Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Oregon Rifleworks
Southwest Firearms Forum
Low Price Guns
Gun Deals
Landhawk Arms
Sporting Systems
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

So I bought bins to organize my trunk...but it fit better without the bins

Reactions
I had room to spare before when I just had stuff laid in there. Sure, it was a pain to find stuff, but I bought four bins from Walmart and although they hold the stuff they don't all 4 fit in the trunk. UGH!

Guess I will go back to digging for things when I need them, which is rare but still...would have been nice to have it organized in specific bins...

Bins...

-Dry firewood for emergency camping/bug out with hatchet and bow saw, etc..
-Car repair stuff, fixaflatx3, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, coolant, oil, radiator stop leak, etc. etc.
-Camping food and water, grill, camping cookware, bottle of Crown, etc.
-Bin with wool blanket, sleeping bag, spare clothes, etc.

Such a tight fit that my spare tool box, get home bag, gas can, etc. now don't fit and I have ZERO room to spare....whereas before I had room to spare but had to dig to find things. Any ideas?

Reactions
If the trunk is big enough you might consider making some upright dividers.You would still have to dig for stuff but only in the area of need.

DB is Here

Reactions
  • Air Force
  • Gun Owners of America
  • National Rifle Association
  • Second Amendment Foundation
Packing wood?...That's what she said.

On a serious note take the wood out and dip small pieces of cardboard in paraffin wax. We live in the NW and trees and burnable squaw wood are plentiful.

Mikej

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2017
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
Such a tight fit that my spare tool box, get home bag, gas can, etc. now don't fit and I have ZERO room to spare....whereas before I had room to spare but had to dig to find things. Any ideas?
Save space with paraffin soaked cardboard and pack spray cheese. The slices last for months in the fridge. Spray cheese doesn't even need to be in the fridge! :s0115:

Reactions
Oregon liquor stores typically stack empty boxes outside for people to take and re-use. Maybe try different sizes and shapes in your trunk until you know exactly what you like.

The shelves in my shed and garage are so well stocked with liquor boxes (full of toys and tools) that I must look like a serious boozer. Some boxes are very strong, wholly superior to others. Driving toward my local box supplier, I can spot certain colors and shapes even from the highway. Bingo!!! They have Tanqueray, Crown Royal and Jameson!

Reactions
Oregon liquor stores typically stack empty boxes outside for people to take and re-use. Maybe try different sizes and shapes in your trunk until you know exactly what you like.

The shelves in my shed and garage are so well stocked with liquor boxes (full of toys and tools) that I must look like a serious boozer. Some boxes are very strong, wholly superior to others. Driving toward my local box supplier, I can spot certain colors and shapes even from the highway. Bingo!!! They have Tanqueray, Crown Royal and Jameson!
Costco has some pretty heavy duty cardboard boxes they offer my every time I shop. They also have these which are really handy, but don't put more than maybe 50 pounds in them because the bottom will push out. But boy do I have a lot of these now.

CamoDeafie

Reactions
Let me guess. The bins aren't exactly shaped like actual rectangular prisms, but tapered down to the bottom?

May I suggest this...

1 bin for firewood

1 sports duffel bag for the car stuff

A waterproof large dry bag for the soft stuff

Keep camp cook stuff loose?

Last edited:
OP
B
Reactions
I ended up just putting the stuff back in there but organized/stuffed in their respective spots. My trunk is pretty full but it helps in the winter for traction. My trunk is set up to allow me to go on an immediate week long camping trip from wherever I'm at (basically a large get home bag that allows me to stick out a situation). I'm talking soap, tooth brush, food, water, get home bag, bug repellent, tent, firewood, car fix it stuff, spare tool box with tools, a little bit of booze, road atlas, camping chairs, sleeping pad, tarp, extra clothes, waterproof boots, etc.

Not putting it all in bins or bags allows me to stick stuff into every empty little space.

UPCOMING EVENTS

NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim did some awesome work for me recently. I dropped off my Remington 700 to be cut, threaded and a muzzle brake pin and welded. The muzzle brake...
    • nockandprimer
  • Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    My wife went into to pickup a firearm she bought from a online retailer and shipped to sunset firearms. She had a great experience and had a...
    • NWArborist
  • Independence Indoor Shooting
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought one firearm and many other random items at IIS. The gun was priced really well, and was the best price I could find the area. My...
    • TDH
  • Stockpile Defense, LLC
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought a few lowers here, and many other AR parts. They have a really nice selection of guns and parts, not just AR. They are willing to...
    • TDH
  • Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online