JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bear in mind, a bunch of people got burned down in Waco essentially because of a sawed off shotgun. Or the story goes anyway...........
I think that was the Weaver case where Lon Whore-uci needed to shoot Weaver's wife in the face while she was holding her baby. All for about 1/8"....or so

"Shockwave" it, maybe lop a little more off the barrel and call it a day.

Can't do that legally. It can never have been a shotgun or pistol or rifle. Has to come from the factory that way. From what I gather it was already short enough to be a 'firearm'.

As a side note, I find it interesting that the Mossberg Shockwaves have no markings on them denoting that they are a 'Shockwave' - the markings are the same as a shotgun. I guess they go by the serial number, which might make it hard to prove (or disprove) it is a 'firearm'. I don't know how the Tac-14s are marked.

I think that was the Weaver case where Lon Whore-uci needed to shoot Weaver's wife in the face while she was holding her baby. All for about 1/8"....or so

Yes - Ruby Ridge.

Waco, IIRC, was about the ATF wanting to raid them because they had heard they had NFA firearms (had heard of automatic gunfire coming from the compound). The Davidians offered to let them inspect the firearms but the ATF raided them instead.

That would be a no no.
Once a rifle or shotgun always a rifle or shotgun.
Same with converting an ar15 rifle into a pistol, not legal.

Can't do that legally. It can never have been a shotgun or pistol or rifle. Has to come from the factory that way. From what I gather it was already short enough to be a 'firearm'.

As a side note, I find it interesting that the Mossberg Shockwaves have no markings on them denoting that they are a 'Shockwave' - the markings are the same as a shotgun. I guess they go by the serial number, which might make it hard to prove (or disprove) it is a 'firearm'. I don't know how the Tac-14s are marked.

I was kidding. Like selling in the first place was legit.

Honestly, I would have taken it back to the seller and got my money back.

Last Edited:
Just think about the bastard who pawned said item. The loop will connect.

The only one that can be proved to be in possession of an illegal SBS is the OP.

LIKE I said, he better hope and pray that the FFL doesn't have documentation (or surveillance video) showing it left the shop legal.

I saw a sawed offed shotgun turned in at a gun buy back a few years ago and the local police didn't say a word, just checked to see if it was empty and the guy received his Fred Meyers gift card.
I talked to the guy on his way into the event and he told me that he was a retired LEO and had taken it off a bad guy and had hung onto it for over twenty years.
He was moving out of state and decided that he would cash in on it instead of cutting it up.

Community/Police gun turn ins and buy back programs are frequently conducted as............

"NO QUESTIONS ASKED."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I have NO COMMENT.....as to taking it off of a "bad guy" and retaining it.

My great grandfather LA county sheriff deputy had quite the gun collection on his wall. Sawed off's , machine guns etc. . He had the only Schnellfeuer Mauser Ive ever seen. First machine gun I ever shot in fact in the hills of Los Angeles when I was 7 or 8. Dozens of guns, hundred of switchblades all over the walls. Every one confiscated at some point during a long career. Thats how it was back in the day. When he died his cop buddies came and cleared the place out leaving barely a crumb. Only thing they left was a Remington Derringer and a 1848 Colt . I have both.

My dealings with the ATF have always been positive. When i had on 02/07 they were always there to help.

I can remember a time when I went to a home over some small matter (maybe a domestic argument/issue). Anyway, I was invited into the home and there on the wall was an impressive display of various firearms. Wait a second.....that's an obviously sawed off rifle that appears to NOT COMPLY with the min length law. I picked it up and checked it out. Also, called in the ser #. YUP, it was NOT registered (HI law requires registration) and besides, it was too short. The guy was taken into custody.

At court......

As usual, I testified, got out of the court room and waited outside.

I was later told by the prosecutor......

NOT GUILTY. The guy claimed that many years ago he had held it for safe keeping. Taking it off of a distraught friend (whom he had lost touch with) who had been contemplating suicide.

Rrrrright. Anyway, the Judge decided to have the rifle returned to the guy and he was told to register it. LOL.....it was a saw off job that didn't meet the min. length requirements. But, who am I to get into an argument over this? Whatever you say Judge. I can only imagine what happened next at the gun registration counter at HPD.:eek:

Aloha, Mark

OMG, a cop that did something illegal? Say it isn't so..... :rolleyes:

I did buy a compact 9mm from the same guy for $50.00. The pistol had been in the bottom of a fishing boat and the slide was rusted shut. He did say that it was loaded and to be careful trying to get the action open.
I can't remember what the name of it was, but you had to load the ammo through the top, as it didn't have a detachable magazine.
I think it was an early model Kahr, but I could be wrong on that. I sold it to guy who collected them and wanted it for parts.
I used the battery charger and super soda wash to free up the action and sure enough it was loaded with ammo.

So OP,
You have paper that you took ownership of an illegal weapon but no paper that says the ATF took ownership or that you are no longer the owner of said illegal weapon?
Or have I missed something?

I find that a bit odd too. I've never, thankfully, had to abandon anything to ATF, but all the cases I have read or heard of, there was a form filled out and I believe a copy is supplied. Maybe something changed.
MIB to the rescue!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.screenused.com%2Fimages%2Fmib2%2FFrank_the_Pug.jpg

I did buy a compact 9mm from the same guy for $50.00. The pistol had been in the bottom of a fishing boat and the slide was rusted shut. He did say that it was loaded and to be careful trying to get the action open.
I can't remember what the name of it was, but you had to load the ammo through the top, as it didn't have a detachable magazine.
I think it was an early model Kahr, but I could be wrong on that. I sold it to guy who collected them and wanted it for parts.
I used the battery charger and super soda wash to free up the action and sure enough it was loaded with ammo.

That would have been a Grendel P10.

That's it. For the life of me, I couldn't remember much about it other then it was recommended not disassemble it, as it's internal components were a nightmare to reassemble.

From what I've heard the ATF is chronically understaffed and underfunded, This particular ATF agent might simply have better things to do, then go after a individual who bought a firearm in good faith... Might be a bad sign for the Pawnshop though...
So have I! That's so far out of line. I'm pretty sure I would have apologized to the seller and told him I could not abide by that. If we couldn't find another FFL convenient to him I'd have bought him a beer.
I feel that a beer offer in exchange for inconvenience is totally appropriate and should be more widely acceptable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top