JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my opinion 14 days of supplies means you probably don't have to go to the grocery store today, not that you are "prepared" for much of anything else.

I suppose it would help if there was a little hiccup in society, a medium quake or something to that effect.

War? EMP? CME? Zombies? :D

Not so much.

Seven, (7) days was a good start. Now they recommend fourteen, (14) days? Good. Eventually PERHAPS that will increase to thirty days, (30) and then so on?

Would the doable eventual sweet spot would be 90 days? With some common sense and guidance all of it could fit inside that average 4x8x8 closet? What about water?

What about everything else you might and will need? But considering it is a public agency trying to get pushed off that fat seat of indifference, they are off to a good start. :)

Edited by HB: Unfortunately it might take a major hiccup in their karma to get folks to understand that good times do not last forever. Or how little it would take to upset things.

FEMA
Fix Everything My Azz ? :D

7 days , 14 days , both good.
But yeah I agree the more and longer you can store the better off you are.
Not just food but water , TP , basic first aid , extra blankets etc ..

Glad to see some more "mainstream" types thinking ahead.
Andy

I've uploaded a free copy of the Guide (in PDF format) on Dropbox. You do NOT need an account on Dropbox to view or download the PDF file. If Dropbox prompts you to create an account just click on the "No, thanks" link on the bottom of the pop-up window.

Many of the recommendations will be "meh" for those who have already achieved a level of preparedness. However, you might want to share the link with others if you want to give them a gentle nudge. The PDF file is 29 MB so you probably cannot send it through most email systems due to the large size.

Dropbox - Snohomish County Disaster Preparedness Guide 2017Jan.pdf

Not we
Not you
It's me that has to do it, the individual.
Make a list of what's in the pantry, go to the store, buy more.
Gather food to last a week, check!
Do it again, two weeks, check!
first aid? bandaids check
A gallon of clorox bleach (sanitize water)
TEOTWAWKI
better get to the store for some more
If i'm wise, i'll zip my lips about it.

Having a 90 day supply of vittles and water makes a lot of sense, anything that would drive you into your emergency stash may last longer than a week or two...

Might want an adequate cash reserves stored as well...

Not to mention 90 days of vittles and oils for your most serviceable weaponary...

Just sayin'

For on the 15th day FEMA will arrive in all it's glory and all will be well...

(teehee)

A few years back I read an op-ed piece on preparedness in a local paper. The author's "argument" basically boiled down to:

• Preparing is stupid because one or more government agencies will save you.
  • Guns are scary and bad, so you shouldn't have them.
Sadly, I suspect a lot of people subscribe to the author's way of thinking. If I even run across it online, I'll post it so others can get a glimpse into the unprepared mind.

Last Edited:
In the case of the dam in CA - Oroville -

Being kept away for 2 weeks - matches the need. But can you carry that much with you in your bug-out method?

Some of the news was that there were traffic jams - what could have happened.

Having a supply at home is a good idea, having a supply you CAN take with you is also a good idea - should you not have to move, it can extend you hunker down in place supplies.

Don't forget the TP!

Keep two weeks of preps packaged up on a shelf right next to your truck. In the case of the dam you can be loaded with your bug out bag and those preps in minutes and be out the door. ;)

Edit: That includes the TP just in case :D

(teehee)

A few years back I read an op-ed piece on preparedness in a local paper. The author's "argument" basically boiled down to:

• Preparing is stupid because one or more government agencies will save you.
  • Guns are scary and bad, so you shouldn't have them.
Sadly, I suspect a lot of people subscribe to the author's way of thinking. If I even run across it online, I'll post it so others can get a glimpse into the unprepared mind.

People as a whole RARELY learn from history. The last great panic on ammo was a prime example of it. For many it was not the first time they had seen something like that. Look how few learned. When Y2K was getting close Wife even started to get caught up. Was saying we did not have enough. I told her we were fine. Always keep enough for weeks for the great shake that may come. She kept saying some had HUGE stockpiles of food. I just told her I have guns and ammo. Many of those with a stock pile do not. One of them will feed us to keep what they have. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top