JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And while it is more time consuming than handgun ammo.. it's not that bad except when I tumble the cases all my media gets stuck in them and I have to dig it out with a dental pick :huh: Takes longer to get it all out than it does to deprime, trim, and prime :rolleyes:

Is my media too large or is there some other issue? Never had this problem with pistol cases from 9mm, .38 special, 10mm, or .45acp.

Zilla walnut lizard litter from PetSmart works great for tumbleing and only cost about $13 for 10lbs. You may want to put some small pieces of a drier sheet in your tumbler when using this stuff it helps to keep the dust to a minimum.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752164
Here a some other guys using the Lizard litter with some other good Ideas.
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=395974&highlight=tumbling+media

I have heard some guys use blastin media from Grainger with great sucsess, I have not tried this myself.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww..._type=keyword&action=Go!&QueryString=corn+cob

i have a seperator that fits on a 5 gal bucket just dump brass media and all into it and tumble them a few turns and that gets most of it out I never de prime until after tumbling(got tired of cleaning the primer pockets) OH and welcome to the pinched fingers club

I thought about taking my current media and running it through a blender(before using it with cases of course). The stuff I'm using is awesome.. cleans the cases and has zero dust. It just irritates me to have to use a dental pick to get all the media out of the cases.

Good idea on the dryer sheet thing. The dust is always a pain and when it gets too bad I know it's time to change the media.

+1 on the tumble BEFORE deprime. :s0155:

If you use the dryer sheets,make sure they have already been used in the dryer.
Then cut them into smaller pc,i get 8-10 out of each sheet and use 2 pieces in each tumbler.

+1 on the Zilla from Petco and the dryer sheets. Also avoid the use of any liquid polish in the media when tumbling small neck cases as it can cause clumping and lead to the problem you are having.

What brand of press are you using and is it progressive? I'm just ramping up to reloading 223 also. I posted another thread with tons of questions.:s0131: Just noticed this is an old thread. Oh well.

Last Edited:
Old threads never die...

Unless a mod decides that they no likey the content no mo. :D

As for what press I am using it's an old Lyman T-Mag turret press. The only problems I have EVER had with it have been the learning curve struggles I've been going through with my first batch of rifle reloads. All of my past reloading involved several thousand rounds of 9mm and 45ACP... and then recently some 40S&W.

But this first attempt at dealing with .204 Ruger has been a ROYAL pain in the rear end. The necked cases have been REAL picky with case lube... I've had WAY too many problems with stuck cases.

And this is with a TURRET press... I can only imagine what it would be like with a progressive!!

Good luck with your adventure, it can be a very rewarding experiece once you get all the ducks in a row and quacking the same tune! :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top