JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so the Republican convention is over and guess what not a shot was fired in an open carry state even with folks from different groups caring AR15s and what not.

The police really did not have to arrest very many folks at all and none with guns that I have heard of and most of the ones that where arrested were from out of state.

So the evil guns did not cause a mass shooting just because they exist.

This proves that civilians with guns are not the bad guys it's just the bad guys that are evil.

So how do we use this example against the antis short of thumbing our nose and going na na na!

Ok so the Republican convention is over and guess what not a shot was fired in an open carry state even with folks from different groups caring AR15s and what not.

The police really did not have to arrest very many folks at all and none with guns that I have heard of and most of the ones that where arrested were from out of state.

This proves that civilians with guns are not the bad guys it's just the bad guys that are evil.

So how do we use this example against the antis short of thumbing our nose and going na na na!
You already said it-

With all due respect, it's a single event. A sample size that small doesn't prove anything. Not that I don't think that it's significant. It definitely adds to the credibility of your opinion. But in and of itself, it doesn't constitute proof. If we're going to call the other side out on this sort of stuff we shouldn't do it ourselves.

With all due respect, it's a single event. A sample size that small doesn't prove anything. Not that I don't think that it's significant. It definitely adds to the credibility of your opinion. But in and of itself, it doesn't constitute proof. If we're going to call the other side out on this sort of stuff we shouldn't do it ourselves.

No it is not a single event because we have had Second Amendment rallies in every State and hundreds of cities and folks carried guns at most of them with no blood in the streets and there were anti gun folks at every one I went to. My wife and I and our two sons with their wives went to three so far here in Idaho all carrying with no issues.

The media had a hay day with this one and the police union wanted Governor Kasich to make a law or put a stay to take those folks rights to carry away from them and he told them he could not.

So I have to disagree that this is the first event of this type but will agree it may have been the largest that I know of but it to was still uneventful.

the antis dont care about pro gun statistics, no matter how credible, big or small they refute them all and flat out refuse to consider them. There is plenty of other pro gun statistics out there from credible sources that are all ignored. You cant reach someone who thinks Chicagos gun laws are working or someone who belives gun free zones save lives....

your statistic and argument needs to be marketed to the middle grounders. The average every day American who may or may not be a gun owner that has a more open mind intellectually than the antis. That is how you use this statistic...

You make a good point, but the gun grabbers don't care about truth, fact, or anything resembling reality.

The general public, however, will consider your discussion and many will assent to it. Like Koda just said, those are the people who need to be hearing you.

I'm still curious to see how things go at the DNC convention next week. Everyone expected the RNC convention to be a huge riot/mess with violence in the streets, and that just didn't happen. I wonder what will happen in Philly next week?

One thing to consider is how the anti gun crowd spins open carry and pro gun rallies.
Some of my relatives and many coworkers are on the fence and lean towards the anti's point of view regarding firearms and gun ownership.
What I hear from them when talking about carrying ( open or concealed ) and firearm ownership is that these rallies might be doing more harm than good.
They tend to believe that carrying is bad and that these folks who go to the rallies are the very common stereotype of "Bubba" that the media loves to portray as true for every gun owner.
It is often difficult to reason with them or simply present a opposing view.
I find that in my experience using rallies to make a case can be a double edged sword , so to speak.
As in the argument of "Why carry a gun?" as opposed to "See these folks had guns and no one was harmed."
They tend to focus only on the why carry part and not on the no one was hurt part.

Not sure of the answer , just saying be careful if you use a rally as an example that it does not get turned against you.
Andy

Last Edited:
I'm still curious to see how things go at the DNC convention next week. Everyone expected the RNC convention to be a huge riot/mess with violence in the streets, and that just didn't happen. I wonder what will happen in Philly next week?

I'm expecting disgruntled moochers to Bern the house down.

Not sure of the answer , just saying be careful if you use a rally as an example that it does not get turned against you.
agree with this. In my experience I avoid using statistics as the foundation for my argument, they have always proven to be a double edged sword, I usually dont bring them up unless they do first....

The problem with any statistic (pro-gun or anti...) is its impossible to correlate cause and effect. This is another thing the antis hypocritically ignore in their favor.

IMO the best strategy for using statistics is in defense of an opposite statistic. Let the opponent strike first statistically, a reposte on their strike puts them on the defensive and gives you the offense.

A good question to ask a statistic or "fact" spouter is:
"Can you show me what you are saying is true?"
One to ask yourself before presenting any information is:
Where did this information come from and is it reliable?
Or what spin was put on it before it came to me?

I like the idea of focusing on the thousands of gun owners who never break the law and who quietly go about their business , never harming anyone.
Andy

You could copy and paste your post off to some of the TV networks. They might put something on the news. More likely they would find a way to turn a positive gun story into something negative.

They'll probably pay someone to cause a ruckus at the DNC.
Then they'll have fodder against us.
I say never mind cause they'll swing whatever our side says to make it bad anyway.

No it is not a single event because we have had Second Amendment rallies in every State and hundreds of cities and folks carried guns at most of them with no blood in the streets and there were anti gun folks at every one I went to. My wife and I and our two sons with their wives went to three so far here in Idaho all carrying with no issues.

The media had a hay day with this one and the police union wanted Governor Kasich to make a law or put a stay to take those folks rights to carry away from them and he told them he could not.

So I have to disagree that this is the first event of this type but will agree it may have been the largest that I know of but it to was still uneventful.
Except that you didn't mention any other incidents. If you had, I'd have posted something very different. If that's what you meant, then I agree with you.

I wrote this for a current event paper its a little unrelated to this topic but it goes to show that even if guns are banned crazy people will still find ways to cause harm. Now keep in mind never do I mention any thing about guns in this. It just points to pointlessness of banning guns. So next time you have a conversation with someone who is anti gun bring this up and don't mention guns and see what their response to the questions are. And it only reinforces what the OP said "This proves that civilians with guns are not the bad guys it's just the bad guys that are evil." And note I tried to be unbiased in the questions.

From this story on abc news
Nice Attack: The Deadly 'Evolution' of Vehicles Turned Into Weapons (http://abcnews.go.com/International/nice-attack-deadly-evolution-vehicles-turned-weapons/story?id=40613102)

The Nice Attack in France where vehicles are used as weapons. The killer managed to kill the vast majority of his 84 victims with a large truck speeding through a packed crowd .

This was hardly the first time a vehicles has been used for an assault. They have been used many times before.

Any one able to reach a gas pedal can use a vehicle as a weapon. And there is a probability of copycat attacks.

Questions for discussion.

1.Would banning trucks prevent this from happening again or will terrorist and psychopaths find other weapons to use?

2. Could a proposed ban and media exposure lead to escalating the use of trucks as weapons.

3. If banning trucks is not the solution what is?

Please note I did not mention any thing about guns even though it was guns used by the police that stopped him.

Last Edited:
Except that you didn't mention any other incidents. If you had, I'd have posted something very different. If that's what you meant, then I agree with you.

I should have been clearer but I had just watched the last couple speeches including Trumps hour plus speech and as I was watching the crowd leave the stage area is when it just came to me that all the panic and hype turned out to be nothing. I will say I am not a praying man but I did thank the Lord.

With the Black Panthers, Bikers for Trump, Oath Keepers and civilians all saying they would be down there with guns you know there would have to be one whack job floating around there somewhere. Then with the police shootings it could have been a target rich area for someone hating the police.

As others have said we have the DNC convention next week and I hope it too will be uneventful but I am not sure if Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has open carry or not so I am not sure that will play into it.

Insist that anti-gun politicians stand by their convictions and insist that they place "this is a gun-free home" sign on their private residence. If they can "walk as well as talk" they shouldn't mind doing it.

I wrote this for a current event paper its a little unrelated to this topic but it goes to show that even if guns are banned crazy people will still find ways to cause harm. Now keep in mind never do I mention any thing about guns in this. It just points to pointlessness of banning guns. So next time you have a conversation with someone who is anti gun bring this up and don't mention guns and see what their response to the questions are. And it only reinforces what the OP said "This proves that civilians with guns are not the bad guys it's just the bad guys that are evil." And note I tried to be unbiased in the questions.

From this story on abc news
Nice Attack: The Deadly 'Evolution' of Vehicles Turned Into Weapons (http://abcnews.go.com/International/nice-attack-deadly-evolution-vehicles-turned-weapons/story?id=40613102)

The Nice Attack in France where vehicles are used as weapons. The killer managed to kill the vast majority of his 84 victims with a large truck speeding through a packed crowd .

This was hardly the first time a vehicles has been used for an assault. They have been used many times before.

Any one able to reach a gas pedal can use a vehicle as a weapon. And there is a probability of copycat attacks.

Questions for discussion.

1.Would banning trucks prevent this from happening again or will terrorist and psychopaths find other weapons to use?

2. Could a proposed ban and media exposure lead to escalating the use of trucks as weapons.

3. If banning trucks is not the solution what is?

Please note I did not mention any thing about guns even though it was guns used by the police that stopped him.
They know all that, they just don't care. They've got the snowball rolling downhill and aren't about to stop it. We have to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top