JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get an S&W model 640. I replaced my 642 with one as it's heavy enough to help tame recoil, especially if you get some fatter grips, and it is smooth when drawing and re-holstering. I got a like new no-lock off of Gunbroker for $400.

That's a nice weapon as the ability to cock it makes it a nice plinker.
That's one of the things I really liked about it.
I will tell one thing, with hot 357 158gr loads, this was the harshest recoiling handgun I've ever shot. The 500 S&W recoils more, but not nearly as harsh as it's little brother.

That's one of the things I really liked about it.
I will tell one thing, with hot 357 158gr loads, this was the harshest recoiling handgun I've ever shot. The 500 S&W recoils more, but not nearly as harsh as it's little brother.

Stick with +p .38 Specials. Many modern factory loadings for the .38 are plenty stout. I know they will foul/erode the front end of the cylinder holes on a .357 but a considerable amount of the energy in a factory .357 cartridge fired out of a snub gun is expended in producing a huge balloon of flaming gas out in front of the muzzle.

You can't go wrong with an older Model 60 Smith. Go with the 3" with adjustable sites if you can. That is my all time favorite hiking gun.
James

What I use:
Ruger LCR .357

Loaded with:
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Re-load strips with:
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Holsters:
OWB
Predator™ Pancake Holster
Cross-Draw when necessary
Regulator™ Cross Draw Holster
Pocket
MD-5 Medium Sticky Holster

I chose the LCR .357 for the versatility of .38 special, .38+P, .357 magnum, nice double action, and XS big dot front sight. Option for smaller boot grip or the Hogue stock grip. For my purpose (self defense), I do not desire an exposed hammer. Special note: I could also be talked into the LCR 9mm as I have lots of 9mm ammo. In one article I read, it had as good of ballistics as from 3" barrel semi's. I would be perfectly happy carrying it loaded with Federal HST 124gr or 147gr, standard or +P.

My wife uses:
Ruger SP101 2.25 inch barrel
S&W 442

Loaded with and also used for her re-loads:
38 Special 110 gr FTX® Critical Defense® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Holsters:
OWB
S&W 442- <broken link removed>
Ruger SP101- <broken link removed>

Pocket/IWB(fits both 442 and SP101)
MD-5 Medium Sticky Holster

Best of luck with your quest.

I've carried the S&W 642 and 637 as a BUG for a while and really like them. Light and easy to hide. I use the 642 on duty because its point and squeeze at powder-burn range. I carry the 637 when I'm out in the woods. I like the SA option when making a deliberate shot.
Is seems that 99+% of self defense shootings will be up close and personal. You honor I had to shoot this guy at 50 yards because he was crossing the street and i was scared.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top