JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a term they taught us when we were going to gunsmith school. It was called a SCLID. A Sudden Catastrophic Load Induced Disassembly. A much nicer way of saying gun go boom.

The problem with the 1903 isn't one that can likely be solved with a proof load. The problem would manifest itself if you ever had a case failure. I am not a ballistics expert, a metallurgy expert, or a materials engineer, but I believe the pressure spikes are different between a proof load and a case rupture. The latter is what will cause the gun to have a SCLID.

I know a lot of friends that own low number springfields, and honestly, most of them shoot them. They are smart guys who know the risks. Many are even gunsmiths. But one of the first thing they told us to do if we ever got a low number springfield in the shop was to red tag it as unsafe to shoot. The liability of what-if is too high for a lot of gunsmiths, myself included.

Ironbar,

Someone's hunted with that rifle.
The stock looks similar to my brother's 95 Chilean Mauser.
Nice gun and nice mod to the stock.
Thanks for sharing.

Dean

These military rifles were disposed of as trash. In the eyes of the custodians at the time, they were scrap.
Sold at auction by the truck loads. Re-sold in the American Rifleman, gun shops for whatever the market offered (and delivered to your home via USPO).
View attachment 103726

View attachment 103727
Chop off the heavy parts, a bit of elbow grease and sandpaper, a deer hunter for cheap.
I acquired a 30.06 1917 Enfield
View attachment 103728
"Improved" by an old former Alaskan guide. Hand carved stock.
View attachment 103720
View attachment 103721
View attachment 103722
View attachment 103723
View attachment 103725
As you can see, the "Ears" (rear sight) were chopped off. Will never be original again...
Hot Dam! P-17 for the win!
Sweet, sweet shootin' iron you got there, Rick.
Thank you very much for sharing!

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews