JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1631735819006.png

Commercial ammo gets annealed too, but then they polish it to make it nice and shiny. :)
That I did not know. I have always preferred US made mil-spec ammo with the annealed looking necks. Besides the annealing I know the primers and projectiles are sealed too. Unfortunately the projectiles are almost always FMJ and I strongly prefer expanding ammo.

As a side note, the sealant they put on military ammo really works, amazingly well. I was once given a handful of 1943 dated 30 carbine rounds that had literally been buried in the ground for years, most likely decades.

My wife's friend dug a ditch alongside her gravel driveway and dug up the rusted-through remains of a couple 15 round M1 carbine magazines, with a few seriously nasty rounds still in one. They weren't corroded through, just severely tarnished and covered with a thick "patina".

I sat them on my shelf and one day just for curiosity I cleaned one up. I scrubbed the thick crud off of it, then used some fine sandpaper to polish it to bare metal. It looked so good I decided to pull it apart. The gunpowder and inside of the case looked clean and fresh.

I know some will cringe at this, but I put it back together and fired it over a chronograph. It shot just like a new one, no problem.

Added- as a principle, I do NOT recommend firing 80 year old ammo that's been dug up out of the ground. It's generally a bad idea, even though it worked for me. :)

As a side note, the sealant they put on military ammo really works, amazingly well. I was once given a handful of 1943 dated 30 carbine rounds that had literally been buried in the ground for years, most likely decades.

My wife's friend dug a ditch alongside her gravel driveway and dug up the rusted-through remains of a couple 15 round M1 carbine magazines, with a few seriously nasty rounds still in one. They weren't corroded through, just severely tarnished and covered with a thick "patina".

I sat them on my shelf and one day just for curiosity I cleaned one up. I scrubbed the thick crud off of it, then used some fine sandpaper to polish it to bare metal. It looked so good I decided to pull it apart. The gunpowder and inside of the case looked clean and fresh.

I know some will cringe at this, but I put it back together and fired it over a chronograph. It shot just like a new one, no problem.

Added- as a principle, I do NOT recommend firing 80 year old ammo that's been dug up out of the ground. It's generally a bad idea, even though it worked for me. :)
If the brass has not been weakened, then mil spec ammo should be fine. I have some ammo I inherited that has some green/blue crud on it because it was stored improperly. Most of it I would just pull the bullet, dump the powder and put oil inside the case to deactivate the primer, then crush the brass, but some I would just scrape the crud off it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top