JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not reloaded in 25 years and really for the shooting I do buying cheap bulk ammo has been just fine... Until yesterday.

I bought a Barrett M82a1 semi auto .50. I bought a few hundred rounds of cheap factory ammo at about $3.30/rd and its the last time I want to do that.

So I am starting from scratch, I don't need anything fancy but I'll have to buy everything I need to get rolling.

Some help getting me lined out? I would rather buy the best and buy it once but I also don't need to spend money just to spend money if that makes sense. I don't need a progressive that I can see, The .50 and maybe at some point some 6.5 CM and .308 are the only things I would load for and none of them would need to be high production.

Well you no doubt will be getting a lot if follow ups but based on what your needs are I can't imagine you needing anything more than a Rockchucker or other equivalent high quality (non-alloy) press. Take a look at the Forster Co-Ax - I really like mine.

Congrat's. I wait till Black Friday to buy ammo as you can find American Eagle 660 grain for $2.00 per round with normally free shipping if you order is large enough.

Congrat's. I wait till Black Friday to buy ammo as you can find American Eagle 660 grain for $2.00 per round with normally free shipping if you order is large enough.

Well, I would certainly buy a few hundred rounds @$2 but I still want to load for the thing. :D

Brave soul.

From what I remember when I looked into it, you will have to start from scratch with most of your reloading gear - including an expensive press and of course, dies.

If you are patient and shop around, you can pickup plain ball ammo for $3 or less. If you want to get into high precision long range shooting and $5 per round is too much, then reloading can be the way to go, but the projectiles alone will cost as much as ball ammo does.

Brave soul.

From what I remember when I looked into it, you will have to start from scratch with most of your reloading gear - including an expensive press and of course, dies.

If you are patient and shop around, you can pickup plain ball ammo for $3 or less. If you want to get into high precision long range shooting and $5 per round is too much, then reloading can be the way to go, but the projectiles alone will cost as much as ball ammo does.

What I bought is not really a "precision" rifle. The 20" barrel M82a1 I think is more of a hard hitting play thing for 500-800 yard shots. If I wanted to shoot at 1500 yards probably far better choices.

As far as "fun" goes though I think it was the right choice.

What I bought is not really a "precision" rifle. The 20" barrel M82a1 I think is more of a hard hitting play thing for 500-800 yard shots. If I wanted to shoot at 1500 yards probably far better choices.

As far as "fun" goes though I think it was the right choice.

Yeah - the Barretts I have been around (didn't shoot them, but others were) were more anti-materiel rifles than long distance precision rifles - a Scud missile or MIG jet being easier to hit at a mile than a person or bullseye target.

upload_2017-10-25_7-10-6.jpeg

There is a specific BMG press due to length of the cartridge. My buddy just started collecting reloading gear for it.

Keep an eye on americanreloading.com as well for components. The sometimes have some great deals on tarnished projectiles that can be cleaned up easily.

I would be surprised if the Forster co-ax would not take care of all your loading needs. It's large, and also precision.

Redding dies are usually good to go.

I don't envy you. My 338 is not cheap to shoot. I think the 50 BMG is even more expensive.

You are brave. More brave than me. I shot a Barret Light 50 SA at a machine gun shoot years ago before they banned the big guns because they could and did shoot over the mountain. Ten rounds was enough thank you. My shoulder was sore for days.

<broken link removed>

www.sgammo.com

I have owned two other fifty's Neither really was much of an issue to shoot (both single shot bolt action rifles) Unless this is something else entirely (which it could be, I have never fired a Barrett) I am not too concerned.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top