JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to take my son out shooting this afternoon, to try out his new present - a 10/22.

Does anyone know if there's [much] snow at one of the first few spots off Salmonberry road? The wife took the truck this morning, and I don't want to set him up for disappointment if the Honda Element can't make it....

I'd like to take my son out shooting this afternoon, to try out his new present - a 10/22.

Does anyone know if there's [much] snow at one of the first few spots off Salmonberry road? The wife took the truck this morning, and I don't want to set him up for disappointment if the Honda Element can't make it....

Sorry this is kind of late, not sure if you've made it out there yet... we just went yesterday and there was about two inches of very slushy snow on the ground at the first few spots off the road. The road was a little slick, definitely a good idea to have four wheel drive. The rain may have melted some of the snow but it was kind of cold and messy yesterday.

Was out there 01/08 with a buddy. There was a solid foot of snow accumulation at the first shooting spot (off to the right side of the road). We only saw one other vehicle that day -- serious looking, old school jeep. We made it up the road fine in a stock 1994 Nissan pathfinder, no chains, no special tires -- at the "all terrain" types. We first gear creeped up a few areas, but had no problems otherwise. It snowed hard several times and there are few people around there - come prepared! Throw some spare blankets/sleeping bag in your vehicle.

Cheers,
DJM

Snow should be almost all gone out there. I was up off of hwy 6 and I was able to get up to about 2700ft before I hit anything that made me turn around. That was saturday. Now it should be clear all the way up to probably 3000ft or so with out problem. Salmonberry is way lower than that so it should be gtg as long as you have a decent 4x4, just to be safe.

was there sunday and dirt roads was clear up to the rock pit coming off 26.....was a different story when i went thru timber road to get up to the rock pit......still had snow in certain spots and still gave my diesel a hard time to get thru......it was a good day as i had the place all to myself the whole day......

Never been to Salmonberry Rd. Is the road worse then the one at Browns Camp? Is the road marked? I believe it is just past mile marker 32, do I just stay on Salmonberry until we get to the pit?

Thanks!

If you are going to go to the pit you turn onto Salmonberry Rd., which is just pass MP32, stay on the main road for about 2 miles then take camp 5 rd. which will be on your left. Go about a mile and you're there. The pit is not as big as Browns camp or as deep, but you can still have about a 100 yard shot. (About half way up Salmonberry you will cross Section 10 Rd. Don't turn just keep going straight.) Hopes this helps.

Anyone have any word on conditions lately? Wouldn't think it's particularly accessible now, but haven't been up in a few weeks.

I was just up there on Sat 3/19; the road in totally clear up to the first small pit. Once you get up the road a bit further, the snow is deep, icy on top, and slushy underneath. We made a go at it in my buddies pathfinder and soon changed our minds -- not easy going.

DJM

On 3/22 there was some fresh snow at the 1st pit. But road was clear.
JUst up the road there started to be some snow and slush but nothing difficult
. But som eof the non traveled roads had snow and no traffic

Tried to get to the big pit,still can't do it. About 6 inches or so slush type on the road above section 10 cross road. The first two spots and the one on section 10 are open though. Good shooting

Was able to make it to about a 100 yards or so of the big pit yesterday. Looks like some have tried, but I turned around, and I drive a pickup with 4 wheel drive and new offroad tires.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top