JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a compact double and single action snub nose revolver (less than 2.5"- preferably 2" or slightly less). Im interested in getting a .327 because of its ballistics but there doesn't seem to be much support and variety for revolvers that I'm interested in with that caliber yet. Maybe in another couple years there will be? Due to this fact I'm okay with settling with a 9mm, .38 special +p, or a .357 magnum. I'm not too hung up on "getting a .357 mag because it shoots both" because I already have a 6" dan Wesson .357 mag. I've had a snub nose in .357 mag in the past (LCR.357 double action only) and from experience prefer carrying and practicing only with .38 special in a light weight revolver.

Anyways, I'm looking at spending less than $500 for one. These are some that are in my top pick list:

Smoky Mountain Guns & Ammo - S&W 163050 637 1.875" 38 STS/ALUM

I like these ALOT. The grips feel great, they're light, and American made. The only problem for me is the front sight post. I always put on aftermarket night sights and to do that for this gun a gunsmith has to file the front post down and glue the new front sight post on. I would like to put an XS big dot front sight post on this one but I'm worried about how well it'll stay "glued" on.

TAURUS PROTECTOR HANDGUN 38 SPECIAL 2.5IN | Brownells

This one is cheap and handy. The fiber optic front sight post would be adequate enough for me to not change it out. Its problem is that it's not made in the USA.

Ruger LCRX 38SP+P 1.875 inch barrel HOG BLK - $359 ($7.99 S/H on firearms)

I like this one a lot. I've had LCRs in the past that were double action only. I sold them because I got into the whole semi auto phase but now find myself wanting to go back to the ol wheel gun. I liked the way my glock 19 went with my oakleys and tactical beard ;). This has a pinned front sight post which makes exchanging them a breeze; I changed my previous LCR front sight post by myself with no problems. The problem I have with this is that it's not as light as the SW and I prefer the all stainless look. I'm hard on my carry guns and the black paint always wears off. I know I'll be using this on my backpacking and bicycling trips which means grit will be rubbing all over this. A plus for this is that like the SW it's also American made.

So this is my rational and what I'm up against. Given my objective needs in a snub nose revolver what would you all suggest? Also input on holsters is appreciate.

Side note, if I go with .38 special, which given the availability of these revolvers I probably will be, im going to be purchasing this ammo:

38 Special +P 140gr Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Thank you all for your input. I hope you all have been staying cool out there.

Raidingtime

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .327 Mag Results

Joe it looks like you're right; the velocity certainly goes up past 4". Regardless it gives you an extra round compared to .38 special.

Certaindeaf. I can't find a single and double action in that caliber that's a snub nose.
I hear you. You really should only shoot a DA revolver DA in defensive situations anyway and Rugers have excellent triggers.
A lot of guys can shoot revolvers as good or better DA than in SA.. and a whole lot faster.
anyway

I hear you. You really should only shoot a DA revolver DA in defensive situations anyway and Rugers have excellent triggers.
A lot of guys can shoot revolvers as good or better DA than in SA.. and a whole lot faster.
anyway

Good point. I've had da only revolvers (lcrs) and didn't like them. I know a lot of people do but I don't. I seem to have a lot more fun at the range with the single action option and can hit targets past 25 yards with a single action.

Good point. I've had da only revolvers (lcrs) and didn't like them. I know a lot of people do but I don't. I seem to have a lot more fun at the range with the single action option and can hit targets past 25 yards with a single action.
PPC shooters do about 3" groups from different positions out to fifty yards.. with 4-6" guns.. double action. it's pretty fun

I've owned some nice snubbies, a Mod 60 and 19 come to mind. The only one I'd want back was the 649. (357 Mag)

sw649.jpg

The wifey has a Taurus 605 .357 2" hammerless that is ported... I don' think they make them ported anymore but they might have it with a hammer. Heavy gun but doesn't kick the snot out of you. Lose a little with the short barrel and porting of course.

I really like the look and feel of the new lightweight Taurus and Ruger revolvers. But I've heard some negative about the kick when shooting a lot of rounds for practice.

Have you got to a range that rents revolvers? Find out what you like?

Ruger SP101 2.25" in 357.

Throw a Big Dot night sight on it and call it a day.

IMG_0411.JPG

I have had several Smith and Wesson J frames. I now have two Ruger LCR'S. I used the stock one to make a hit or two at the 100 steel hog. They are very shootable. The second one has a Big Dot night sight and Crimson Trace Laser grips. The inner works of the LCR seem delicate. The S & W' s took me a long time to learn to shoot. I like their overall durability inside and out. I recently thought about getting a 637 but to what point? DA revolvers should be shot that way. A US Marshall told me not to advertise the fact that my handgun was a small one by it being a shiny one. I switched to matte black. The LCR fits into my Kramer pocket holster and uses the Crimson Trace left over from the J frame. The J frame smacks the web of my hand. The LCR does not.I am using 158 grain but 110 grain are proper. 5 Star Firearm makes a great LCR specific speed loader.Today I ordered a tactically black anodized speed loader and kevlar carrier. Also a Load block starter kit. Then a kydex holster as well. Don't worry I also wear a Sig M11a1 in a Kramer's horsehide scabbard. So sometimes only 5 rounds is just too sensible.

Having had a bunch of snubbies over the years, my thoughts would be to find a pre-lock Model 60 .357 or an SP101 .357, then you'll have much more ammo versatility and your stainless. Both are rock solid revolvers, but the SP101 is considerably heavier. Nicer to shoot, but not as nice to carry.

I've had a S&W M36, 37, 60, 19 snub, LCR .357 and an SP101 .357 and there wasn't a dud among them.

Good luck with your search.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads