JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I recently got an old Colt Agent .38 Special snubby revolver in trade from bow503, and it has quickly become one of my every day carry guns. . . I know, I know, the parkerized Agent is about the ugliest revolver ever to wear a Colt medallion, but for me that is part of the charm -- is it was as pretty as a Cobra, I'd hesitate to toss it into my shoulder bag or in my shoulder holster. . . and, I love the trigger -- so smooth :s0155: Plus at 15 oz, it is a light as a J frame airweight, but is a real six gun. . .

But, the big old triangular square-butt stocks didn't fit my hands well. . . and I didn't like the Hogue Monogrips much either. . . So, I took an old beat up set of checkered walnut Detective Special stocks, reshaped them with a razor, and sanded them down. Specifically, I removed the checkering, shaved down and rounded the outer corner of the butt by a good 3/8", and added a pinky notch (kind of like the old Pachmayr grips). I sanded them smooth, but not glass smooth, and finished them with a light oil finish because I wanted to retain a little texture for better grip.

The result is even slimmer than stock, prints less, and more importantly fits my hand and points much much better. What do y'all think of my amateur work?

Last Edited:
O snap! That is beautiful! Glad you like it. The derringer we traded it a great piece. And you are right. Pocket carry is the only way to go. And recoil is not nearly as bad as I would have expected. And it is a handsome piece as well. Happy shooting fire!

What do I think? I think it looks like a clumsy/uncomfortable grip. However, there isn't much room to work with unless you were to modify the grip frame itself.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and if you like what you did to your gun, that's all that matters.

As far as carrying a 38 Special snubbie, absolutely! You have a fine gun there.

ps. I can rarely get my hands as clean as you do! I know these guys are just teasing you about that, but it's not hard to tell a man that "works" for a living.

honestly I've been keeping my eye open for a S&W model 10 round butt with a 2" barrel, nothing wrong with a 38 at all. You can leave it loaded until the bullets turn green and it will probably work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top