JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FYI (I actually didn't know we were banned from this... looks like I was on the wrong side of the law a couple times) :eek:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100422/NEWS01/704229907#County.drops.ban.on.guns.in.parks

The County Council voted to repeal the law to bring it into line with state laws.

By Noah Haglund
Herald Writer

EVERETT — Snohomish County councilmen voted Wednesday to repeal a ban on guns in county parks and bring the county back into agreement with state law.

A majority of the council also passed a motion asking the state to give local governments more authority to restrict firearms at municipal facilities.

That votedivided the council along party lines.

Republican John Koster initially proposed the code change to get rid of an unenforceable firearms prohibition. In January, the Democrats who hold the other four council seats declined to support the move.

By Wednesday's hearing, three Democrats joined Koster and voted 4-0 to update the code. Councilman Mike Cooper was absent.

"I have reached the conclusion that our code is inconsistent with state law," Councilman Dave Somers said.

Snohomish County's prohibition on guns in parks dates from 1971.

In the 1980s, Washington passed a law preventing local governments from passing gun laws that are more restrictive than the state's. Snohomish County's discrepancy didn't draw any attention until Seattle last year banned guns from city parks, a vote that was overruled in court.

During Wednesday's hearing, Council Chairman Dave Gossett said he wanted to approve a motion that would explain to constituents why he was changing the county code in a way that he doesn't agree with.

His motion asked that local governments be given the authority to prohibit guns at all government facilities by people who do not have a concealed weapons permit.

Part of the motion reads, "the Snohomish County Council sees serious problems with allowing unrestricted possession of firearms in county parks, a place where children should be able to play and families gather without feeling threatened."

Gossett said that state law, as written, would allow people to carry shotguns or AK-47s into county parks.

Koster challenged Gossett and pointed to a state law that prohibits people from using weapons to intimidate people.

"All this hype about AK-47s and shotguns is ridiculous," he said.

The motion passed 3-1, with Koster the only "no" vote. Koster later called the motion "posturing" over guns. It was the first time, he said, the council had passed a motion to state what it wanted the Legislature to do.

Gossett could not recall any similar motion and agreed that the move is uncommon. The council often does approve resolutions supporting community projects or economic issues.

Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465, [email protected].

You can thank me for that, I wrote a letter to the county council asking that they bring the county in-line with state law a few weeks ago. Obviously it was very effective. :s0114::winkkiss:

Kidding aside it's very good news though. :s0155:

Part of the motion reads, "the Snohomish County Council sees serious problems with allowing unrestricted possession of firearms in county parks, a place where children should be able to play and families gather without feeling threatened."

Exactly, I want to carry on my person at all times so I do not feel threatened, whoever wrote that obviously didn't look at the flip side of the coin.

How about the safety of those children being defended by parents, from predators in those parks? These hoplophobes only care about their own paranoid delusions, not the safety of We the People..:(

I'm glad it got dropped as it wasn't legal in the first place, like a lot of ordinances that get setup around this country that shouldn't ever be passed due to legislation prior saying laws like that can't be passed.

My question is, when are people going to understand, bad guys don't give a rip about the law, they will carry weapons anywhere and everywhere without regard for the law.
WE THE PEOPLE, who abide by, and uphold the law shouldn't be disarmed and held helpless due to pieces of paper that the bad guys don't care about.

This decision is one step in the right direction, I hope we keep making strides like this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top