Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

So, is anyone NOT an AR fan?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Boats, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

This ain't a thread for hating the black rifle, it's just that I understandably see a lot of threads about it and don't read most of them because the rifle just doesn't float my boat no matter how it's configured.

Anyone else posting here who would like almost any other magazine fed semi auto rifle made ahead of adding yet another AR to the world?

2. wyattburp

wyattburp Beaverton Member

I sold mine to get into the M14/M1A world. I'm not looking back either... Not that I don't like them, I just like my new toys more :)

My wife loves her AR15 though.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Never had much of any use for any AR AK SKS or the like. But I got nothing against those that do enjoy that type of firearm. Less of them looking at the old Winchesters and things I lust after.

4. auditrevor

auditrevor salem Active Member

I wasn't the biggest fan of them (much preferred a ak47 style rifle) till I started going shooting more and becoming more focused on accuracy then just plinking. I plan on getting a ar sometime next month and modifying to to fit my likings. the nice thing about them is that the platform is very modular so you can easily change calibers, barrel lengths and stocks.

I understand that they aren't for every one and I can definitely appreciate a nice classical styled rifle as well.

5. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i have shot a couple AR-AK-SKS and enjoyed shooting them. wouldnt be against having one if one somehow appeaerd in the safe. i have a mini 14 in a syn camo stock, that works for me.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I like my Daewoo AR-100 and my SU-16 with their folding stocks.

My only dislike of AR-15 pattern rifles are the buffer tubes, fantastic clean sheet design otherwise.

7. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

I think you could find a heck of a lot of fine young men who were about 19yrs old in 1966 who were not a fan of them!?..........

ORHunter79 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I greatly prefer the FAL. However, I don't like the added cost of feeding it.

9. billstaf

billstaf Portland, Oregon Active Member

beavernation,

You are right about a lot of young guys in 1966 not exactly being in love with their M-16s. The one I carried in 1968 was a genuine POS.

However, the original platform has changed a lot in the last 40 years. These days the AR-15/M-16/M-4 rifle is a superior weapon under almost any circumstances. Still finicky about dirt, but much, much better than the jam-o-matics we had back in the late 60's RVN.

Lots of people would rather have the AK platform. I think the AK is one of the most copied rifles the world has ever seen. AKs certainly react much better to bad or no maintenance than the ARs do.

I know a few guys who love their Ruger Mini 14s. I used to have one too. Great rifle. Should have kept it. I'm sticking with my AR-15 for now though.

10. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

The only one I ever really liked was my 'real' 1978 Colt AR-15 Sporter. You know solid stock, tri forestock, carry handle and no forward assist.

11. badclam

badclam willapa bay Sunny SW WA Active Member

I'm an AK fan and don't have any .223 platform's. Now I do make exception's for some of the .308 platform AR's. I just don't like the tiny 55 grain projectile's of the AR 15 class of rifles.
    I really like my .308 AK's and .308 bolt action's.
    I now the reasoning for AR15's is often longer range accuracy,but an AK fits right between my pistol and my box fed bolt action Model 700 .308.

12. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

I do not like ARs, 5.56mm/.223, or direct impingement gas systems. That being said, I will probably build an AR one day just because it is our standard-issue infantry rifle, and to have something around that shoots 5.56mm. They are also not bad for training novice shooters once you have them checked out on .22s.

13. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

I did the same thing in 2001 and I have no regrets... because I think everyone should own a
    rifle that fires 5.56mm I did buy another AR about a year ago, I purchased a Daewoo AR-100:)

14. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I love my Garand, and next home defense rifle will be a Henry lever .44 mag. I just don't see the need for a poodle shooter.

15. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

I had an AR I sold to help finance an engagement ring, but in truth I was pretty bored with it. It was tedious to clean, and I also found the report to be obnoxious.

A big part of the AR legend is the interchangeability of parts and accessories, the tinkering, and so forth. I'm just not into expensive optics, gadgets and all that. Too each their own.

I like stock rifles with iron sights - squeezing the most performance out of a gun given its inherent design limitations. Jack White has a similar philosophy about playing the guitar. I like to shoot anything with iron sights; old lever actions, 22's, etc.

I kept my AK & SKS. They are simple, inexpensive, and I've learned to shoot them well. $5 a box for ammo isn't bad either.

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Thats a great statement kind of sums it up.

17. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

That was not so much because of the weapons design but with the Government cutting cost and not chrome lining the bores and not sending cleaning kits and provided dirty burning ammo for a rifle that was sensitive to fouling :nuts: . They basically sent those boys to their grave.

18. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Not a huge AR fan, was, thought they were pretty cool for a lot of years. Now it's just another popgun, I'll leave them for the video game crowd. Underpowered and limited by it's design, more into bolt guns now.

19. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

I agree, they feel like toys.

To reiterate, I had an AR for many years. Not everyone evolves to become an accuracy nut. If the shot's in the ring, the bad guy is dead, that's how I see it.

20. eldbillbo

Well unless your a soldier , cop or bad guy your usually shooting paper not people