JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was perusing the local Craigslist in a cursory search for a good deal on an old F100 to putt around in when I came across an ad for a 2010 Dodge Challenger in which the owner is asking a mint for because of it's "rarity".

I like the new Dodge Challengers and toyed with the idea of buying one for a fun summer vehicle, but it never occurred to me that they were becoming collectible based on color schemes.

Rare 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic

Rare, Pristine 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic. One of only 775 painted Furious Fuchsia and even more rare with white leather interior and all options (See Moroni sticker in photos).

5.7 liter V8 with 375 horsepower, all options including sunroof and 20 inch aluminum wheels. Active fuel management for 28 highway mpg.

Original car manual, car cover, and floor mats all in unopened packages. Original MSRP sticker included showing price in 2010 of $41,490.00.

Second owner with only 18,315 miles. Clean Carfax. Always garaged and babied with synthetic oil and Supreme gasoline.

$25,999.00 OBO

00r0r_5qi91ID4KeF_1200x900.jpg

Original car manual, car cover, and floor mats all in unopened packages. Original MSRP sticker included showing price in 2010 of $41,490.00.

Second owner with only 18,315 miles. Clean Carfax. Always garaged and babied with synthetic oil and Supreme gasoline.

$25,999.00 OBO

Even with the low miles, its nowhere near the 40% knock down of its value after driving off the lot :rolleyes:
(42,000-40%=25,200).

Given a depreciation of say 10% a year, it should be at most a $12,500 car.
40% loss driven off the lot; $25,200... 9 years at 10% loss= $37,500 loss from original value of $42,000... approximately. :eek:

That is being generous. Average seems to be 20% first year depreciation, then 15% a year until 10th year where car is valued 10% of original cost :rolleyes:

KBB values it at around $13k to $15k.

Not many folks are willing to pay a $10k premium for a purple car with white interior.

Well, maybe this guy...

adult-mac-daddy-costume.jpg

I don't tend to use KBB. KBB have 3 different values groups.. trade in, retail, private party. Highest tend to be either retail price (dealer pricing), or private party..BUT they aren't accurate AT ALL for anything over 20 years old.... Edmunds is worse for anything before 1990s..because of the options in which they seem to default to include "all the options given for a marque, even if they weren't available for a specific line" (like 307 Olds and 350 diesel Olds for a FWD Oldsmobile??? right......) :rolleyes:

I've had better luck negotiating by using the KBB Trade-In values, as opposed to Private Party or Retail/Dealer values..because that's the more realistic option.... if a dealer won't take your car in for a trade in, that tells you something...innit?

Basically, using the trade in value as the benchmark is a good idea, because that's pretty much "what you're gonna get from a dealer" price; which tends to be far below what you may get from selling it yourself.... For example...say trade in value of a certain car is $5,000; seller is asking a price that's pretty much retail or Barrett-Jackson auction prices :rolleyes: then one should offer the seller that price as the lowest point to start negotiating towards.... never the Dealer/Private party value as the lowest point. At least that's how my mechanic and I have done for older cars... It's gotten me some good deals, like an 87k mile 1983 Ciera 2 door with the Iron anchor engine..... for $300. my current car, I paid $1800 cash.... KBB trade in said $1500, guy was selling it for $2500... and that was with 89K miles on the clock.

With only 775 made (if that is true), it does make it rare. They probably called it "Furious Fuchsia" because they can't call it "Panther Pink".

All kinds of people "collecting" all kinds of stuff, will pay all kinds of money for something that they want and are "collecting".

Do I think he'll get $26K for it? No. But you have to put a starting price somewhere. You can always go down in price, but you can never go up.

I good friend of mine paid $18K for a rare (only made 500) for a V8 Chevy Colorado something-or-another. He would have gone as high as $25K, but lucked across this one as the family didn't realize what they had. It is rare and he was happy to pay $18K for it.

With only 775 made (if that is true), it does make it rare. They probably called it "Furious Fuchsia" because they can't call it "Panther Pink".

All kinds of people "collecting" all kinds of stuff, will pay all kinds of money for something that they want and are "collecting".

Do I think he'll get $26K for it? No. But you have to put a starting price somewhere. You can always go down in price, but you can never go up.
It may be rare, but it is simply a cosmetic package as far as I can tell... not being a Hellcat version, or similarly higher performing package

I good friend of mine paid $18K for a rare (only made 500) for a V8 Chevy Colorado something-or-another. He would have gone as high as $25K, but lucked across this one as the family didn't realize what they had. It is rare and he was happy to pay $18K for it.
Okay that makes more sense than the cosmetic packaged Dodge Challenger. There just aint many v8 Colorados..

I have a 2015 B5 blue Charger SRT. One of 79 in that color for that year (one of 123 worldwide). Nobody is giving me a $10K premium over market for it. 775 is not a low volume if it is just a paint/appearance package. This guy does not want to sell. Period.

2015_Charger_SRT_Hellcat_Global_Chart.jpg

Last Edited:
Craigslist: the go to place for accurate information on values and collectability on all
fine autos or for that matter that old used innertube you have laying in the corner.
When I want the definitive price on anything, I go straight to Craigslist.
They know stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top