So I just started reloading .223

Reactions
And while it is more time consuming than handgun ammo.. it's not that bad except when I tumble the cases all my media gets stuck in them and I have to dig it out with a dental pick :huh: Takes longer to get it all out than it does to deprime, trim, and prime :rolleyes:

Is my media too large or is there some other issue? Never had this problem with pistol cases from 9mm, .38 special, 10mm, or .45acp.

Reactions
Zilla walnut lizard litter from PetSmart works great for tumbleing and only cost about $13 for 10lbs. You may want to put some small pieces of a drier sheet in your tumbler when using this stuff it helps to keep the dust to a minimum.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752164
Here a some other guys using the Lizard litter with some other good Ideas.
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=395974&highlight=tumbling+media

I have heard some guys use blastin media from Grainger with great sucsess, I have not tried this myself.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww..._type=keyword&action=Go!&QueryString=corn+cob

OP
J
Reactions
I thought about taking my current media and running it through a blender(before using it with cases of course). The stuff I'm using is awesome.. cleans the cases and has zero dust. It just irritates me to have to use a dental pick to get all the media out of the cases.

RVTECH

Reactions
+1 on the Zilla from Petco and the dryer sheets. Also avoid the use of any liquid polish in the media when tumbling small neck cases as it can cause clumping and lead to the problem you are having.

Reactions
What brand of press are you using and is it progressive? I'm just ramping up to reloading 223 also. I posted another thread with tons of questions.:s0131: Just noticed this is an old thread. Oh well.

Last edited:

ZeroRing

Reactions
Old threads never die...

Unless a mod decides that they no likey the content no mo. :D

As for what press I am using it's an old Lyman T-Mag turret press. The only problems I have EVER had with it have been the learning curve struggles I've been going through with my first batch of rifle reloads. All of my past reloading involved several thousand rounds of 9mm and 45ACP... and then recently some 40S&W.

But this first attempt at dealing with .204 Ruger has been a ROYAL pain in the rear end. The necked cases have been REAL picky with case lube... I've had WAY too many problems with stuck cases.

And this is with a TURRET press... I can only imagine what it would be like with a progressive!!

Good luck with your adventure, it can be a very rewarding experiece once you get all the ducks in a row and quacking the same tune! :D

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom