JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have been compiling a SHTF handbook and was wondering if anyone could recommend cheap/free manuals or sources for information that I could compile. I think that it would be cool to have an ongoing source thread for information.

Eagle

Honestly... the thing I would recommend Most... Pocket Ref: Thomas J. Glover: 9781885071002: Amazon.com: Books

The "pocket reference" is an absolutely amazing book, it covers everything from mechanical formulas, chemistry information, etc etc. Between this and a solar powered scientific calculator, the only thing keeping you from single handedly restoring western civilization is your feeble human lifespan.

Professional books really make a mockery of the hodge-podge misinformation, disinformation, and lack of information that many of the "prepper" blog sites waste your time with, I really don't consider them even informed sources of anything, as it's usually some wad fantasizing about how great it will be to have a square foot garden, while carrying a rifle with you everywhere.

One thing I do recommend very highly is trying stuff... come up with a plan, test it, evaluate it, make alterations, and then do it again. Keeping logs in your notebook will help you greatly, because frankly it's the little things that make life miserable. One thing that took me a while to learn is always bring flystrips, lots and lots of flystrips. No matter where you are, or where you go, flies will always make life miserable. If you're near other people who don't know what they're doing they will spread disease, when it's hot they will try to drink water from your eyes and give you eye infections, when you have wounds they will try to lay eggs in there.

Other things I'd recommend learning and trying out:
Camping near water usually means lots of mosquitos (especially when it's hot out)
Life sucks when you don't have enough tarps and it's raining
Crapping in a bucket isn't as easy as it sounds
Managing garbage is harder than it looks
No matter how much firewood you think you have, some jerk in your camp will always manage to burn it all hours before dawn.
Dutch oven cooking requires practice, and a dutch oven.
You can cook food on rocks heated by the fire, however you may never be able to eat the food (usually gets stuck to the rock)
There's always a contingent of people who thought someone else was bringing paper plates, and if someone did you will inevitably run out of paper plates.
Corrolary to the above: that same person will bring a large amount of chilli, and want to use your dutch oven to cook it in. (do not let this happen)
Everyone always forgets spatulas
Spaghetti seems like a great idea, until you need to clean up the mess the next day (same applies to chilli)

Go through enough iterations like this, and you will eventually build up a pretty solid camping/shtf/bugout plan. One of the most important things no matter what is learn how to cook, usually with only a few ingredients and make it taste good, once you get that down the rest is easy. Corrolary: bisquick is not one ingredient.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top