JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's it!!! I'm gonna become a snowbird and spend my winters in the South (my homeland & i still got my accent) chasing these critters. I have been told that most farms in rural areas with hog problems want ethical hunters to thin the herds (they will never be totally wiped out). o_O

I fit the bill, I just need to procure some of the equipment for this task such as a few .308 AR10's w/suppressors, massive amounts of HP or SP ammo (will reload once it gets going), night vision, thermal imaging for tracking the runners and a good 2 seat ATV w/winch.....

I think you would do fine or even better with a lighter chambering, like a 6.8 or 6.5 somthing. Faster recovery, faster swing with a lighter rifle.

You also might want to look into a Desert Tech MDR - it will be a lot shorter, letting you swing faster.

And here I thought you were headed to Ashland OR!
Good luck, if your hunting from the ground anything that will drop a deer is good for pigs as most of the big ones are gone. Most of the Bulletin Boards for pigs talk up night vision and surpassed firearms
so Get Er Done!

Sounds like fun!!!
I've thought about going down to Cal. And do some hog hunting used to see add all the time in different hunting magazines if I recall it was pretty cheap.

Stacy
I hear you
Back in...1960's I went to Hunter Liget Military Reservation to hunt pigs, they let civilians on the Fed Land every weekend, well the hunt started at 10AM when the pigs were bedded down deep inside the Res. miles away from us civvys. I hunted strong and heavy as only a 125 pound teenager would, I went down tunnels in the brush that would make your hair stand on end with just a borrowed 30-30 and a Norma Cupro-Nickle bullet between me and a grizzly end frum a mean pig.
We never saw a pig!
Next year I was in the green machine...I refused to shoot a privately owned pig in SE Asia while in their employ and by way of inverted logic figured they owed me that as way of compensation.
At least I was honest and straight forward in my musings

Last Edited:
The lighter recoil will help you get back on target quicker too.

From the vids I have seen, whether you are on the ground or in the air or on/in a vehicle, fast shooting is the name of the game as you want to get as many as possible - unless you are going for a "trophy".

There is a vid of a guy who hunts them from a motorcycle - I think it was in Ozzie land - and yes, he shoots them while on the move IIRC. IMO that is unsafe, but as long as he doesn't do it around me then whatever floats his boat.

I want to hunt them too. I was thinking of building an AR with different uppers to hunt them with, but now I think the DT MDR would be just the ticket. A semi-auto bullpup from a company known for precision rifles with the capability to change calibers would be nice for different terrain.

That dude in the outback uses an SKS and raves about it for hog pest control.

Hulluv a lot cheaper to shoot then a .308 and the platform is dirt cheap as well.

Why not take it a step further and use a pig sticker like some of those crazy southern boys do with a couple of dogs and a long blade.

Last Edited:
I meant the "Real South".... hint "the accent" southern draw.
Why not take it a step further and use a pig sticker like some of those crasy southern boys do with a couple of dogs and a long blade.

Alas youngster my body is too broken up to attack an animal with a knife, even the little ones.o_O

I would preffer to touch them from afar....:cool:

Well I am fond of the 300 blk so that is what I would use if I ever get the chance to hunt. Some Barnes 110 TACs or Nosler 125 BTs would work great.

I was watching a show this morning and it looked like they were using a .308 at about 500 to 750 yds to try and get one.

Well folks, after much thought about the caliber I will hunt with I'm going to be looking for a 300 BO upper. Since I have mucho .223/5.56 brass laying around it would not put a huge financial burden on me since I'm retired & have time to reconfigure the loads and brass.
Thanks for all the comments. Keep em coming.:D

I've seen videos of hogs taken with .22 & .17 rimfire, .223 and everything on up (including the tannerite vid). With good shot placement you can take them with most anything. The rimfire shots were always brain shots from less than 100 yards.

I was thinking of building an AR pistol and then having some rifle uppers in various calibers, but I am not thinking most anything will do.

If DT still delivers their MDR next year I would probably go with that if it is halfway accurate - a bullpup swings and shoots faster than a conventional rifle and the MDR can switch calibers. It would be better for going in the brush after a wounded pig too.

I built a 6.8 AR for some hunting goodness (yet to be blooded). It has a free float barrel, Luepold AR 1-4x20 scope, and 45* offset iron sights.

null_zps91a9dfa6.jpg null_zpsdad0f2b3.jpg

I meant the "Real South".... hint "the accent" southern draw.

Alas youngster my body is too broken up to attack an animal with a knife, even the little ones.o_O

I would preffer to touch them from afar....:cool:

I had a Hawaiian kid working for me in a construction gig some years ago. He showed me pictures of pig and showed me the knife he used to kill a hog with when he was 18 years old. Some Hawaiian tradition about becoming man or something. Takes balls any way you look at it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top