JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the second time in about a week I've gone to the United States Post Office off of TV Hwy and 185th. And there is absolutely no signage pertaining to the prohibition of weapons (Firearms or Otherwise) IIRC, I thought it used to be pretty prevalent. So did something change (HA Right), or the more likely scenario that my post office is to cheap to procure signs.

Same out here in Boring P.O there was signage years ago, now gone. I did see a notice posted on the public bulletin board inside that prohibited weapons on the premises, right next to the wanted pictures.

Federal laws are federal laws, and they say it's illegal to carry in Federal offices. If you want to dispute it in court, go ahead and be the test case. Maybe the ACLU will back you up!:s0114:

The Constitution does not explicitly preempt additional carry restrictions, whether or not you personally approve of what the Courts have decided.

I'm not a smorgasbord citizen; I obey the laws as written without picking and choosing the ones I like.

The PO has no obligation to notify you of legal carry prohibitions.

I really have no intention of carrying in a Post Office any time soon... Private Property prohibitions I will ignore... Federal Code I will not... Even if I dont agree with it.

Was looking into mailing firearms and found this the other day:
Question about concealed carry in a Post Office | Robert Louis Williamson’s Weblog

Tricky wording "prohibited" but not getting around to the "exception" that actually allows you to carry in the Post Office as long as you are conducting "lawful" business (ie; mailing a letter).

I tried to insert the link to the page, if it doesn't work, try copy and paste I guess.

Federal laws are federal laws, and they say it's illegal to carry in Federal offices. If you want to dispute it in court, go ahead and be the test case. Maybe the ACLU will back you up!:s0114:
Yup, I think they would: heck if I had to face those circumstances, I think the more allies the better. For certain, there've been tons of times the NRA/NRA-ILA and the ACLU haven't worked together when they should've, but here are at least a few when they did.
(1st two same case in Texas)
from NYT 4/5/07
Unusual Allies in a legal battle over Texas drivers' gun rights
from "Police Policy Studies Council", 4/8/07
NRA and ACLU Hook Up, Challenge TX Gun Charges - PPSC Forums
...and from the Examiner, 7/25/2010 an interesting point of view
<broken link removed>
"ACLU lawsuit gets widower his guns back" July 21, 2010
ACLU lawsuit gets widower his guns back | cleveland.com
From the NRA-ILA site, July 14, 2008
"Nevada ACLU backs gun owners rights"
<broken link removed>
...and an oldie but a goodie from 1985
NRA and ACLU Join in Fight to Keep Some Names Out of FBI's Computer - Los Angeles Times
there're more too...

as the much-despised forum cliché goes: just sayin.
And I don't plan on being a test case :s0114:

The Constitution does not explicitly preempt additional carry restrictions, whether or not you personally approve of what the Courts have decided.
I was commenting on the fact that we are not even trusted, as law abiding citizens who passed a back ground check X2, to lock our firearms in our vehicles when visiting the Post Office. Nothing to do with carrying it inside.
I trust the people who make these ridiculous laws about the same amount as it appears that they trust me.

I was commenting on the fact that we are not even trusted, as law abiding citizens who passed a back ground check X2, to lock our firearms in our vehicles when visiting the Post Office. Nothing to do with carrying it inside.
I trust the people who make these ridiculous laws about the same amount as it appears that they trust me.

How would someone know you have it in your car? Really, the only time this would come up is if you have some reason to come into police contact. I don't personally go to the post office but I would probably live by the rules if I did. I could see my luck, I'm in the parking lot and someone hits me with their car and I get injured. The police come and I go to jail! :s0112:

How would someone know you have it in your car? Really, the only time this would come up is if you have some reason to come into police contact. I don't personally go to the post office but I would probably live by the rules if I did. I could see my luck, I'm in the parking lot and someone hits me with their car and I get injured. The police come and I go to jail! :s0112:
I hear ya:s0155:

Didnt the USPS become a private enterprise sometime ago? Making them no longer "federal land" etc?

I know the post offices in my area posted along with the DMVs signage stating the ORS code (dont recall off the top of my head) that weapons are prohibited.. Stated in that code was the exemption for CHL holders... And around and around it goes... :s0131:

Funny story, at least to me. I have lunch with a co-worker from time to time. She is an anti but knows i carry. The conversation goes like this.

Me. Hey ------, you have any plans for lunch?
Her. No, what are you thinking?
Me. Mexican food joint up the street. Same time?
Her. Cool, but i need to run to the PO first. I'll call you when i get back.
Me. To save time i could run you by the PO and we can grab lunch after?
Her. Sounds good but I don't want to get you in trouble.
Me. Trouble? What trouble ------?
Her. You know!
me. Know what?
Her. (She whispers) Your gun?

I just cracked up! After i stopped laughing i told her i would keep it legal. She was happy and lunch went off without a hitch.

BTW, I did not go in to the PO with her or park on there property. I don't want to be the test case.

Hope you guys and gals have a great new year! Be safe!

Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top