors think your a bad *** vs a hunter. In the long run, i am shooting targets, and its all about what you can shoot straight. Home Defense goes to my shotgun.......

With the advancements in converting to piston driven AR types I think they have come along. I still would rather have an AK, FAL, or M-14, even a B.A.R.:D I'll take anything in 30-06. Thats my caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top