JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe everyone profiles to one extent or another. I DO! I don't know how someone couldn't and be aware of their surroundings or concern for their family's safety in public environment without profiling some (risk assessment maybe a PC term?) .... I Have a comfort zone and certain situations have pushed me out of it because of observations. I don't think this makes me a racist or in the more "holy than thou" category. I kinda don't care if it does.

A note to both sides of the isle....

Keep your heads up fellas.

Walk into same shop Monday the 28th.

I'm standing there, this young 20's something kid walks in wearing some RealTree based sweatshirt. I start listening to him talk.

He starts talking about how he is a felon and as soon as his probation is over he is going to petition the court to have his rights reinstated. Then goes to say how he is wanting to get ideas for when that happens on what he can get for his girlfriend. He continues to babble on in a nervous way like he is trying to scheme and plan something he shouldn't. He was babbling about how when he gets done he will have HIS guns under the bed on HIS side and how he will blah blah blah....

I found it odd. Really odd. Once again his voice inflections and the way he was carrying himself just wasn't like everyone else in the store.

As I'm leaving the store I look down the sidewalk and I see him pacing while talking on the phone. Yet another really bizarre situation.

Like he went in there to look for what he wanted, then call his straw buyer so they could come buy it for him.

[sarcasm]
But I only profile people who don't speak English or speak another language so this guy was totally legit. [/sarcasm]

You've got your receiver turned WAY too high, dude. Stop worrying about what other people are doing. You sound like me when I was 21 and thought gunfights were imminent and just around every corner.

Walk into same shop Monday the 28th.

He starts talking about how he is a felon and as soon as his probation is over he is going to petition the court to have his rights reinstated. Then goes to say how he is wanting to get ideas for when that happens on what he can get for his girlfriend. He continues to babble on in a nervous way like he is trying to scheme and plan something he shouldn't. He was babbling about how when he gets done he will have HIS guns under the bed on HIS side and how he will blah blah blah....

This is called the "story." Criminals have a story for everything. They feel the need to tell everyone and any one the "story", especially the other cons. They come in to do community service at the store I do loss prevention at. They start giving the manager the "story" . She shuts the "story" down right away.
Every story contains several elements:

1. The cops f@@@ed me over.
2. I did not do it.
3. When I get done with my time, my attorney is going to get the conviction vacated.
4. I do not know what paper work you are talking about.
5. You will not take me because I am a sex offender ?? That is bullshot.
6. I can't stand around and text and jive with the other criminals ??

Like he went in there to look for what he wanted, then call his straw buyer so they could come buy it for him.

Standing in line at a gun show several years ago, I may have been buying a gun or may not, this white trash (oh no, profiling, my bad) sow was filling out the background paperwork doing a strawman purchase for her felonious looking boy friend, ( damn it, profiling again) on an AR. She sat there asking him all the questions she had to fill out, while the clerk stood there with the usual pained look on his face. She finally finished and got her AR, and walked out of there like she was carrying a carton of eggs.

Dude I was in line with was a local LEO buying an AR, and we both just kind of rolled our eyes at them. In the crowd I saw the 2 usual scuzzy looking dudes who wear the same garb to every show with their ATF badges under their shirts. They followed the cretin and his woman out the door, probably just waiting for him to touch the gun. He never even got close I suspect to touching it. They did come back and pull the background paperwork on her however.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]All jib-jab aside, the OP had a gut feeling about something appearing "off" or "wrong" in the presented situation and he did something about it without over-reacting; his actions did not hurt nor hinder the buyers.

It's people who take note of their gut feeling and speak up that prevent crimes. EG: you see a fellow shambling around a store parking lot from this car to that car, you think to yourself "huh, that's kinda strange..." But you go about your business without saying anything to anyone and later some poor bastard finds his car broken into while he was at the store. On the other hand, you see the described above, walk into the store and mention the weirdo to an employee. He either goes out there and creates an uncomfortable environment for the would-be thief to break into a car or calls the police, they arrive and do the same (assuming the employee actually gives a damn in the first place). As the saying goes, no harm no foul.

With that said, since we are profiling people, let's remember the majority of type of people who have committed mass shootings in the U.S. of A. (with or without AR rifles) in the last 20 years... White, American. Pretty difficult to profile one of those in the gun shop; but I digress. [/COLOR]

I believe everyone profiles to one extent or another. I DO! I don't know how someone couldn't and be aware of their surroundings or concern for their family's safety in public environment without profiling some (risk assessment maybe a PC term?) .... I Have a comfort zone and certain situations have pushed me out of it because of observations. I don't think this makes me a racist or in the more "holy than thou" category. I kinda don't care if it does.

A note to both sides of the isle....

Keep your heads up fellas.
You and I are profiled every time we come in contact with another human being.And most cats and dogs.
We also profile everyone we come in contact with.
Even those who say it shouldn't be profile everyone they contact
It can't be helped.It's part of our self preservation system.
But for most it's like the poodle.Once a grand hunting breed just to be bastardized into a stupid lap dog. As we have made new breeds and taken away a lot of their traits,we have changed the K9
We have done the same.Someone told me that the human sense of smell wasn't that far off from the K9.We just started using other senses to make up for it.
We don't use a lot of what we were given ,or need, to to survive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top