JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got,as in, "bought"..I DO speak English..

As I was told,it's a Spencer "Buffalo" rifle..anyone know about them?

I know the history of the Spencer,just not the "Buffalo" part.Obviously it's a hunting conversion,but I need to know more about the conversion.
I am going to sell this thing,so any ideas about value would help too.

It's marked "Spencer repeating rifle co,Boston,Mass ,Pat'd March 6,1860"
The number on the left rear of the receiver is "754". The barrel is also marked "754" under the foregrip.
When the lever is down,there are 3 stamps on the right side,all are "472".

The barrel is octagon,no stampings or caliber marking.Good,deep rifling but has some surface rust.(I'm going to give the whole thing a good cleaning)

Barrel has a provision for a cleaning rod.Has a dovetail at the rear of barrel which looks to have been for a sight.The previous owner says it had a scope.

Receiver has 2 threaded holes at top rear.I assume for a flip up sight,similar to a Marbles or something.

Wood is in decent shape,the buttstock seems to be customized.

Front band has some initials or rudimentary graffiti,and looks to be made of soft metal,possibly lead?

Magazine tube and internals are all there.

Rifle seems to function well,and I'm guessing it'll clean up real purty.

Thoughts,opinions,or offers are truly appreciated!

DSCF6981.JPG

DSCF6982.JPG

DSCF6983.JPG

DSCF6984.JPG

DSCF6988.JPG

DSCF6987.JPG

Last Edited:
It looks like a factory conversion done by Spencer, as I don't see a gunsmith stamping. Spencer made a sporting rifle for buffalo hunters heading west, as no rifle was readily available. The rifle lost favor, as Sharps and Remington produced rifles specifically for buffalo hunters
H. Shroeder, Bachner Bros and J. Harder & Son were just few of the notable gunsmiths to do this conversion for those heading west. These examples get a good price at auction, Spencer factory conversion does too, just not as much. Again condition is everything

You don't say where you are? Not in PDX anyway. My best suggestion would be to find a show with the OAC (Oregon Arms Collectors). There will be people there that will collect these specific old rifles. If you'd like I could call an old timer I've dealt with that may be able to get me a name. I would say don't just go into you're local gun shop and put it on consignment, just yet. I did that with a couple 19th century rifles, and after the fact feel I could have done better.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Thanks guys!
The factory conversion notion makes a lot of sense to me,as I found it weird that the receiver and barrel numbers matched,on a military rifle with an "aftermarket" barrel.

Whoa what a find! First off I realize it looks like it needs cleaning, but please do not do anything to this rare rifle! You take steel wool to that rifle and you can knock $1800 off of it in 10 minutes!

PM inbound

Sure would have neat to see your rifle STUKA.
Lots of gunsmiths on the American frontier made sporters from Spencer rifles , carbine and using the actions.
Gemmer , the last owner of the famed Hawken Shop made them in Denver during the 1860's and 70's
Andy

Uh,a very loud and very clear NO.
May I ask why you would make such an assumption?
I do not own a "black" rifle,at this time

^
?
WTF?
Anyway, I sold something I DIDN'T want,to someone who DID want it,in order to purchase things I wanted..Make sense?
FYI,M1 Garand,2 16th century Japanese swords,and a quantity of ammunition for my other NON BLACK firearms.
Is that OK,or?

^
?
WTF?
Anyway, I sold something I DIDN'T want,to someone who DID want it,in order to purchase things I wanted..Make sense?
FYI,M1 Garand,2 16th century Japanese swords,and a quantity of ammunition for my other NON BLACK firearms.
Is that OK,or?
Indeed. It was but a simple joke.
You did good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR