JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off if you haven't been to Stevens Creek on the Humptulips lately, this year the hole and the creek changed. It's widened out and isn't so bottlenecked as it was before. The main whole seems to widening on the gravel bar side, and it also appears to be getting deeper. On both sides the fishing space is less so be prepared if you decide to check the circus out, you'll probably be elbow to elbow with others.

Speaking of those others - good lord. The flossers aka the Jerky Boys were coming out from under their rocks, and they weren't attempting to be subtle about flossing. Some had 8ft leaders, most had a tiny corkie on a 5/0 hook, no yarn, questionable pinched barb, and they were keeping every butt hooked rotten chum they landed. These chum were in the zombie stage, and yet these dingalings would bonk it on the head and go "got one for the smoker!" One guy was literally casting downstream with a 3 ounce cannon ball and a bare 5/0 hook trying to snag fish coming up the rapids at the bottom of the hole. No Game Wardens anywhere to be found of course.

There were also two drunk women in their late teens/early twenties who were beyond obnoxious - mouthy, foul mouthed, and one of them kept prodding her moron boyfriend to do something about those two guys that kept tangling up with him.

I also noticed a large percentage of guys who cannot speak English, and have abstract ideas at best of what fishing licenses, fishing regulations, and punchcards are. Two Asian guys left one was carrying five rotten chums on a rope, and his partner was carrying six. Can you actually smoke these - better yet should you? These fish weren't just colored up, they looked like they were literally rotting, and these boneheads were keeping them.

After all that I finally left, and then on way back I had the wonderful experience of seeing three non English speakers - this time guys from south of the border - reefing through a huge school of dogs and silvers directly across the intake from the hatchery.

I quit fishing Stevens Creek in the late 90's and only started going back three years ago. I'm thinking its time for another vacation from it for ten years or so.:(

Ahh, I remember the good old days....Standing in a line with 7-10 people at first light, in a drift that held 7-10 people, with 6'-12' between each of us.

I don't bank fish anymore, i have a boat!

Here is a picture that's looking out a window showing my Nephew's new place on the Sandy River.
It's upstream from Dodge Park and it's on a large section of gated property.
There's a nice Steelhead/Salmon hole downstream from the pic.

20161015_114611.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews