JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says, I just got a dash cam. (Cobra 840 HD). I'd recommend the Cobra 840 HD to anyone looking at a dash cam (approx. 120$, amazon). I'd always wanted to get one, but didn't want to get some crappy korean dash cam for 20$ with bad quality image capture / features.
What I just realized, is why don't the police need to notify us that we're being audio recorded?
I'm assuming I need to notify that I'm audio recording in the event that I'm pulled over.
But why don't the police need to provide notification ?

As the title says, I just got a dash cam. (Cobra 840 HD). I'd recommend the Cobra 840 HD to anyone looking at a dash cam (approx. 120$, amazon). I'd always wanted to get one, but didn't want to get some crappy korean dash cam for 20$ with bad quality image capture / features.
What I just realized, is why don't the police need to notify us that we're being audio recorded?
I'm assuming I need to notify that I'm audio recording in the event that I'm pulled over.
But why don't the police need to provide notification ?

I'm not a lawyer. I would suggest however that the expectation of privacy in public doesn't exist.

In public places and events, public roads etc. I do not believe there is any stipulation that you must inform someone of your video taping. The police are expected to have some sort of recording device either in the vehicle or on their person to record stops and incidents. They are not required in most states to inform you of the conversation being filmed or audio recorded.

Transversely, and certainly in public areas and in public situations you have every right to record the Police as well with no expectation of prior admission.

I'm thinking of installing one that includes the backup camera.
My work van is tough enough to navigate around the city without the clueless knuckle heads walking behind me plugged into their Iphones and not looking where they're going.

Last Edited:
I want to get one myself. Just the other day while stopped at the light by the Marine drive exit onto I5, I watched two tractor trailer drivers hop out of their rigs and proceed to beat the tar out of each other, they traded fists for at least a minute and a half before my light turned. I could have had that all on tape. :(

I've had front and rear HD cameras that feed a DVR installed for about a year now. Auto accident liability protection for the most part. People tend to become blatant liars whenever auto insurance is involved.
I download all the footage about 2 times a month and just browse through it before deleting it.

Image quality and sound are surprisingly good. Got some great snow wheeling video.
I set it to come on automatically whenever someone comes within 8 feet of either camera when I have to leave the Jeep outside. IR LED lights are virtually invisible, footage is green but still clear.

As for telling a LEO I'm recording if I did happen to get pulled over. NO WAY!
I won't lie if they ask but I rule #1 is always keep your damn trap shut. Yes/no. Don't extrapolate.

You wouldn't blurt out "I have a gun!" if you got pulled over.
If they ask if you have any firearms in the vehicles you calmly respond. Yes, sir.
They will then ask if you have a valid WA state concealed carry permit. Yes, sir.

Rambling on and giving information they didn't ask for is just going to get you in trouble.

Yep, have a dash cam wired up as well, just ordered another for the rear glass. In this day and age, especially if you are driving an expensive car or even any newer model car, there are people out there looking to get an insurance payout.

Just a couple nights ago, I was heading south down airport way in s seattle, and this person was driving northbound in my lane! I had to go to the other lane to avoid the guy, and I'm glad I had my cam just in case anything happened.

I also have mine wired up to be on all the time, so if I'm parked and someone hits the car and runs, I'll be able to get a plate number, or at least prove to the insurance company that I didn't hit it myself. I just unplug it when I'm parked in the garage.

PS. That's why all the Russian dash cam video, they actually drive like that over there!

How much power do these take?
If you leave it on all the time how much drain does it have on the car battery?

Do they have a hardrive it records to or is it a memory disc?

It's a negligible amount of power, I've accidentally left mine on overnight several times, and had not issues. It probably draws like 1.5a from a 5v source.

Mine like most run on a microSD card, and the software keeps rewriting over the beginning when it runs out, so you never have to mess with it unless something happens. I have a 16gb card in mine, and that gets about 4hrs worth of video; but my car is never left alone more than that. 32gb or 64gb is a must if your car is parked out of sight during the day.

This is something I've been strongly considering.

Having a front & rear camera, that can be left on while shopping/etc., auto turn on , these sound great.

Anyone have a GOOD link to a GOOD site to buy/and/or learn about these.

That'd be GREAT for everyone!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Here's my setup, I went budget, as I was also worried about having them stolen. This is my cam setup:

E-PRANCE® 1080P Car DVR Camera Recorder GS608 with 1.5 Inch TFT Screen + 120 Degree Wide Angle + G-sensor + Loop Recorder + Motion Detection Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYWEH2C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDO Tech® Direct Mini USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7MPQ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cam is a copy of the popular 0801 model which costs about $80-90, this one is only $35, and I don't see much of a difference in video quality.

The hardwire kit I used to wire it into the map light unit above in my Nissan Leaf, and I could tap either the garage door opener or the map light. I tapped the map light for 24/7 power, but you can tap the opener to have it turn on only when the ignition's on. Every vehicle will be different, but I was able to run the wire up the stalk of the rear view mirror to hide most of the wiring. In person, it's very small and discreet.

Here is mine mounted:

The cam takes decent quality video, but distance is limited at night.

Here are a couple samples off youtube (I'm lazy to take my sd card out and format it). These vids are close in quality to my own cam when viewed on my computer.

Daytime:

Night Time:

There are obviously much better dash cams out there, if I had the budget, I would use GoPro hero 4 front and back just so you can see everything in 4k lol. But for under $100 I can have two of these budget cams wired up and be watching all the time, it's cheap insurance!

Forum just for dash cams: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

IMG_2174_zps7c3d1f5d.jpg IMG_2173_zps910f6d97.jpg

Nissan Leaf???????

U one a' them green Wackos?

:s0111::s0112::s0112::s0111:

I drive a GMC Sierra, @ 16.5 mpg average..............if I'd stay on the HWy, I'd get a whopping 18.5-20MPG

Next vehicle will be a Prius/Leaf type.

Thanks for that GREAT info. :s0139:

Yep, not a tree hugger per se, but I love that my Leaf it costs me $30/mo in electricity to drive it 1k miles/mo ;). That's with a $199/mo payment with zero down on the lease :).

The best part is, the Leaf comes with CarWings, Nissan's app for your smartphone. I can run the A/C or heat, and keep my dogs cool/warm if I'm going in for lunch, etc. Back then, in the summer, I couldn't take the dogs with me anywhere dogs weren't allowed because I didn't want to leave them in the hot car. Now the pups can stay cool, even if it's 90 outside in the heat.

I'm a truck guy also, have an old F150 supercrew that can barely break 12mpg's for when I need to use the bed.

I would say have an older truck to haul stuff, and a nice eco friendly car for commuting, especially if it's a one person commute. The Leaf does have limitations, mainly the 80 mile range, but the next gen cars will be 150-200mile range, and that's a game changer for a daily driven car.

Let me know how it goes with the dash cam!

In Oregon law enforcement has to tell you when they are recording you. I just go about my life expecting everyone to be recording everything with their I-Phones to people with dash cams as it would now appear. I personally have better things to do with my life than record other people.

In this day and age with technology I don't think anyone can expect any privacy or expect anyone to respect their privacy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads