JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why is Penske better?

Most new Penske trucks are built on Navistar medium duty chassis with diesel engines. U Hauls newet cross country trucks are Ford gas trucks. Older u hauls are chevy gas. Navistar makes a better medium duty truck than either ford or chevy. U hauls are cheaper to rent though. And the deck is lower to the ground.

I drove over Siskiyou Pass every summer and winter during the quarter century I was based around San Diego. Usually with 4x4, some cars, a few rental trucks and once with a trailer. Had a couple dicey winter treks, but I-5 was normally pretty good.

Then the one time I needed to get from Portland to Memphis in January, I-84 was closed through the Columbia Gorge, forcing me to go the southern route via CA, AZ, NM, OK, etc. My advice would be to plan primary and alternate routes, get the 26-state UT CWP (really easy if you act now), research what actual laws currently apply in each state and let your own conscience be your guide as you roll through those jurisdictions.

During road trips I usually travel relatively light in the firearm dept. I'll bring my usual carry, and keep pepper spray and other improvised weapons for states that require my carry be compromised and stored differently.

Much more important to me is survival gear... I feel like this is inline with the odds. Water, nutrition, extra clothes, water purification. Radio, signal mirror, compass. Shovel, basic tools, wire. Always some cordage. Sometimes a shelter, but my wife and I have played with improvising shelter ... she's good at it thanks to being in an awesome Girl Scout troop. They can be labor intensive (snow caves especially) but will get the job done.

Getting stranded in the mountains is usually my biggest concern in winter. If the situation declines to the extent that rule of law is nonexistent, carrying regardless of the local laws would obviously come into play.

Edit: Also....know your cargo

While probably mundane, this could be the most important thing.

Next I'd say the weather could cause an issue. The last time I drove across the country it was to deliver a Ford station wagon from here to Indiana. Did it with my dad in January between two blizzards. Make sure you take sleeping bags, food and water. Be prepared for a couple a days and you should have nothing to worry about.

If, for some reason, I was really concerned, I'd take my shotgun. Most likely I'd take a handgun, a couple of mags and a box of ammo.
Keep the gun close.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top