JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I don't see any reason to falsify the census. There is a time and place to joke around. Filling out government paperwork is not the time to make jokes. Big brother already knows everything he wants to know about you. Messing around on your census would only bring negative attention to you. Fill it out honestly. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN OF THE USA!

Didnt falsify, simply stated how many lived at my house and thier "ethnicity"(American). Thats all they need to know right? How many "undocumented immigrants" are gonna be prosecuted for filling it out incorrectlly? My guess.....UM...none! I doubt thier gonna prosecute anybody anyway. And becides, if they already know everything about me, why should I fill this thing out in the first place?

For all the talk on here about "my rights" and "the Constitution says _____," I am kind of surprised that the Census, something explicitly mandated in that document, would be such an issue. The fact is that all of that data is readily available if someone wanted to take the time to look it up. The Census Bureau is gathering statistical not individual information. If they wanted an individual file on you, they would look it up, not take your word for it. They have done the same thing every ten years (regardless of what party is in power) since we adopted our Constitution. Only Glenn Beck, Michelle Bachman, and a few other wing-nuts have any issue with the Census. None of their issues are based in fact. I guarantee you that both of them will fill out the form accurately and correctly, secure in the knowledge that their privacy will be maintained so that none of their followers will find out that they are all talk.

Originally Posted by ZachS
Or how much data the government can buy/demand about you from Choicepoint or any of the other private aggregators out there? The answer to the second question is "an awful lot more than is on that census form."

You do realize that "The Government" cannot even access the census records?

The only people that can view the records is the Census Bureau, and they are not allowed to give this information an anyone until 70 years has elapsed. The president himself could not go in and ask for a record. This law has been upheld in court when the FBI attempted to secure records for arrest warrants.

There is a purpose for the census, and it is not to control you, or find out where you live, it is for statistical data, simply that.

If you chose to believe that the Census Bureau is out to get you, then you may want to look into your life choices, but please do not encourage, or discuss any illegal activity on here.

Hi Physics guy - I appreciate you trying to keep the ligitimicy of the census records. I used to believe the government was thinking about its people, but now, as you can see, the government as strayed so far from what it was designed to do. We are no longer a people governed by the people, for the people and of the people. It is asking for more information than they need to know. But non the less I do not condone any information that will misslead or encourage any illegal activity. As for me I will fill out only what is required.
Thanks guys I needed a good laugh from the comments on this thread:D

Hi Physics guy - I appreciate you trying to keep the ligitimicy of the census records. I used to believe the government was thinking about its people, but now, as you can see, the government as strayed so far from what it was designed to do. We are no longer a people governed by the people, for the people and of the people. It is asking for more information than they need to know. But non the less I do not condone any information that will misslead or encourage any illegal activity. As for me I will fill out only what is required.
Thanks guys I needed a good laugh from the comments on this thread:D

I too have little faith in our government, but I have seen the things that the census data is used for, and it is incredibly useful.

Now if they were actually asking questions that they couldn't easily find out, then I'd be worried.

It is the Government you don't think they can't do what they want???? Wrong I work with them for 7 years and talk about shady. It the people new what they did every day wow. They need and want a count for whatever reason and will use that information as needed like it or not. So when the year 2000 whatever comes and they come knocking and ask if jane doe and the kids are home and you are trying to hide them for reasons unknone now they will say well we know 4 people live at this address you will wish you had not put your names on that form

Just putting in my 2 cents, but, unless I missed a question, all ten of these are things you put on a job application, fill out at a doctor's office, put on a magazine subscription, etc. Now, birthdate I can see a little grumble, but it doesn't say fill out ALL questions as far as I could tell (I may of missed that too.) But, don't falsify, just leave it blank if need be... my apartment has 3 white 20-somethings named Our Names. For census purposes, that's still useful information. (and unless you're hiding out from the law for criminal reasons, a name is not a bad thing.)
NOW, if it had more personal questions, income, SSN, place of birth, political affiliation... things "They" can't find from your subscription to Game Informer :)paranoid:) or your local hospital, then, ok yes by all means get angry. otherwise, It helps people, programs, etc, get what they need. Help, money, manpower.

I'm with PhysicsGuy, help your neighborhoods.

Question: If it's "so easy" to get the info through Choicepoint or other Atlanta based clearinghouse, wouldn't it be better to just get the info from them instead of the "jobs" program called the census? Cheaper and more efficient.

Question: If it's just basic info, how come they had people go to houses with GPS units and mark info? All land info is on file with the city/county down to the foot.

Question: If it's just a routine gathering of info, how come the USPS is using a new bar code tracking system this year to track the form's entire journey? Not just delivery confirmation, but returns, send backs and re-mails and how long it took.

Question: How come there is a specific question about Spanish people? How come nothing about Asians, Arabians, Africans or other?

Question: Why do you think the NHS is expanding data-centers in Utah, Texas and other states?

Question: Why was there a recommendation to hire on 16,500 + IRS agents(including new shotguns with illegal barrel length) in the coming years when, in deflation, tax revenues and earnings are down; which means less processing and collecting?

Here's one answer to a question. It was illegal (and still is) for the government to collect information directly on it's citizens. That's why they buy from a third party(data brokers); sometimes through shell companies around DC and Virginia. Nothing prohibits the private sector from collecting info on you and selling it to whoever they please. Trouble is, a lot of it is faulty info and gamed. The census and other government info collections help refine the data and error check. It's also a temporary jobs program that they can use to skew employment numbers, which will be revised down when the census is over, raising unemployment numbers.

And let's not forget how the census was used for interment of the Japanese.

But hey, ya know, good times...

interment
~noun
See burial (yuh got that right mister dictionary!):s0131:

I don't have such rose colored glasses about the government. I will fill out the census to avoid the hassle and because it's not really that invasive. I do realize that it's used to apportion representatives in congress, and money to the states, even though I wish they didn't collect money and then give it to states.

I went to the bank yesterday to open a new account for my Dad - part of being his guardian. I was required to give the name of my employer, his address and his phone number. I was surprised and asked "why?"

"Patriot Act." Up until that moment I had always supported that act because I'm all for the gov. hunting terrorists, and I thought they just listened to phone calls from terrorist states, etc. Now I don't like it.

I'm getting sick of Big Brother.

$.02

PS If you're self employed, then that info is you, your address and phone but I had to fill in the blanks, just so I could use the banking system.

Question: If it's "so easy" to get the info through Choicepoint or other Atlanta based clearinghouse, wouldn't it be better to just get the info from them instead of the "jobs" program called the census? Cheaper and more efficient.

The census needs to be an "actual enumeration" - those databases are full of duplicate and missing records, and don't include everybody - especially dirt poor folks who "live off the grid" without even thinking about it.

Question: If it's just basic info, how come they had people go to houses with GPS units and mark info? All land info is on file with the city/county down to the foot.

Perhaps to make sure they don't retrace their steps. The census website has an exhaustive FAQ that probably contains the answer.

Question: If it's just a routine gathering of info, how come the USPS is using a new bar code tracking system this year to track the form's entire journey? Not just delivery confirmation, but returns, send backs and re-mails and how long it took.

Dunno, but it's probably in the FAQ. I'd imagine it saves time and money.

Question: How come there is a specific question about Spanish people? How come nothing about Asians, Arabians, Africans or other?

Although "Hispanic" is a category used for racial classification, it's not a race. It's a category that can include White, Black, and Native people, and anyone in between who is (or has ancestors who were) Spanish-speaking. Most other non-white racial and/or national groups can be more-or-less lumped together by physical features (Black people) or geographical origin (Asians). Arabs, Persians, and other people from the Middle East are the odd men out - they're defined as "White" even though most of them aren't.

These categories are pretty old, but I guess they're maintained either for statistical consistency or because it would be too politically difficult to change them (think of how many separate groups would demand this type of recognition...)

Question: Why do you think the NHS is expanding data-centers in Utah, Texas and other states?

I don't know anything about this, but I suspect it's the same reason every entity in this country, public or private, is expanding data centers everywhere.

Question: Why was there a recommendation to hire on 16,500 + IRS agents(including new shotguns with illegal barrel length) in the coming years when, in deflation, tax revenues and earnings are down; which means less processing and collecting?

Probably because the IRS already leaves upwards of $250 billion on the table every year in illegally evaded taxes due to inadequate funding for collection efforts. The guns are for IRS Special Agents who investigate criminal tax evasion and terrorist funding. They are very good accountants who mostly provide their special skills to other federal agencies when they're not arresting dentists and chiropractors who think they can get away with big-time cheating.

I don't have such rose colored glasses about the government. I will fill out the census to avoid the hassle and because it's not really that invasive. I do realize that it's used to apportion representatives in congress, and money to the states, even though I wish they didn't collect money and then give it to states.

I went to the bank yesterday to open a new account for my Dad - part of being his guardian. I was required to give the name of my employer, his address and his phone number. I was surprised and asked "why?"

"Patriot Act." Up until that moment I had always supported that act because I'm all for the gov. hunting terrorists, and I thought they just listened to phone calls from terrorist states, etc. Now I don't like it.

I'm getting sick of Big Brother.

$.02

PS If you're self employed, then that info is you, your address and phone but I had to fill in the blanks, just so I could use the banking system.

I'm with you on this one. Big Brother can stay the **** out of my life. Patriot Act was always a steaming pile of bubblegum.

Probably because the IRS already leaves upwards of $250 billion on the table every year in illegally evaded taxes due to inadequate funding for collection efforts. The guns are for IRS Special Agents who investigate criminal tax evasion and terrorist funding. They are very good accountants who mostly provide their special skills to other federal agencies when they're not arresting dentists and chiropractors who think they can get away with big-time cheating.

Or to enforce new Health care bills ^^

We very simply answered question #1 and placed it back in the return envelope. Everything else was left blank. When they come to the door, I will tell them the same answer to question #1 and shut the door.

No shennanigans. No comedy. Just a head count.

Although "Hispanic" is a category used for racial classification, it's not a race. It's a category that can include White, Black, and Native people, and anyone in between who is (or has ancestors who were) Spanish-speaking. Most other non-white racial and/or national groups can be more-or-less lumped together by physical features (Black people) or geographical origin (Asians). Arabs, Persians, and other people from the Middle East are the odd men out - they're defined as "White" even though most of them aren't.

These categories are pretty old, but I guess they're maintained either for statistical consistency or because it would be too politically difficult to change them (think of how many separate groups would demand this type of recognition...)

That doesn't explain it for me. You're right that Hispanics are white and not a race. So why don't they want to know about Canadians? Why don't they even want to know about Arabs who are white and not a race, and who are predominately Muslim?

If it was about race the questions would be only for Black, White, or Asian. Those are the three races. There is a huge voting block of Hispanics including illegals. Apportionment is always skewed to the advantage of the "ruling" party. It could be skewed for money because the census also determines how benefits are apportioned, not just congress members.

It doesn't make sense to me unless there's something in it for somebody.

Personally I was thinking about not answering certain questions. But really there isn't anything on there that I would consider to be information that needs protecting. My phone number is already available to just about anyone that wants to look in the phone book. I also don't want a $100 fine for not responding. Giving false answers is an even worse, so I guess you should ask yourself how much thumbing your nose at the government is worth.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top