JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First thing I did was go check out the route and what would be covered by my Oregon Permit. Looks as if I can drive in the most common straight line (Hwy 80 and 84) except for Wyoming and carry concealed. For Wyoming I have to carry open (but cab be loaded) in the vehicle And I can carry open when not in a Vehicle.

As Wyoming honors the Utah Permit and I have time to get one before the trip I might just do that.

SO now the big question is what do I pack? I'm thinking the wifes Astra A-90 18+1 9mm DA SA with a couple/three spare mags and my Charter Arms Undercover .38spl +P with 4) speed loaders.

Trip will be in January so concealment will not be a problem thanks to big coat or vest.

1880 miles I'm good for about 800 a day (I drive dump truck for a living so 10-12 hours of driving is nothing for me) Course in a Med Sized U haul who knows what I can make or what the POS will hold up to LOL. I made far SE AZ in two days a shade over 1600 miles a couple years back in My Dakota Pickup. Be interesting if I have to convoy with the Niece her husband and little one. That would seriously screw with my idea of a cross country hi ball express.

Last Edited:
I did 2400miles in 3 days with a 11yro dog and a 12 week old puppy....pulling the biggest UHaul they offer.....gas mileage was on the top end 12mpg......a few mtn passes slowed me down a bit to cool down as I was prob (def.) over the weight limit, but what can ya do? I chose to have a pistol in the drivers side (fuel side), one on the opposite back passenger side, and an AR pistol in the back drivers side. All loaded and all accessible but not visible.....Mags were interchangeable.....this was also during ferguson....which I drove through at 4am (on purpose with some "options"). Depending on your comfort-ability.... "pack" everywhere when not in your vehicle (winter/coat always). ALWAYS lock your doors. If you convoy think about some cheep baofengs...good stuff depending on needs (use prior to and set up some stations using CHIRP and AARL for your specific route). Keep your head on a swivel, have good tools for repairs, good maps, always have back-ups (tools or plans), and God's speed.

Edit: Also....know your cargo

Last Edited:
I just did a multi state trip, carried in three southern states, all allowed carry by anyone without a permit OR honored all states permits. Try doing that down the West coast, lol....

For states you can't carry in, carry an improvised weapon instead, along with pepper spray.

When going to WY last year, I chose to get an AZ permit instead of UT. And my reason was 3-fold.

1) I already have WA (which is a benefit of the UT permit over AZ).

2) AZ provides NV, which UT does not.

3) AZ permit only requires the same class I took for OR, where UT requires a separate class.

You should be fine. I did so from Lexington, KY to Oregon.
It's a loooooong boring drive!
And some sketchy po dunk areas along the way.
Just be careful about your uhaul, stealing them is big business.

And if possible get a Penske truck instead of Uhaul. You will Thank youself immensely.

And make a detour through Jackson hole!

I think your biggest problem will be your route in January and not the CC stuff.
I've done that route in winter weather and if you don't have a decent vehicle and snow/ice driving experience you just might schitt your pants....bring extra pants.

Make sure you get a good truck from Uhaul and a good set of chains.
Also survival gear....food, water..etc etc... you know the drill.

If you see big rigs layin down, find shelter like an underpass and wait it out.
Not tryin to scare you but there are some stretches that can get very windy and you are drivin a sailboat.
Be aware of it.

Last Edited:
For sure!

That drive does get pretty scary.

That's why I suggested a Penske they have much better trucks. Long trips they tend to give you a newer truck.

+1 on survival, warm gear, water, food.
For at least a few days.

January in a U-Haul over the Mountains .... this is for the mrs, right?!

Well as a Dump truck driver who works in all weather depending on the need I'm not to worried and I doubt they will have enough stuff to fill much past a medium sized truck. I used to drive school buses to Ski trips so I got a lot of slip and slid experience.

As to the Route I'll be sticking to the big interstates I'll have my portable CB setup and I know how to drive its what I do for a living. I've driven commercially everything from 2 axle 30K dump trucks to 53' Chip trailers and 96' long hay semis. My daily work is a 105.500 lb dump truck and pup trailer Every where from the Freeway to building and maintaining Forest Service roads you guys use your SUV's on LOL. Been at it now for 21 years (plus all the farm stuff before that) I'll have a Go bag with me.

When I did it in winter, the worst stretch was I-80 through Wyoming.
You're on "hardpack" which is basically ice for miles and miles.
I was raised in snow country so it didn't phase me.

Just keep it straight, drive way ahead of yourself and don't touch the brakes.
Keep steering inputs to a minimum (read gradual).
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Last Edited:
First thing I did was go check out the route and what would be covered by my Oregon Permit. Looks as if I can drive in the most common straight line (Hwy 80 and 84) except for Wyoming and carry concealed. For Wyoming I have to carry open (but cab be loaded) in the vehicle And I can carry open when not in a Vehicle.

As Wyoming honors the Utah Permit and I have time to get one before the trip I might just do that.

SO now the big question is what do I pack? I'm thinking the wifes Astra A-90 18+1 9mm DA SA with a couple/three spare mags and my Charter Arms Undercover .38spl +P with 4) speed loaders.

Trip will be in January so concealment will not be a problem thanks to big coat or vest.

1880 miles I'm good for about 800 a day (I drive dump truck for a living so 10-12 hours of driving is nothing for me) Course in a Med Sized U haul who knows what I can make or what the POS will hold up to LOL. I made far SE AZ in two days a shade over 1600 miles a couple years back in My Dakota Pickup. Be interesting if I have to convoy with the Niece her husband and little one. That would seriously screw with my idea of a cross country hi ball express.
Kinda hard to run a high ball express when you are driving a van with a governor on it! Great trip but could kinda suck in January. Carry emergency supplies and she should too. 2-3 days worth

Actually, I am envious of someone being forced into such a trip. I know it would add a day, but the Southern route would be nice in the middle of winter.

Actually, I am envious of someone being forced into such a trip. I know it would add a day, but the Southern route would be nice in the middle of winter.
Thought about that but he routed it by where he could carry. The southern route would take him to Denver (yuk) to NMex, to AZ, and spend most of his time cruising CA. Pretty sure that isn't his route, but I do agree that the southern trip will be easier, but the northern would be prettier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top